mtbr member
    Nov 2005

05 or 06 Reign - Much difference?

I was in my LBS (UK) the other day inquiring about buying a Reign 2.
    I was told that they wouldn't be able to get one until the end of March when the "new" model is released, which from the bloke's description sounds like the US 06 frame.

By comparing the US 06 spec with the current UK 06 spec the other changes seem to be a thru-axle front hub, Fox instead of Manitou rear shock, a different Nixon front fork and some swapping of Shimano bits for SRAM.

Have they changed anything else?

Should I:

a) Find a "current" model UK Reign and try and haggle the price down on the basis that a new model is coming?

or

b) Wait until April and get the "new" type because the alterations over the current bike are worth waiting for?

Any help appreciated.

Niall

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    06 US Reign frame has 1/2 degree slacker head angle and a alignes the downtube with the crank centre (more or less). Thus, the shock pierces the downtube by quite a bit. Suggest you look in the GIant US website to see it.

I would get the 'new frame'. It is also supposed to be lighter (unconfirmed).

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    they are both good, however, '06 comes with a tad better parts, but leaves you with a more exposed shock, and is more expensive, if you can score a '05 for really cheap, than go the '05.

Too Kool for Skool
    i have a 05 reign3 and i cant say (except the flexy fork and crappy hayes soles) theres anything wrong with it. i think ull get a better deal with an 05 (if u can get a clearance price) but the 06 seems to be alil more dh oreinted (thru axel and slacker head angle)
    Quote Originally Posted by coma13
    it's short but it's pretty.... just like a guatemalan hooker...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Reign 2 - Here we come

Cheers for the advice guys.

Just found a UK website that is selling an 05 Reign 2 for £1,250 ($2,185) which is a whole £500 ($874 according to Yahoo) cheaper that the RRP that everyone else is selling at!

Sold!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Hey Niall,
    before you order it.....I presume its from Paul's - give Bonthorne a ring - they are doing them for £1125 delivered, getting one this week!! So order it ASAP coz they aint gonna be there for long!!!!

Let me know how you get on.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Just in the nick of time

Thanks for the advice CLANGER69. Tried Bonthrone and Paul's who were both sold out of 18"ers. Have just bought one from The Cycle Centre in Cheshire for £1,312.50 (and they only had two 18"ers left! - make that one left now!!) Still much much better than RRP.

Thanks for the heads up,

Niall