Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Front Range, Colorado
    In my above video when I rode off away from the hive I heard a buzzing sound. I thought they were chasing me then I realized it was my Chris King hubs.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

mtbr member
    I have not been on the bike since, cant go outside. Thinking of giving up the sport. I usually ride everyday, but cannot escape the feeling of doom. Have been riding since the 70's, maybe its time.

Rogue Exterminator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    I was stung so many times as a kid I think I've built up an immunity.
    It is just the opposite when it comes to bee stings.
    Getting stung multiple times will generally increase the likeliness for a reaction in future stings.

Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Funny you posted this because Sunday I was on a ride and came upon a fresh bee hive built into the dirt right on the trail. I saw new because I rode this trail last week and it wasn't there. The hive consisted of perfectly drilled holes almost the size of a dime that stretched down the trail about 20'. The bees were kind enough to let me stand on top of the hive and amongst the swarm without them stinging me. The incident is in the very beginning of this video.

Those appear to be miner bees. They are solitary bees (one per hole) and won't defend it. They are very docile and and I have never been stung by them. I have even proven it to customers (I do pest control) by standing in a field of them, jumping up and down and smacking the ground. lol
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I have not been stung often on the bike. Maybe once. I got stung trail running a couple of times. I got stung at least a dozen times as a kid. It never really bothers me that much.

There really isn't anything that's going to prevent insect stings. Deet only works on biting insects that are looking for blood. Wasps and bees are stinging in defense. They will not be deterred. Even long pants won't guarantee safety. They'll go for your neck. Also Epi pens are also not a sure thing. They're a last ditch effort to save your life. Epinepherine has a very short half life of only minutes. People have died from allergic reactions even after using multiple epi pens injections. Anaphylactic shock scares the crap out of healthcare professionals.

Front Range, Colorado
    Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    It is just the opposite when it comes to bee stings.
    Getting stung multiple times will generally increase the likeliness for a reaction in future stings.

Those appear to be miner bees. They are solitary bees (one per hole) and won't defend it. They are very docile and and I have never been stung by them. I have even proven it to customers (I do pest control) by standing in a field of them, jumping up and down and smacking the ground. lol
    Could be the case I don't know. All I know us as a kid I was stung by every kind of bee,wasp and hornet numerous times and never had a bad reaction other than the hurt swelling and itching of the sting sight itself. Later in life I've been stung by bees and wasps without a reaction. I think every persons different and it's a case by case basis. The video I posted above was just in coincidence to this thread. That ride was last Sunday just a day prior to this thread popping up.

Edit: I was stung as an adult by a Tarantula Hawk. A form of wasp that hunts Tarantulas and stings them only to paralyze the spider. Then the wasp lays her eggs on the abdomen of the spider. The babies then hatch and feed in the paralyzed Tarantula and eats him alive. I stepped on one of these wasps and felt pain like no other. So bad I went to the hospital. They gave me a shot and some pills to take home. Within a couple days I was fine. Come to find out years later the Tarantula a Hawk ranks #2 in painful bites to humans in the insect world. Only second to the Bullet ant.

But still not an allergic reaction but just the norm for that type of sting.

Tarantula hawk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Death Fight! Tarantula hawk wasp vs. tarantula - YouTube
    Last edited by DIRTJUNKIE; 07-05-2014 at 12:40 PM.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Rogue Exterminator
    I have been stung quite a bit myself. Oddly enough it doesn't generally happen on the job even though I screw around with yellow jacket nests often. lol

Anyways, still no reaction yet. Often any pain or itching is gone within 15-30 min after the sting depending on where they sting me.

Some people never have a reaction and others it only takes one sting. However, you can't build an immunity since you were never allergic. You can only lose your immunity.

As for me, I hope I never become allergic especially since it is part of how I make a living. lol
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2