Thread: '02 NRS3 Help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

'02 NRS3 Help!

Alright I need a bit of help and I'm rather ignorant as to the functionality of mountain bikes at this point, so please bear with me.
    I recently purchased a 2002 NRS 3 from a bikeshop on closeout for a good price. Over the last few weeks, I've been riding the bike quite a bit (about 20 miles a day - lots of street miles, stairs and other urban things like that, and some very minor trails.)
    Anyway, a few things have come to my attention. One of which is a sort of creaking noise when I push down heavily on the right foot in the higher gears while on either of the two bigger front gears. Another problem is trying to shift down from gear two to one in the front.
    I am fairly certain that both problems stem from the crankset. Do you all agree? If so what can I replace it with? I don't really understand the crankset specs, so a little enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm about 6"3" and I weigh about 210lb. I want to get a really sturdy crankset capable of sustaining my weight without bending or whatever.
    Please help!

No Brakes
    Have you tried tightening the crank bolts? Also, check your seat rails and the bolts connecting to the seat post.

As for shifting in the front, I'm assuming it's hestitating from mid to small ring right? Play around with the adjustment screws. Check here for instructions on adjusting the front derailleur:

http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/FAQindex.shtml

Lastly, the NRS is not meant to be a urban bike...it's designed to be a XC race bike. Giant's VT series or better yet, their AC series, would be better suited to what you're currently doing.

Hope this helps and happy trails!

NoBrakes

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by No Brakes
    Have you tried tightening the crank bolts? Also, check your seat rails and the bolts connecting to the seat post.

As for shifting in the front, I'm assuming it's hestitating from mid to small ring right? Play around with the adjustment screws. Check here for instructions on adjusting the front derailleur:

Yea, there is hesitation when shifting from mid to small. Actually it's more like sometimes I shift from mid to small and it just doesn't do anything so I have to shift back and forth until it finally drops.

I'll try your suggestions. What can you tell me about what kind of crankset I would need? It seems the ISIS cranksets are more suited for people my size - can I just buy an ISIS crankset and stick it on there, or do I have to do something special?

As for the NRS not being suited for urban environments, there isn't much I can do about that now....

No Brakes
    For the front derailluer, it's all about alignment...unless your a pro mechanic, trial and error is the only way. I'm sure your derailluer is in fine working condition. It probably just needs to be adjusted properly. Save a few bucks and try it, you'll definitely learn something. The situation you mentioned also happens to me. Here's what I did: loosen the main bolt (the one that keeps the derailluer attached to the seat tube) just a bit and turn the derailluer inward, away from the rings. DO NOT loosen the bolt too much...just enough that you have to use a little force to even turn the derailluer inward. You do not have to turn it inward too much either...just a millimeter or two is all it needs. Once you have done that, tighten up the clamping bolt and try shifting from small to medium and then medium to large amd back...best if you're riding. Trust me, it take a while to get it right but it'll get there. Also, you could try tightening the shifter cable tension at the shifter barrel. Don't need a whole lot...just test it after at each adjustment.

As for cranks, if you haven't taken the cranks apart for maintenance, this might be a good time to do so. A good cleaning and greasing usually solves a lot of the creaking. If you want to upgrade, check the product reviews on this site. People here give a lot of feed back on what's good and what's not. Personally, I have a '01 NRS3 that was/is constantly being upgraded. I upgraded the cranks to Sh!mano's '03 XT last year and have put over 700 miles on them and they're still going strong. But then again, I'm only 5'9" and 175 and 90% of the miles are trail miles.

Your bike is still fairly new so read up on the products before upgrading...unless something fails. Good luck!

NoBrakes

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Adjustment procedure

Quote Originally Posted by blake
    Alright I need a bit of help and I'm rather ignorant as to the functionality of mountain bikes at this point, so please bear with me.
    I recently purchased a 2002 NRS 3 from a bikeshop on closeout for a good price. Over the last few weeks, I've been riding the bike quite a bit (about 20 miles a day - lots of street miles, stairs and other urban things like that, and some very minor trails.)
    Anyway, a few things have come to my attention. One of which is a sort of creaking noise when I push down heavily on the right foot in the higher gears while on either of the two bigger front gears. Another problem is trying to shift down from gear two to one in the front.
    I am fairly certain that both problems stem from the crankset. Do you all agree? If so what can I replace it with? I don't really understand the crankset specs, so a little enlightenment would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm about 6"3" and I weigh about 210lb. I want to get a really sturdy crankset capable of sustaining my weight without bending or whatever.
    Please help!

Shimano's website for starters. There is a pdf manual for front and rear derailleurs. Once you know how to set up and adjust your shifting, you're golden. Your cable may have stretched since buying the bike. Your low limit F derailleur screw may also be limiting the drop of the derailleur. The derailleur may be "cocked" and not inline with the front chainrings.

The sqeak may be the crank arms need grease on the BB/crank arm interface. May need tighter bolting. May even be loose/dry BB cups (I just experienced this, it was a 5 minute biatch to isolate and a 20 minute fix, easy though I have the tools). Grease BB cups inside and threads in the BB shell before tightening. Stops 99.9% of noise unless there is wear.
    Also check the seatpost and shim. GREASE it well. Wipe excess off the seatpost afterwards.
    Are your pedals in good shape? Check them too.

mtbr member
    My buddy bought the same bike and after riding for a while (and pulling his hair out from all that creaking) we found it's the seatpost shim. I popped my seatpost in there and there ya' go! No creaking! Not promising that's your problem, but it sure had us stumped! btw-I had that frame and just recently upgraded to a VT due to the fact that I weigh 210 suited up and I'm a pretty rugged trail rider. that NRS made me a bit nervious with it's thin walls!