mtbr member
    Aug 2005

05 Reign with fox vanilla coil rear shock

I have read in a number of posts that the vanilla r coil shock will fit the Reign.

Has anyone here set up and ridden this combo yet?

I would love to try a coil shock on this bike with no form of "pro-pedal" or "platform."

I'm real close to pulling the trigger on a vanilla shock, because they are cheap, but I wish I could find out for sure that it will fit ok.

Too Kool for Skool
    talk to gorz about this. he said he fit an old one on his reign. i think he said it has to be the same eye to eye length, not have a piggyback resivoir and be no more than 2 inch's wide
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

New question here.

Any news on this, also what shock size does the reign use, eye to eye and stroke, also is the shock size the same for the 05 and 06 models?
    Cheers, Ben.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The Vanilla R will fit the Reign

Stock Reign's manitou 3 way is 200mm or 7.878" with either a 2" or 2.25" stroke am not sure which.

The Fox Vanilla R should fit. The limiting Reign's dimension is the width of the shock cage. However the width of the Vanilla R (or RL) does fit in the Reign's shock cage.

I have a Reign and a couple of vanilla shocks, and did the measuring.

Too Kool for Skool
    i believe its a 2 inch stroke. Does that mean if u got a shock with 2.25 stroke squeezed in there you would have about 7 inches??
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

In exile
    If you put a 2.25" stroke shock on it, plan on the linkage bashing into the seat tube. I wouldn't do it. I can try a vanilla in there, but after pushing the RP3, I don't know why you would want the weight of a coil. If you put a Ti spring on a vanilla, I doubt that it would fit.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    i'm actually really interested in putting a vanilla r on the back of my 05 reign frame for "light freeride". do you think a vanilla would bottom out too easily on decent sized drops? i'd want to send it to PUSH industries, so they could probably tune the shock to ramp up nicely.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by gukachu
    i'm actually really interested in putting a vanilla r on the back of my 05 reign frame for "light freeride". do you think a vanilla would bottom out too easily on decent sized drops? i'd want to send it to PUSH industries, so they could probably tune the shock to ramp up nicely.
    Hmmm...I didn't think about that. Is the Reign suspension design linear, rising rate, or falling rate, at the end travel? How would you find out?

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    Hmmm...I didn't think about that. Is the Reign suspension design linear, rising rate, or falling rate, at the end travel? How would you find out?
    The Reign's rear suspension is VERY linear. Too linear in fact IMHO. The good new is PUSH will re-work a Fox RP3 or Vanilla specifically for the Reign and your weight/riding style.

For example, with the RP3 they reduce the internal volume of the air chamber and increase the mid stoke damping to make the suspension more progressive. If you give them a call, I'm sure they would be more than happy to give you advise on how the Vanilla would work on the Reign, and what they could do to improve the performance (if you're interested).

If you want to know more about the Reign suspension, download this program called linkage:

http://www.bikechecker.com/

The model for the Reign's suspension is in the On-line library.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve71

If you want to know more about the Reign suspension, download this program called linkage:

http://www.bikechecker.com/

The model for the Reign's suspension is in the On-line library.
    WOW!! - thanks Steve71 - that suspension program is AWESOME!

I have not got a ton of riding in on my Reign (still breaking in the suspension) but in comparing it to my Specialized BigHit expert, I like how the bighit is really smooth and active even in low speed stuff, but don't like the 44 pound weight as a trail bike.

So that's why I'd like to try a vanilla R, or RP3 on the Reign, to get more of the "feel" of my bighit.

Steve71 - How is the RP3 working out on the Reign - have you got it Pushed yet?

Motion activated
    Quote Originally Posted by deoreo
    WOW!! - thanks Steve71 - that suspension program is AWESOME!

I have not got a ton of riding in on my Reign (still breaking in the suspension) but in comparing it to my Specialized BigHit expert, I like how the bighit is really smooth and active even in low speed stuff, but don't like the 44 pound weight as a trail bike.

So that's why I'd like to try a vanilla R, or RP3 on the Reign, to get more of the "feel" of my bighit.

Steve71 - How is the RP3 working out on the Reign - have you got it Pushed yet?
    My RP3 is pushed, just not for me or my bike since I bought it used. Hopefully I'll be sending it to Push in the next month or so.

I don't have a lot of trail time on the RP3 so I don't have any solid conclusions about its performance over all. But so far I'm really impressed. It's great being able to switch off the stable platform, as the bike feels a lot plusher under 10mph and just more active in general. The Reign also pedals really well with out a platform, so itís a win/win situation. In comparison, the Swinger 3 way (even with the minimum 50psi in the SPV chamber) can feel a little dead and a bit harsh below 10mph. The RP3 also just does a better job of keeping the tire sticking to the ground, you just feel like there is more traction.

The RP3 is still about as linear as the Swinger, but that will change when Push sets it up for the Reign.

I've owned a 6" travel Turner DH bike (Turner Afterburner) that had a Fox RC coil, but I don't have enough time on the RP3 to do a fair comparison, but I wouldn't be surprised if the Pushed RP3 is a lot better in most regards than a stock RC. Defiantly talk to push about it though, as they really know their stuff. I'd go with whatever they say if you don't mind the extra weight of the coil. If you get the time to call them, please post their thoughts. It would be great to hear what they have to say.
    Happiness is a warm 2 stroke.