Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    I love burritos.
    Reputation: Lemonhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    171

    ... and if we just ... '04 Skareb Super: 80mm or 100mm for NRS?

    I need a new fork and thought about getting a Fox Float 100 RLC. But I realize that, although the Fox is plush and stiff, it might be too heavy for me and too much fork for the type of riding I do. That being said, I finally decided to go with a Skareb Super.

    I'm coming from an 80mm fork right now and, somtimes, it would be nice to have that extra 20mm available, which is why I'm strongly leaning towards the 100mm. However, my only concern is how that extra 20mm will affect my geometry. I've heard that steering will be more sluggish, but I have a short stem (90mm) so I don't think it'll be too noticeable.

    Has anyone tried a 100mm Skareb on their NRS? I don't race or anything. Just some Norcal trails. I've just heard that it's generally better to have more travel in the front than in the back.
    Last edited by Lemonhead; 03-30-2004 at 09:14 PM.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    19

    I run 100 mm

    Hey I have a giant 04' NRS 2, it's got a manitou reverse arch 100 mm AXEL, on it. It's not a Skareb Super but, it's a 100 mm manitou the same. I can notice a slight difference between the two settings (mine is variable travel 80-100mm) anyways, the extra travel is really nice for days when you're feeling more gutsy, and I'd race on the 100 mm too, if you're soley racing, I go with the 80 mm for more effiency, but for trail riding go for the 100mm.

    Hope this helps

    -Polaris009

  3. #3
    I love burritos.
    Reputation: Lemonhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    171
    Actually, any feedback on any 100mm fork on an NRS would help.
    Quote Originally Posted by polaris009
    I can notice a slight difference between the two settings (mine is variable travel 80-100mm)
    What differences did you experience? Slower steering? Did the front end pop up easier on steep climbs?

    I always feel like my weight is WAY forward on my current setup, especially on descents. Did the bike feel more balanced with the weight slightly shifted towards the back?

    Thanks.

  4. #4
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead
    Actually, any feedback on any 100mm fork on an NRS would help.

    What differences did you experience? Slower steering? Did the front end pop up easier on steep climbs?

    I always feel like my weight is WAY forward on my current setup, especially on descents. Did the bike feel more balanced with the weight slightly shifted towards the back?

    Thanks.
    I assume you're on an '03 or earlier frame? I recall reading the '04 NRS frame geometry was modified slightly to better accept a 100mm fork.

    On my '02 NRS, I ran a 105mm Manitou X-Vert (488 axle-crown height, I recall). Compare that to the 100mm Skareb at 473mm.

    I compensated for the extra front end rise by dropping my handlebar height through a stem change (in effect putting it right back where it was relative to my saddle height). Despite this modification, the front end of the bike felt slightly lighter on steeper climbs, but not to the point where I felt I was having trouble sticking with it. Definitely didn't turn the bike into a "wheelie machine". And with proper sag dialed in, I never got that "choppered out" feeling like I do with slack geometry.

    Given that the 100mm Skarebs and Blacks are a good deal shorter than the X-Vert I played with, I'd have no hesitation making this change. In fact, I bet you'd appreciate even more the extra versatility of the '04 Black Elite RTWD, which varies between 90mm and 120mm.

  5. #5
    I love burritos.
    Reputation: Lemonhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    171
    Quote Originally Posted by f*nŠtik
    I assume you're on an '03 or earlier frame? I recall reading the '04 NRS frame geometry was modified slightly to better accept a 100mm fork.

    On my '02 NRS, I ran a 105mm Manitou X-Vert (488 axle-crown height, I recall). Compare that to the 100mm Skareb at 473mm.

    I compensated for the extra front end rise by dropping my handlebar height through a stem change (in effect putting it right back where it was relative to my saddle height). Despite this modification, the front end of the bike felt slightly lighter on steeper climbs, but not to the point where I felt I was having trouble sticking with it. Definitely didn't turn the bike into a "wheelie machine". And with proper sag dialed in, I never got that "choppered out" feeling like I do with slack geometry.

    Given that the 100mm Skarebs and Blacks are a good deal shorter than the X-Vert I played with, I'd have no hesitation making this change. In fact, I bet you'd appreciate even more the extra versatility of the '04 Black Elite RTWD, which varies between 90mm and 120mm.
    That is correct. I have an '02 NRS (euro frame) and I run a 90mm x 0 deg. stem with a flat bar (probably why I feel so forward). I, too, think that, with the proper sag, popping up the front end wouldn't be such an issue. But, hey, I thought I read a while back that putting anything but a 80mm fork on an NRS frame will void the frame's warranty. Is this true?

    Also, on another note, I looked at the Skareb manuel on Answer's site and saw that they have specific "Ride Kits" (Soft, Medium, Firm, etc.) according to the rider's weight. What do these include and would they cost extra, or is it a free swap? I have an old Mantiou SX-Ti and I remember Manitou swapping out the OEM kit for a "Soft" ride kit for me. They sent new MCU's and a softer Ti spring for free, under the condition that they got the OEM stuff back.

  6. #6
    On MTBR hiatus :(
    Reputation: Speedub.Nate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead
    That is correct. I have an '02 NRS (euro frame) and I run a 90mm x 0 deg. stem with a flat bar (probably why I feel so forward). I, too, think that, with the proper sag, popping up the front end wouldn't be such an issue. But, hey, I thought I read a while back that putting anything but a 80mm fork on an NRS frame will void the frame's warranty. Is this true?

    Also, on another note, I looked at the Skareb manuel on Answer's site and saw that they have specific "Ride Kits" (Soft, Medium, Firm, etc.) according to the rider's weight. What do these include and would they cost extra, or is it a free swap? I have an old Mantiou SX-Ti and I remember Manitou swapping out the OEM kit for a "Soft" ride kit for me. They sent new MCU's and a softer Ti spring for free, under the condition that they got the OEM stuff back.
    For the Skareb it will probably only be a spring. Take a look at their online owners manuals and you can see for sure what goes in to the model you're looking at, but I'm nearly certain there are no more elastomers involved (maybe they'll include a cylinder of nitrogen or hydrogen to inject :p)

    Manitou customer service has swung in the the "bad" realm and then back again towards "good" since the days of SX-Ti, so I really don't know if they'll do a gratis spring swap. They *DID* answer their phone when I called them earlier this week, so perhaps that's a good sign?

    Don't know about the warranty issue, but a lot of others run 100mm forks on their NRS's and I haven't heard of any related failures.

  7. #7
    \|/Home of the Braves\|/
    Reputation: RedRocker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    1,930
    I definitely do some steep climbs on my 03 NRS and have taken to leaving my Black in 100mm most of the time. I've gotten used to climbing with it there and while 80mm is better from a geometry standpoint most of the time I don't bother unless I've got an extended climb. Popping the front end up really is not an issue and I can get it up and over anything I typically ride over.
    Big hoopy.
    Turner Sultan / On One Inbred

Similar Threads

  1. Trying to decide between: 80mm or 100mm RX?
    By 1speed_Mike in forum Titus
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-03-2004, 03:43 PM
  2. 80mm or 100mm marzocchi?
    By variegatus in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-20-2004, 09:26 PM
  3. 04 super t vs 7in 888r?
    By biker3 in forum Downhill - Freeride
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-14-2004, 09:23 PM
  4. 100mm vs. 80mm form, climbing issues ?
    By RC JonB in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-10-2004, 08:38 PM
  5. SID Team v. Skareb Platinium v. Skareb Super
    By Esben in forum Shocks and Suspension
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-19-2004, 04:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •