Deviant

Yup. I'm going to die.

Whoever said that you never forget how to ride a bicycle was an idiot. These things are going to kill me.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Lol, make sure you have cleats positioned for early release. Had them opposite once and fell 20 times in one ride before I figured out.

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    Lol, make sure you have cleats positioned for early release. Had them opposite once and fell 20 times in one ride before I figured out.
    The pedals came preset at the easiest release position. The cleat positions is listed in different degrees and I just guessed at that. They seem quite easy to release. It's the remembering to release them part which is difficult.

mtbr member
    Yea, if you switch the cleats around I still, after 20 years, have yet to figure our how to get them to release. They will loosen up after a few rides.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Quote Originally Posted by LargeMan View Post
    This ^. Time makes it do you can flip the cleats backwards for an easier release. Plus you have the high end XS model. Same as mine. There’s a tiny screw you can adjust the float with.

----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    This ^. Time makes it do you can flip the cleats backwards for an easier release. Plus you have the high end XS model. Same as mine. There’s a tiny screw you can adjust the float with.

Yeah they actually feel about perfect just the way they are in the context of how easy they release. I guess I'll probably want to tighten it up a bit as I get used to it

Are those the Titan XS - carbon / titanium model?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Deviant
    Are those the Titan XS - carbon / titanium model?
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponized View Post
    Yes

Sweet! I started out with the aluminum ones. I ran them to death for 8 years. They never wore out. I upgraded to the XS Carbon Titanium ones like yours and have been running them for 9 years without an issue. Amazing pedals and once your brain clicks with clipping and unclipping you’ll never go back to whatever else you’ve had.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Deviant
    Sweet! I started out with the aluminum ones. I ran them to death for 8 years. They never wore out. I upgraded to the XS Carbon Titanium ones like yours and have been running them for 9 years without an issue. Amazing pedals and once your brain clicks with clipping and unclipping you’ll never go back to whatever else you’ve had.
    I can already notice a distinct difference in the amount of power/control I have available to the pedals. I'm going to spend a day in my yard wearing body armor getting used to these things then I'll run a few easy trails before hitting anything too technical

Formerly of Kent
    I rode the Hymasa-Ahab loop in 44:00 this weekend, clipped in, and lived to tell the tale. You'll be fine.
    Death from Below.

Just a flesh wound
    I've been clipless for a long time. I still fall over sometimes. Ride the neighborhood and stop and click out a hundred times. Before you know it you will wonder how you rode without them. And then you'll fall over again when you stop! Nice pedals.
    My name is Chris and I ride a Prophet 650b with a Lefty.

> /dev/null 2&>1
    I hope your wife is ready to sleep next to a bike

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    I hope your wife is ready to sleep next to a bike
    To get it in the house I use the excuse..."I need my suspension at 72 degrees to adjust sag".

Nat
    mtbr member
    I'm going to spend a day in my yard wearing body armor getting used to these things
    That's a funny image. A mental learning tool is to think "down and out," meaning push down with your foot then heel out, otherwise you'll try to simply lift your foot up and off the pedal (in which case you'll at least get to test your body armor).

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    That's a funny image. A mental learning tool is to think "down and out," meaning push down with your foot then heel out, otherwise you'll try to simply lift your foot up and off the pedal (in which case you'll at least get to test your body armor).
    Good tip

> /dev/null 2&>1
    To get it in the house I use the excuse..."I need my suspension at 72 degrees to adjust sag".
    Nice, will have to use that one. What do you say at the dinner table?

Moderator Moderator
    At least you'll do so doing what you love

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Nice, will have to use that one. What do you say at the dinner table?
    She can't cook so I'm safe there LOL

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Pedal around the neighborhood. One foot clipped in at a time. Practice.

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    Pedal around the neighborhood. One foot clipped in at a time. Practice.
    My yard actually works better. Going fast is easy. It's going really slow when I'm off balance that seems the hardest.

mtbr member
    20 years ago Times were my first clipless pedals. After numerous "going down like a tree in the woods" falls, I decided it was me or the pedals. I took a file to the cleats and rounded off the sharper features, testing the release as I went. I got them to where I could yank my foot out at will. By the time I wore them out, I found that I'd gotten good enough at it to not need any filing on the new cleats.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

Pro Crastinator
    was nice knowing you. hopefully you don't explode too...

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    20 years ago Times were my first clipless pedals. After numerous "going down like a tree in the woods" falls, I decided it was me or the pedals. I took a file to the cleats and rounded off the sharper features, testing the release as I went. I got them to where I could yank my foot out at will. By the time I wore them out, I found that I'd gotten good enough at it to not need any filing on the new cleats.
    I’ve been on them for 17 years. Early on I think it was Jenson that sold “pre-shaved” cleats. I bought a couple sets but soon didn’t need them. A buddy of mine back then did what you did after copying Jensons technique. Now they are designed to be switched front to back for an easier release while learning. Once you’ve mastered the technique of unclipping in an emergency as you said, just run them in the normal position without fail. Time pedals in my opinion are the best designed pedals out there. No moving parts makes them bomb proof and mud shedding. The easy way you clip in and out is hard to beat. The top of the line Titan XS Titanium / Carbon model is pricey, close to $400. When I bit the bullet and dropped that coin I cringed thinking they’d be a 3 year pedal. I’ve been beating the crap out of them for 9 years now, zero problems or maintenance. I’m due for a bearing rebuild only because of how long they’ve been going. I haven’t noticed any performance loss showing it’s time for it. For those not willing to drop that cash they make an all aluminum one for a fraction of the cost.

For proof of how tough these XS Tiatanium / Carbon pedals are. Go to :05 of this video. I normally rode rocky trails and rarely ever pedal strike. This day about a year ago I was on a groomed single track and managed to smack one of the few boulders at speed. I hit it so hard my rear tire launched sideways into the air and threw me off the trail. The pedal took the full impact and it didn’t even damage it. If it were my foot I’d surly would have broken it. Tough ass pedals for sure.

:05 here https://m.pinkbike.com/video/471777/
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    For those not willing to drop that cash they make an all aluminum one for a fraction of the cost.
    I tried swapping to those bitd and found they were very brittle and easily turned into scary jagged objects from pretty common rock strikes. Ended up breaking 3 in less than a season and went back to SPDs, which I tend to get a few years out of at least. If you ride somewhere rocky and want to go with Times, I'd stay away from the Al models myself.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Deviant
    I’ve been on them for 17 years. Early on I think it was Jenson that sold “pre-shaved” cleats. I bought a couple sets but soon didn’t need them. A buddy of mine back then did what you did after copying Jensons technique. Now they are designed to be switched front to back for an easier release while learning. Once you’ve mastered the technique of unclipping in an emergency as you said, just run them in the normal position without fail. Time pedals in my opinion are the best designed pedals out there. No moving parts makes them bomb proof and mud shedding. The easy way you clip in and out is hard to beat. The top of the line Titan XS Titanium / Carbon model is pricey, close to $400. When I bit the bullet and dropped that coin I cringed thinking they’d be a 3 year pedal. I’ve been beating the crap out of them for 9 years now, zero problems or maintenance. I’m due for a bearing rebuild only because of how long they’ve been going. I haven’t noticed any performance loss showing it’s time for it. For those not willing to drop that cash they make an all aluminum one for a fraction of the cost.
    I was able to shop around and get them for $298 on Amazon Prime

I was able to shop around and get them for $298 on Amazon Prime

Nice! I edited that post above with a video for proof of the bombproof nature of this design. Should give you peace of mind with your purchase.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Quote Originally Posted by slapheadmofo View Post
    I tried swapping to those bitd and found they were very brittle and easily turned into scary jagged objects from pretty common rock strikes. Ended up breaking 3 in less than a season and went back to SPDs, which I tend to get a few years out of at least. If you ride somewhere rocky and want to go with Times, I'd stay away from the Al models myself.
    Not my experience at all. I edited a video in that post for a proof positive of the bombproof design of those pedals.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    Not my experience at all. I edited a video in that post for a proof positive of the bombproof design of those pedals.
    Didn't you say you were running the carbon version? Whole different animal I'd imagine.
    The Al versions are the only pedals I've ever had that I consistently broke in short order.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Didn't you say you were running the carbon version? Whole different animal I'd imagine.
    The Al versions are the only pedals I've ever had that I consistently broke in short order.
    I rode the aluminum ones for years without issue. The Titan XS Carbon / Titanium ones I’ve been running forever as well. Which is the ones I was running in that video major pedal strike at speed. Didn’t even hurt them. I weigh 230 pounds and I was moving at a very good clip. That strike threw my bike sideways and in the air I hit it so hard. Love these pedals and I’m buying another set when it comes time.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    I rode the aluminum ones for years without issue. The Titan XS Carbon / Titanium ones I’ve been running forever as well. Which is the ones I was running in that video major pedal strike at speed. Didn’t even hurt them. I weigh 230 pounds and I was moving at a very good clip. That strike threw my bike sideways and in the air I hit it so hard. Love these pedals and I’m buying another set when it comes time.
    Glad you had better luck than I did.
    I killed them within weeks, weighing in around 165 and riding mainly slow-ish techy stuff. Think I still have them in the junk pile somewhere; I'll post a pic if I remember.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Glad you had better luck than I did.
    I killed them within weeks, weighing in around 165 and riding mainly slow-ish techy stuff. Think I still have them in the junk pile somewhere; I'll post a pic if I remember.
    I normally ride fast techy with a mix of slow techy stuff. Granted I rarely pedal strike being on an old geometry bike. That pedal strike was the hardest at speed I’ve ever done in 17 years of riding. It just happened to be on film and with the Carbon pedals that I thought wouldn’t be as tough. I can’t imagine if my foot hit that boulder instead of the pedal. Ouch! To say the least.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

C8N
    mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    I was suggested this when I started clipless

Name:  Michelin_Man_Custom_Mascot.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  89.4 KB

mtbr member
    Off topic, but man do I yearn for trails like that. In central CT, it's up a rocky rooty hill and down a rocky rooty hill, repeat. Getting too old (and lazy) for it!
    Last edited by Gasp4Air; 5 Days Ago at 06:11 PM.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    That is a sweet trail, I don't think we have that much flow here in SoCal either. ^^
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

Deviant
    Survived my 1st off-road trip. A short 2 mile loop with this fast section at the start. Really no issues but I never stall on this trail as its mostly beginner-to-intermediate level.

https://youtu.be/myvoP3Hjlr8

Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Off topic, but man do I yearn for trails like that. In central CT, it's up a rocky rooty hill and down a rocky rooty hill, repeat. Getting too old (and lazy) for it!
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    That is a sweet trail, I don't think we have that much flow here in SoCal either. ^^
    Definitely a fun flow trail. I usually ride more techy trails but it was a family reunion and that was a nice break for all skill levels. I’ll have to go hit it again soon. It’s only 1/2 an hour from me. Many other trails connected to it. Here’s another section of that trail from the same day, if interested.

https://m.pinkbike.com/video/471785/
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

mtbr member
    Definitely a fun flow trail. I usually ride more techy trails but it was a family reunion and that was a nice break for all skill levels. I’ll have to go hit it again soon. It’s only 1/2 an hour from me. Many other trails connected to it. Here’s another section of that trail from the same day, if interested.

https://m.pinkbike.com/video/471785/
    Nice, I would ride that every chance I got : ) Nothing like that near me though.
    2016 SC Heckler R build
    2014 All City Macho Man Disc
    Nashbar 29er (Rigid)

Giggity!

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    New to spd?

Stand over your bike. Jump on and click in as fast as you can. Then, without falling over, quickly detach and try to land on your feet. Do this over and over for a half hour or more, then go for a ride. Your brain should have figured it out and you will instinctually unclip when you lose control/fall.
    Goodbye '95 ZJ. Just so you know, transfering box of left behind womens panties to next truck. Thank you ZJ!

Deviant
    Quote Originally Posted by pdxmark View Post
    New to spd?

Stand over your bike. Jump on and click in as fast as you can. Then, without falling over, quickly detach and try to land on your feet. Do this over and over for a half hour or more, then go for a ride. Your brain should have figured it out and you will instinctually unclip when you lose control/fall.
    Been doing a similar drill several times a day in my yard. Tomorrow I'm going head-first and trying an intermediate Trail

Moderator Moderator
    Jun 2006
    As far as clipping in, start pedaling first and let the cleat find it's way. Sometimes it takes a couple revolutions; no biggie, it's way more important to unclip quickly than it is to clip.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

As far as clipping in, start pedaling first and let the cleat find it's way. Sometimes it takes a couple revolutions; no biggie, it's way more important to unclip quickly than it is to clip.
    Yep, I usually clip one in standing still and then pedal away and let the other one find it’s way and clip in. Like you said a revolution or two depending on the terrain.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Deviant
    Well today was trial by fire. I rode the most technical Trail in my area and this thing is a Bruiser even running flats. I went down 4 times and even did an endo once. 2 Falls were the result of a rider stalling mid Trail in front of me, or otherwise I would have made the climbs. The other two were dumbass line choices by myself.

In any event I felt quite good after this ride and it was a good thing I was wearing good pads. I guess on one hand it could be said it's a little early for me to be riding clipless as a rookie on such trails but that evil little man on my shoulder says... you got this... I'll hold your beer.

After today I really believe that if you're going to learn clipless, do the scary shit and get it out of the way

nimble biker
    nobody dies. I am disappointed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Really? I went back to flats and love it.
    OG Ripley v2
    Carver 420 TI

Quote Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
    Really? I went back to flats and love it.
    Really?
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)

Deviant
    There will likely be times when I'll swap back to flats for certain things, like casual riding on occasions or places that I don't want to carry extra shoes. Like the beach.

mtbr member
    flats ftw !