mtbr member

`04 Giant Warp DS1, what upgrades?

I just picked up an `04 Warp DS1 for cheap. At least that's what the frame says. The rear derailleur is a 7 speed Shimano Acera and it has this seemingly crappy SR Suntour front fork. Tektro V-brakes. I can't imagine the crappy components that would be on the DS2 if the DS1 is equipped with an Acera! Are these the stock components?

What upgrades would you all suggest? I am already thinking about disc brakes since the mount is there. An LX rear would be nice too, as well as carbon fiber bars and seat post.

How do I tell what disc brakes and fork will fit the bike?

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by HazGas
    I just picked up an `04 Warp DS1 for cheap. At least that's what the frame says. The rear derailleur is a 7 speed Shimano Acera and it has this seemingly crappy SR Suntour front fork. Tektro V-brakes. I can't imagine the crappy components that would be on the DS2 if the DS1 is equipped with an Acera! Are these the stock components?

What upgrades would you all suggest? I am already thinking about disc brakes since the mount is there. An LX rear would be nice too, as well as carbon fiber bars and seat post.

How do I tell what disc brakes and fork will fit the bike?
    Your Warp must have been downgraded instead of upgraded by the previous owner. Original was 8 spd with Deore rear derailleur, avid disc brakes, Rock Shox Judy fork.

Click here for link to Giant's archive website on 04 Warp DS 1

Sounds like your bike has Boulder SE level components -- possibly the previous owner had a warranty issue with a Boulder SE, and paid a little extra to get the Warp frame as a warranty upgrade?

For upgrades, I would upgrade to an 8 or 9 speed drivetrain, Deore level is good, if you have the cash XT is super sweet. Skip the carbon bars, you'll never really get the Warp lightweight, anyway. Disc brakes would be good, I personally like Shimano disc brakes, whether hydraulic or cable -- may need new wheels if your hubs aren't disc-ready. Forks are expensive, but will make a much better ride.

good luck and happy trails!

mtbr member
    Thanks for your help.

I have heard that if the rear hub is meant for 7 speed cassettes, that a 7 speed is all that will fit on there. Which means I will need to get a whole new hub (might as well buy a used wheelset). Is that true?

I just let one RIP
    Quote Originally Posted by HazGas
    Thanks for your help.

I have heard that if the rear hub is meant for 7 speed cassettes, that a 7 speed is all that will fit on there. Which means I will need to get a whole new hub (might as well buy a used wheelset). Is that true?
    most likely true. Most 7 speeds are not a cassette, but a freewheel. so to upgrade to an 8 or 9 speed drivetrain, a new rear hub (or wheel) would be necessary. If it actually is a 7 speed cassette, you would not need a new hub or wheel.

Bike Geek

suspension

i WOULD keep the drivetrain the same. I would upgrade the fork and the rear shock
    RIP AL DAVIS

bikerbert
    When I had my DS 2 I put the following on it:
    Rock Shox Duke XC U-Turn
    Deore Mechanicals
    Race Face Evolve cranks, Atlas Seat Post
    Specialized Stem/Riser
    Alex TD 17 wheels
    SRAM X9 triggers and Rear der + XGen Front
    Cane Creek Cloud 9, probably the best thing I did. Shaved a ton of weight off of it.

"El Whatever"
    Yeah, your bike was [terribly] downgraded.

My DS1 was "blinged out" from factory. It had Avid Mechanical Brakes, LX RD, decent wheels (Alex DM-18) and Deore shifters... Pretty solid spec for the price. The Fork was a Manitou Axel 100mm with adjustable rebound.

Pretty awesome bike for the price indeed.

Put a nice fork on it, a decent rear shock if your is not working (if the Giant HV is working, leave it alone, it's fine) and some disc brakes... But that will force you onto getting new wheels if you have a 7sp set-up.

Go for a decent 100-120mm fork like a Manitou Black or a MX Comp from Zoke.

Here's mine as it was from stock... Only change was the pedals.

Mine was a 2003, though... but differences with the DS1 from 2004 are slim (Deore RD instead of LX and Judy for the Axel)
    Check my Site

Bike Geek

shock

Will this fit your frame? I do not know the warp measurements, but if it works, it is a good deal.

http://blur.santacruzbicycles.com/ca...ueiaqb38ccnv43
    RIP AL DAVIS

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalruckus
    Will this fit your frame? I do not know the warp measurements, but if it works, it is a good deal.

http://blur.santacruzbicycles.com/ca...ueiaqb38ccnv43

No, it won't... it's too long.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

2006 Giant DS1

I just bought a this DS1 yesterday and I am wanting to do a few upgrades. I cannot find the spec anywhere on the net. Does anyone know the info I need to replace the forks?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by james04r6 View Post
    I just bought a this DS1 yesterday and I am wanting to do a few upgrades. I cannot find the spec anywhere on the net. Does anyone know the info I need to replace the forks?
    Any 100mm-120mm, 1 1/8" fork will do. The headset is a zero-stack.

Depending on model/year, they came with different forks from 80 to 120mm.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I think they are Rock Shox Judy and they suck... Thanks Wrap

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Will this fit my DS1 2010 Fox DHX5 Air shock, 8.5x2.5

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by james04r6 View Post
    Will this fit my DS1 2010 Fox DHX5 Air shock, 8.5x2.5
    No.

You need a 7.5"X2", as far as I can remember, but mind you it's been 5yrs since I don't own one. Doublecheck on that.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Thanks Warp

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    What kind if abuse can a stock trance x4 take like it's limits sorry posting from phone meant to be in another thread.