mtbr member
    Oct 2014

Yellowstone Trip: Need Bike Tips

So my parents booked an RV out of nowhere for a month starting on July 10th. They said I could ride around for free and check out Yellowstone for a week (never been before, and yeah I know it'll be packed at that time). I'm really pumped about the opportunity, but am having trouble deciding what bike to bring.

They are heading out there on a Tuesday (retired and whatnot)... so that has me thinking that I'll head out there the Friday before that and get in some mountain biking around salt lake city for a few days. This seems like it'll be worth it, right?

If I decide to do this.... should I fly out with my Jeffsy for few days of mountain biking, and then be stuck riding it around the park on the road and whatnot?

Or would my El Mariachi be happy on the trails around there? It would be much better suited for pavement pounding.

My 3rd option would to be just fly out there without a bike, and rent a MTB for a few days.... because buying a new gravel bike is something I've been wanting to do. So I could buy it out there, and just pay to get it back one way.

Help me think through this!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    From what time I've spent in the park (only a few weeks over a few summers) the last few years, I wouldn't **** with taking a mountain bike. I'd pack backpacking gear and hike. Backcountry inside the park is wonderful and relatively empty.

Inside the park, I don't think there is any terrain that you'd need more than an El Mariachi for. If you are having someone drive you to rides outside the park, then there are lots of reasons to fly you Jeffsy out.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/bicycling.htm -- no cycling on backcountry routes. Those are what would be fun on a mountain bike.

If you need to get your MTB on during your trip, I'd spend a day at some lift serviced area (Jackson, Targhee) etc rather than hassle of flying a bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Hiking gear will definitely be coming!

I think i'll actually have a rental car most of the time... so i could go outside of the park to ride a few times.

The main time I would be mountain biking would be Saturday-Tuesday before my parents get out there... So that is what I would bring the Jeffsy for.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MudderNutter View Post
    Hiking gear will definitely be coming!

I think i'll actually have a rental car most of the time... so i could go outside of the park to ride a few times.

The main time I would be mountain biking would be Saturday-Tuesday before my parents get out there... So that is what I would bring the Jeffsy for.
    All the mountain biking worth doing is outside the park. Drives can be long depending on where you're staying, and traffic in-out of Yellowstone can be an absolute shit show that time of year. If you entering the park, plan to get to the entrance early so you don't spend lots of time waiting at the entrance gates.

Many of the best hikes are multi-day affairs in yellowstone. If you're doing Yellowstone with the rents, consider spending the days prior somewhere like Grand Teton NP where day hiking is a bit more exciting.