mtbr member

'06 Reign 2 shock orientation question

'06 Reign 2 comes with a Fox RP3 shock. It's a pain in the a$$ to connect a pump to the schraeder valve because interference with the upper shock linkage.

I rotated the shock 180 degrees so the schraeder valve is accessible but the now the pro-pedal selector is facing backward. When the shock bottoms out it looks like the pro-pedal selector could hit the frame. It looked real tight when I disconnected the shock and moved the rear wheel to MAX travel.

Is there a real concern for damaging your shock when rotated 180 degrees during bottom-out?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    there's only one way to find. since you rotated the shock already just deflate the shock and compress it! see if there's any clearance issues,

mtbr member
    OK - I went out and reduced shock pressure. I wasn't sure if this was a bad idea as I seem to recall this was a no-no for other rear shocks like the 5th Air and DHX 5.0 Coil.

Anyway, there seems to be a good 1/4" of clearance between the pro-pedal lever and the Reign frame before the shock compresses the bottom-out bumper. I'm not sure how much further the shock will travel but I suspect it should be OK. This seems like a pretty low risk to me.

I'll post back if I break my shock.