Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "Zap" Espinoza

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.

"Zap" Espinoza

Love him or hate him, he adds his own DNA and character to the sport.
    His articles were a mixed bag for me. Sometimes I agreed, other times it was rubbish.
    He seems to like his job at Trek.

I enjoyed the extreme opposites displayed here between him and the prep couple on the right in this pic I took at the Texas NORBA National.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What I find interesting about guys like him is how to they have tried to cultivate the aura of the "rad" and "gnarly" mountainbiker with half a hardway store up their noses, more tatoos than you would see at a Harley meeting in Sturges.

lol, next thing you know they're working for this giant corporation.

ricardo

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    His Editorial Letters where always better than Cunninghams. His humour and candor could never be as dry as Richard's. I felt that MBA was less influenced in their reviews by sponsors when Zap was there but I might simply have had more affinity for Zap...

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Well he has to like his job, he was unemployed!

The bike magazine market is sluggish right now, so he's lucky he found a job in coporate America. Mtn bike magazines are slowly disappearing from my local newstands. One of them is now quarterly instead of monthly, don't remember which one. "Flow" magazine comes out every so often. "Bike" has grown to expand coverage of DH and FR stuff, a move away from their original XC vibe. A move to stay in business I think because FR and DH is wear the excitement is visually.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    His articles were a mixed bag for me. Sometimes I agreed, other times it was rubbish.

I enjoyed the extreme opposites displayed here between him and the prep couple on the right in this pic I took at the Texas NORBA National.
    Funny about the picture, one day my wife and I walked into Rage Cycles in Tempe dressed like that couple. We got a load of sneers and sideways looks from this one couple in full tattoo and piercing uniform (which was almost customary attire in that shop). The shop owner and staff always treated us nicely though. Maybe it was because we had just bought two Quasi-Motos, maybe it was because they were just nice. We found it funny.

Anytime. Anywhere.

Zap

I don't care about his jewelry, tattoos, politics, views, working for Trek etc. When he dissed thumbshifters in one of his editorials he crossed the line and I put him on my "list".
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    "Bike" has grown to expand coverage of DH and FR stuff, a move away from their original XC vibe. A move to stay in business I think because FR and DH is wear the excitement is visually.
    which is exactly why my subscript' is classified as "Do Not Resuscitate".....I ain't renewing...

banned
    Apr 2004

I think he is real

I may not always agree with him and he has got some focked up ear lobes
    but his passion for bikes runs deep.
    He might even share DNA with Bob Roll for all we know.
    As far as selling out going to work for TREK, that's BS, who among us wouldn't trade in our day job for a job with a big bike company?

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    I don't care about his jewelry, tattoos, politics, views, working for Trek etc. When he dissed thumbshifters in one of his editorials he crossed the line and I put him on my "list".
    He dissed thumbshifters eh? Hum.... He may now be on my "list" too

I still ride with thumbies, flat bars and bar ends.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

i think he sucked...

Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi
    As far as selling out going to work for TREK, that's BS, who among us wouldn't trade in our day job for a job with a big bike company?
    and his rants were usually wack but i agree his passion was real. nowadays that counts for something.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuelish
    which is exactly why my subscript' is classified as "Do Not Resuscitate".....I ain't renewing...
    Anyone who remembers the lovable bulC should know that he used to write for Bike when it still had lots of words and some XC bikes. Here's his handy work.

http://cherry.dcwi.com/cherry/reviews/bike6_94.html

My buddy Steve used to write for them too, but he's gone corporate... hehe.

Gravity Rides Everything
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Nazi

not if i had to ride a trek

of course my job now is at a specialized/trek/cannondale dealer. so

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    I also have to give him props for his passion for the sport. I didn't always agree with him, but I still read his editorials because it offered variety.

Now who's left to speak for mtn biking editorial wise? RIchard Cunningham from his "fare and balanced" MB Action mag?

11 is one louder than 10

He is an alright guy

Met him at O'Hare Airport once when we were both on a flight delay. Talked to him for a good 30 minutes. He's a good guy. Very down to earth and didn't hear a hint of ego. Writing editorials is supposed to provoke opinions. I didn't always agree with what he wrote, but that was his job.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Zap writes a newsletter called Exit 180, you can sign up for it at trek dot com, gives the "insiders" look at events and new product developements.

Anybody notice the Red Sox hat?

paintbucket
    Here's a before....
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Is that Tinker Jaurez in the middle?

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by dan(YELL)
    Is that Tinker Jaurez in the middle?
    Yah. And Tom Rogers on the left. Circa 1988.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

jrm
    mtbr member

He wrote about the "culture" of mountain biking

before many others latched on to the concept. He offended some at the same time. I remember reading his stuff when i first started riding in the mid 80's. In that day it made you "feel" like a mountain biker and part of the "tribe". I allways thought that the use of "tribe" to describe a group of people with a common love, passion or the like as real cool.

PS: what TV show was that were he had a segment..it was on OLN..

Pocket Pool Savant

Looks like the same rings on his hands.

Notice the rings. So, the jewelry hasn't changed all that much. Love that JT Racing hat. I think Tinker was still racing BMX at that point, wasn't he?

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Here's a before....

Tig
    I ride, therefore I am.
    [QUOTE=jrm]before many others latched on to the concept. He offended some at the same time. I remember reading his stuff when i first started riding in the mid 80's. In that day it made you "feel" like a mountain biker and part of the "tribe". I allways thought that the use of "tribe" to describe a group of people with a common love, passion or the like as real cool.[QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember the early days of MTB 'zines and his work was pretty cool. Later, his writings didn't do much for me. Either he changed or I did... or we both did!

I agree with those who commented on his passion for riding. That's something we all have in common so the differences soon disappear.

As for the prep look and those who judge, I get to be on both ends. During and after work, I'm all corporated out with a tie, and conservative people approve while more radicals lump me in with "Da' Man" group. When in shorts, my tattoo and shaved legs show and the poles reverse! Nope, no piercings, just a few ink spots. I get a kick out of how judgemental we can all be. Life is entertaining, to say the least.

The early bird gets the worm,
    but the second mouse gets the cheese.

34N 118W

what a d!ck !

I just asked for a simple photo at Sea Otter and here's what I got:

ok I'm kidding. I don't know the guy but he was cool enough to pose for this gag photo, strictly intended to rile up a buddy

where did that picture of the 3 guys come from? Tom R. was a neighbor and fellow BMX 'hood rat. Now he's at Marzocchi, still close by.

HW

I was wondering what happened to him, didn't know he ended up at Trek. He was a bit too race oriented for my taste. Really got tired of looking at his jewelry; that earlobe thing is just weird.
    "...the people get the government they deserve..."
    suum quique

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX
    Anyone who remembers the lovable bulC should know that he used to write for Bike when it still had lots of words and some XC bikes. Here's his handy work.

http://cherry.dcwi.com/cherry/reviews/bike6_94.html

My buddy Steve used to write for them too, but he's gone corporate... hehe.
    Wait, bulC is John Kukoda?

jrm
    mtbr member

Remember when he dissed the Clydesdale Class

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Bickle
    saying they were FAT..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast