Thread: Yukon FX?

Dirt Slinger

Yukon FX?

Hey guys,
    have had my Giant Rincon 2010 small for about 1 1/2 years and I am already way too big for it. I like to ride the road a lot but preferably I ride mountain. The only sub 1000$ bike with full suspension that is decent I've found is the Giant Yukon FX. It retails for about 1050$ but could probably find one for less. Any other bike suggestions?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Your money would go a lot farther with a hardtail. Decent full suss starts at about 2500$. Maybe look for something used.

Dirt Slinger
    I did find a 2006 Teek ex9 carbon for only 900$ but my parents say that is way too much... My friend got a really nice FX off of ebay for 500$. Can not find anything there though. Thx dude.

Dirt Slinger
    Oops... Trek ex9 carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I love my 2012 Yukon FX. I primarily use it for riding local single track and downhill, and it has handled everything I have thrown at it with ease. I am 5'11" and 160, and I believe I got the medium frame. It fits me well, and for around $1k, the bike simply can't be beaten. The components are good for the money, and I highly recommend the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I had bought the Yukon for my wife to get her out on the trail. not TO TO bad for a first bike BUT i would never suggest this bike EVER... the only thing that was good on the bike were the tires! let me start with pros... good first bike. (for about 20 rides) cons hmm where to begin, the grips arent TO bad, handle bars are junk (geometry), all components are junk), wheels arent TO bad, seat is junk, seat post/clamp junk, brakes arent TO bad for mechanical, rear shock isnt TO bad but the front shocks are complete garbage! but all in all i bought this bike $400 used not a scratch on it and ridden 3 times before hand. looked bran new! tuned'r up hoping for the best and did nothing but give problems!!! DO NOT BUY!!! SAVE YOUR MONEY!!! going to the shop today to buy her a Trek Lush SL 29ER...

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    I was in the same boat as you recently, as I wanted a new bike. I still fit on my F9, but it was time for a new, better rig. I was also thinking about buying a Yukon FX, but the guy at the shop said that my money would be better spent on a hardtail, as the Yukon FX has a no lockout 4" (100mm) rear shock that bottoms out a lot and can break easily.
    I would suggest a Trek Mamba, which I found for $839 at my LBS, but then if you are willing to spend a little more dough, then there is the Trek Cobia which I found for $960 at my LBS. The Cobia has a soloair fork and is better than the XC32 on the Mamba. Both of these bikes are the best in their category for the price, so choose one of these and you'll have the best components for the price. I ended up buying the Cobia.
    Big Wheels Keep On Rolling

Forth Eorlingas!