mtbr member

'04 NRS 1 Routine Maintenance?

Just picked up an '04 NRS 1. Couple Q's:

What size headtube?

What type of maintenance do you do on bushings/pivot points?

Any quirks I should know about?

Thanks. So far I like the bike. I've never ridden anything other than hardtails.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    i have a composite NRS (with integrated headset), but i (safely) presume the aluminium NRS has giant's standard MTB internal headset:

*50mm outer diameter headtube
    *44mm internal diameter headtube
    *shallow cups
    *36/45 degree ACB
    *1-1/8" steerer

eg: FSA Orbit ZS or Giant XTC headset

as you're probably aware, they usually come from the same (TH Industries) factory, branded as FSA, Giant, Aheadset, Cane Creek, etc.

i'm not aware of any quirks in the rear suspension, nor any special maintenance of the bushings/bearings. no doubt it depends upon the conditions you ride in - dry vs wet/muddy, dusty, sandy, etc - but simple commonsense should see the pivots last a 'as expected', which should be years. they probably don't need stripping/cleaning any more than you would do your bottom bracket or headset. that may mean 1~2x a year, subject to riding conditions and km's (miles).

i haven't stripped mine to know, but if some of the pivots use brass bushings, once these wear out i'm sure you can upgrade to sealed bearings. you will need to use 'blue' loctite to secure the bolts, and of course a decent torque wrench is ideal.

the NRS is my first FS bike too. i love it, having ridden Giant's HT XTCs for quite a while now. i have the luxury of riding either, subject to the conditions and how enthusiastic i am (i just ride 'recreationally'). but i usually default to the NRS.

[size=1]
    - Giant NRS Composite - Giant XTC2 - Giant TCRCzero - Giant OCR1 -
    [/size]
    [size=1]- nothing stock here - move right along now -
    - Geelong area, Australia -
    [/size]