mtbr member
    Oct 2005

06 Trance 2 or 06 Anthem 2 ?????????

Still trying to decide between the two.

I would probably do about 2 Expert class races next year and the majority of my mountain biking is done for fun.

I'm coming from a steel hardtail and any suspension will be a welcome upgrade. The only thing that's putting doubts in my head is the weight of the Trance 2. I'm 6'2" and 170 pounds and live and ride in the Pacific Northwest.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Anthem 1 = $ or Anthem 2 = <$

I ride Trance 2 and do Endurance races 6-8-12-24hrs and sometimes XC at novice level.

With your ability, Anthem's got your name on it, plus I'm thinking about getting Anthem as my next bike.

mtbr member
    May 2005

Trance or Anthem

I've been trying to make the same decision.

It's going to come down to test riding both and seeing which one feels better.

Since you're coming from a hardtail, the Anthem is going to feel more familiar to you. Sprintier, slightly quicker handling and acceleration, but a bit twitchier and harsher than the Trance. Sorry for the creative wording.

The Trance will be more comfortable and stable (in general; depends on your setup) and feel smoother. I'd say you won't really notice a weight difference except for long smooth climbs, but it will be more efficient on rough climbs because it's more active than the Anthem.

Hope that helps.
    N8

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Yes, good information.

I'm leaning more towards the Trance as I wouldn't consider myself a MTB racer, more as a softie roadie with a MTB background. Maybe the extra cush would be better.

MTB B'dos
    Well with your discription of your riding style I'd say you'd be much happier in the long run with the Trance. Although in the beginning you'd probably get accustomed to the Anthem faster (less sag/bounch more like a HT) but once you do get accustomed to the Trance's SAG it's an excellent bike to ride both uphill and down and soaks up everything. Definitely the Trance is a more fun oriented bike and definitely more plush. With the RP3 coming stock on the T2 it's a great setup (only thing I wish for my T3, besides the upgrades I've done).
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Trance 2 it is.

Very good information from everyone. Thanks.

I've ordered an 06 Trance 2. Can't wait to re-discover mtb'ing.

Members who have read this thread: 0