Xipe Totec
    Mar 2004

New question here. '04 Rincon's RST Cappa fork spring (help?!?)

Just getting back into riding, searched around for a new entry-level bike, bought a 2004 Rincon (size 19, all stock so far).

I weigh in at 205 lbs. Apparently, that's too much for the springs in the RST Cappa that came on the bike off the shelf at PerformanceBikes. I'm riding fairly conservatively and it's bottomed out a few times already on me with just small roots. The little twisty-caps on top of the tubes do little to nothing to change this problem.

I think I want to look into stiffening it up this fork if possible. I've read elsewhere that RST has different stiffness springs available for this fork (hardest spring part # FK7935 - about $20 online price)

So here's the real question: Anybody know if Giant is putting the harder(stiffest) springs in the forks for the larger (size 19+) frame bikes?

Seems to me this would make sense (bigger rider = more expected weight), but in the event the springs are the softer ones, I'll gladly cough up the extra $20 for an improved ride. I just don't want to spend the $20 to find out there's no difference in the springs I'm replacing. If that's the case, I'll just save up for a whole new front fork.

Anybody know about the springs? Advice otherwise?
    Thanks in advance!
    No Good. No Evil. Only Flesh.

Hail to the King, baby

I have a 19" frame...

I am surprised that you have a Capa TL fork, since the 2004 Rincon is supposed to have a SR Suntour XC 60 fork. The 2003 Rincon came with a RST Capa TL fork. Are you sure you weren't sold a 2003 bike, which was claimed to be a 2004 bike?

The colours are different this year. The 2003 came in either dream silver or blue/white. The dream silver had black and white accents. The 2004 silver bike has blue and white accents. The other 2004 colour is red/black.

The 2003 came with an Altus front derailler. The 2004 comes with a Acera front derailler.

In any case, I bought 2003 Rincons for my wife and myself last year. She has the 17" frame and I have the 19" frame. Both came with RST Capa TL forks using medium springs. The first thing I did was put the hard springs in my RST fork. I was going to do my wife's bike too, but she was happy with the medium springs, since she weighs much less.

The hard springs were much better, but in the end, I upgraded both bikes to 2004 Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 120mm forks and front Avid mechanical disc brakes, with Deore XT front disc hubs.

One thing that particularly annoyed me about the Rincon's was the 26 inch 500gm steel handlebars. I upgraded those to 23.6 inch Performance Topo XC 220 gram aluminum alloy riser bars. I got a deal on the lighter bars at Performance, $20 ea. This saved 280 grams per bike. The 2004 Rincon comes with the same steel handlebar as the 2003, so you may want to do a similar swap. The narrower bars are also much better on narrow forest single track. There is less bar hanging out to clip the trees.

You may also want to consider removing the chain guard to save some more weight. I don't know about the 2004 model, but the 2003 model is very heavy in the front drivetrain. That is what I am thinking of upgrading next.

old_dude

Quote Originally Posted by Cenobite
    Just getting back into riding, searched around for a new entry-level bike, bought a 2004 Rincon (size 19, all stock so far).

I weigh in at 205 lbs. Apparently, that's too much for the springs in the RST Cappa that came on the bike off the shelf at PerformanceBikes. I'm riding fairly conservatively and it's bottomed out a few times already on me with just small roots. The little twisty-caps on top of the tubes do little to nothing to change this problem.

I think I want to look into stiffening it up this fork if possible. I've read elsewhere that RST has different stiffness springs available for this fork (hardest spring part # FK7935 - about $20 online price)

So here's the real question: Anybody know if Giant is putting the harder(stiffest) springs in the forks for the larger (size 19+) frame bikes?

Seems to me this would make sense (bigger rider = more expected weight), but in the event the springs are the softer ones, I'll gladly cough up the extra $20 for an improved ride. I just don't want to spend the $20 to find out there's no difference in the springs I'm replacing. If that's the case, I'll just save up for a whole new front fork.

Anybody know about the springs? Advice otherwise?
    Thanks in advance!

Xipe Totec
    Mar 2004

Bah! you're right - it's a 2003...

[size=1]
    Quote Originally Posted by old_dude
    I am surprised that you have a Capa TL fork, since the 2004 Rincon is supposed to have a SR Suntour XC 60 fork. The 2003 Rincon came with a RST Capa TL fork. Are you sure you weren't sold a 2003 bike, which was claimed to be a 2004 bike?
    [/size]
    My mistake - now that you mentioned the color differences, I remember things more clearly now (I was wavering between the two model years at the store) I do in fact have a 2003. I preferred the somewhat more subdued silver/white/black accents. (the model-year clearance sale price helped my decision a little, too.)

[size=1]
    Both came with RST Capa TL forks using medium springs. The first thing I did was put the hard springs in my RST fork.
    [/size]
    Exactly the answer I was looking for! Thanks for that old_dude!

[size=1]
    One thing that particularly annoyed me about the Rincon's was the 26 inch 500gm steel handlebars.
    [/size]
    no kidding. Seeing as how I can upgrade for not a lot of $$$, this might be the next thing I do, right after the springs. I'm still at the point where it's a little easier for me to cut weight off my waistline as opposed to my bike, but that time will come. Plus I don't dig the idea of running my shoulder into a tree either if I can help it.

Again, thanks a bunch for the reply. The extra advice on some other upgrades is appreciated too. I sort of knew I'd bought an entry level bike that would do "ok" off the showroom floor, but would work even better as I slowly upgrade parts here/there.
    No Good. No Evil. Only Flesh.