Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Yeah, about those portable speakers...

I've read the threads out here regarding bikers riding with portable speakers mounted or carried on their person, yet have never encountered this until yesterday on the trails.

Can I say that it is indeed annoying? Even if I agreed with the choice of music, I found it presumptuous and selfish to say the least.

The dude in question was blaring I Heart Radio or something with commercials on his bar-mounted speaker. Come on, now.

Word.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

Nat
    mtbr member
    Wouldn't it be great if people like that started riding in Wilderness areas?

Nothing seems to kill me
    I see it about once a week. I just don't get it. And it seems about +50% of the time it's a helmet-less rider cranking the jams. I just chalk it up to ignorance.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I would like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." Bilbo

mtbr member
    I can't imagine riding being boring enough to want to listen to music while I ride. I save that for the treadmill or stationary bike. I only ever see these guys playing music with their ass on the seat. Maybe elevate your riding to a level where it requires some concentration.

mtbr member
    I actually find it pretty inconsiderate. If you like to listen to music, put headphones on. A large part of the reason I go out into the woods on a bike is to escape the noise and annoyances of every day life. I enjoy hearing things scurrying in bushes, locusts, birds, etc. When I am enjoying these things at a trail intersection, the last thing I want to hear is your god awful Skrillex BS blaring in my ears.

Bikesexual
    All of the above!

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I really don't care about this issue. I am only concern about my business

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by sito40 View Post
    I really don't care about this issue. I am only concern about my business

You are wise beyond your years, young Grasshopper.

But does it not become your business when the noise pollution reaches your ears.

Although these creatures are easily avoided. I rarely see them deep in the trail system.
    "I don't know half of you half as well as I would like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve." Bilbo

Stone Jack Baller
    I wish you were all more like the captain.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    I met one guy whom had small stereo attached to his handle bar. It was blasting out some hardcore rock music. It didn't bother me since he was the only person using stereo.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremy3220 View Post
    I can't imagine riding being boring enough to want to listen to music while I ride. I save that for the treadmill or stationary bike. I only ever see these guys playing music with their ass on the seat. Maybe elevate your riding to a level where it requires some concentration.
    Most of the crankworks slopestyle guys wear earbuds on their run. They actually do elevate their level of riding every year, but never high enough to lose the music.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by derekbob View Post
    Most of the crankworks slopestyle guys wear earbuds on their run. They actually do elevate their level of riding every year, but never high enough to lose the music.
    I was referring to the bluetooth speaker people being in the saddle the whole time, I don't notice who wears earbuds but either way I just can't relate to listening to music out in the woods.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    How about people who bring their Bluetooth speaker with them to the grocery store... wandering the aisles with their own obnoxious soundtrack for everyone else to “enjoy”

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by krel View Post
    How about people who bring their Bluetooth speaker with them to the grocery store... wandering the aisles with their own obnoxious soundtrack for everyone else to “enjoy”
    These are the same people that leave their door open with crappy music blaring at the gas pump... no one wants to hear your favorite rap song while they're pumping gas, turn that shit off.

mtbr member
    This happened in the Walmart checkout line the other night. I think it was just their phone but they were playing rap music. I remembered why I only go to Walmart once every 3-6 months.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Have mostly gotten used to this from skiing where on crowded slopes you can usually always hear someone's music. Did rock up on a guy recently parked mostly in the trail with his back to me at the crest of a climb. Didn't slow my pace (Strava yo) as I approached and clearly scared him. The reaction look on his face was as if I had done something to him; this pretty much sums up this type of rider consistently quite well for me. Definitely feel to each his own but this type just screams more clueless with equal parts of trying to hard than free spirited with a rock and roll soundtrack.

Land of the 230+
    This is exactly why I carry a compressed air horn with me on my rides now.

Contains no juice.
    I met one guy whom had small stereo attached to his handle bar. It was blasting out some hardcore rock music. It didn't bother me since he was the only person using stereo.

The others were using mono? Surround 5.1??
    What's the difference between red and green?

Apparently nothing if you’re on a bike.

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    These are the same people that leave their door open with crappy music blaring at the gas pump... no one wants to hear your favorite rap song while they're pumping gas, turn that shit off.
    Yeah, or the car wash, while you're vacuuming your car.. Turn that shit OFF.

That Sleestak
    I'd be schtoked if a guy came up behind my playing Polka music out on the trail!

You guys should chill out. Take some weeds!

Bikesexual
    Right? You can't even hear the damn music with the vacuum on!
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, or the car wash, while you're vacuuming your car.. Turn that shit OFF.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I always wondered if there was a better use for the bulk item space under a shopping cart... now I know it was always intended for the subwoofer.

mtbr member
    If they would just take their head out and replace it with this. (Sorry, just had to bring this back )

Yeah, about those portable speakers...-csjr_4sxgaabdvx.jpg

And remember, my taste in music is refined and sophisticated, while yours sucks the big hairy choad.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Nope. No one else was using stereo.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    If you guys worry about noise pollution, you should avoid Asian countries. There are noise pollution that would drive all of you mad like the joker.

A single guy play stereo on his bike is hardly called noise pollution.

Nat
    mtbr member
    If you guys worry about noise pollution, you should avoid Asian countries. There are noise pollution that would drive all of you mad like the joker.

Who the heck wants the national forest to resemble Shanghai?

Contains no juice.

You are the "stereo on bike" of mtbr.

mtbr member
    agreed... arrogant and rude.

Elitest thrill junkie

Maybe, but your music sucks.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Self Appointed Judge&Jury

I agree with all of that except the whole thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Name:  eastwood-meme-18.jpg
Views: 1559
Size:  25.3 KB

Same type people you see on other people's lawn...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm younger and probably in the age group of most of these moving boomboxes. I don't get why anyone would think it's okay to ride around with speakers on their bike. I also don't get why folks go on walks and hikes in the local parks and just talk on the phone the entire time. Especially the ones who have to put it on speaker phone! I don't want to hear it.

On the other hand, while I'm annoyed in the moment, I don't recall ever finishing a ride and still being angry about the encounter.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

bikes don't have motors
    Elbows. Use them.
    Quote Originally Posted by me View Post
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Gravel bike hate is imagined.
    Sweet.

mtbr member
    Live and let live.

Quote Originally Posted by AMac4108 View Post
    I'm younger and probably in the age group of most of these moving boomboxes. I don't get why anyone would think it's okay to ride around with speakers on their bike. I also don't get why folks go on walks and hikes in the local parks and just talk on the phone the entire time. Especially the ones who have to put it on speaker phone! I don't want to hear it.

On the other hand, while I'm annoyed in the moment, I don't recall ever finishing a ride and still being angry about the encounter.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Good call, I’ve had numerous rides where I hear people yapping away. One rude encounter comes to mind, a beautiful early morning ride in the mountains of Colorado. On a long climb through pine forested winding singletrack thinking I was all by myself out there. About half way up I stopped to take in the tranquility and in hopes of seeing some wildlife. About 5 minutes in this amazing break I hear faintly human voices off in the distance. I’m listening trying to figure out where it’s coming from, the voices are non stop and getting louder by the second. I realized they were coming from down the trail climbing towards me. I caught a glimpse of some hikers working there way up about a 100 yards or so down the trail disappearing from sight depending on the tree cover off in the distance. I couldn’t believe how loud and obnoxious they were on such a serene early morning beautiful location. I waited in disgust until they got to within 50’ of me and as our eyes met I gave them a dirty look and swung a leg over my bike and pressed on. Quickly making them just a bad memory. I hope they caught in to my look of disgust and corrected their behavior in the future, but I highly doubt it. Selfish clueless people like this rarely catch on.
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I always wondered if there was a better use for the bulk item space under a shopping cart... now I know it was always intended for the subwoofer.
    There was a guy who used to set up a whole sound system, including CDJs and a mixer, on a shopping cart. Used to setup around the end of an antiwar protest while the streets were still closed, and we'd have a roving dance party in the street. It was awsome and never bothered anyone. Best use of a shopping cart ever!

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Not super annoying. Seems like such a small thing to piss you off

mtbr member
    i always ride with earbuds in

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Simple solution: ear plugs.

Contains no juice.

Simple, yes.

Solution, no.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    Good call, I’ve had numerous rides where I hear people yapping away. One rude encounter comes to mind, a beautiful early morning ride in the mountains of Colorado. On a long climb through pine forested winding singletrack thinking I was all by myself out there. About half way up I stopped to take in the tranquility and in hopes of seeing some wildlife. About 5 minutes in this amazing break I hear faintly human voices off in the distance. I’m listening trying to figure out where it’s coming from, the voices are non stop and getting louder by the second. I realized they were coming from down the trail climbing towards me. I caught a glimpse of some hikers working there way up about a 100 yards or so down the trail disappearing from sight depending on the tree cover off in the distance. I couldn’t believe how loud and obnoxious they were on such a serene early morning beautiful location. I waited in disgust until they got to within 50’ of me and as our eyes met I gave them a dirty look and swung a leg over my bike and pressed on. Quickly making them just a bad memory. I hope they caught in to my look of disgust and corrected their behavior in the future, but I highly doubt it. Selfish clueless people like this rarely catch on.
    And they probably wonder why they never see any wildlife.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Nat
    mtbr member

That's a terrible solution.

mtbr member

You propose everyone else plugs their ears so that a few jackwagons can blare shitty dubstep on the trail?

You're the worst kind of troll.

All fat, all the time.
    Lol no kidding

Bikesexual
    Ear buds are not any safer, you can't hear my bell, my bike, or me yelling I'm around blind corners.

If using ear buds, at least leave one out.

Nat
    mtbr member
    I appreciate the sound of my tires scratching dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TSleep View Post
    Not super annoying. Seems like such a small thing to piss you off
    We each have our gripes, mine being inconsiderate folks such as the speaker-baring crowd. Sure, the urge is there to tear it from his bars, but I wouldn't act on such an impulse. Kind of like wanting to jam a branch into the e-biker's wheel...a nice thought but the action is not taken.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    You propose everyone else plugs their ears so that a few jackwagons can blare shitty dubstep on the trail?

I consider myself to be debonair and handsome more than any trolls.

mtbr member

Consider the source.
    One gear is all you need.

U sayin' Bolt ?
    Next big thing: ebike with included stereo and a headworn microphone for PA

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by knutso View Post
    Next big thing: ebike with included stereo and a headworn microphone for PA
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

One ring to mash them all
    Quote Originally Posted by nauc View Post
    i always ride with earbuds in
    Me too, but instead of music I play nature sounds since I can't hear actual nature sounds with all the racket of BT speakers around me.
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    Me too, but instead of music I play nature sounds since I can't hear actual nature sounds with all the racket of BT speakers around me.
    Lol

Pro Crastinator
    my headphones are always turned up to 11, so i wouldn't be able to hear others music anyway. therefor, i just don't care what you choose to listen to or not listen to...

mtbr member
    I've been meaning to blast Surfin' Bird on repeat during a group ride. should be a good time!

for the narrow trails I ride that are full of two-way traffic with mtbers, hikers with dogs, small kids, blind corners, deer, fat rattlesnakes, coyotes, mountain lions (very rare), etc, headphones are not wise. I like riding with music, but I don't do it anymore. I do occasionally go running on wide-open paths and sidewalks and I listen to music when I do that.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    I'm almost more annoyed by the horrible grammer and punctuation displayed in this thread than I am by hearing others' music on the trail.

Thread already spun
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    I've been meaning to blast Surfin' Bird on repeat during a group ride. should be a good time!

for the narrow trails I ride that are full of two-way traffic with mtbers, hikers with dogs, small kids, blind corners, deer, fat rattlesnakes, coyotes, mountain lions (very rare), etc, headphones are not wise. I like riding with music, but I don't do it anymore. I do occasionally go running on wide-open paths and sidewalks and I listen to music when I do that.
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by dir-T View Post
    I'm almost more annoyed by the horrible grammer and punctuation displayed in this thread than I am by hearing others' music on the trail.
    lol
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

Bikesexual
    https://youtu.be/2WNrx2jq184

Contains no juice.
    How about bad spelling?

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcd46 View Post
    https://youtu.be/2WNrx2jq184

Wooo hooooo!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I'm getting old so here comes my rant: I don't know how/when/where this social 'norm' started that it's perfectly ok to have a phone conversation in speakerphone or even worse--video chat. No one cares about what you or the person at the other end have to say, use the phone like phone, not like a walkie-talkie. Which brings me to the speakers on the trail, since it's essentially the same behavior. It's ok on group rides or if you know you'll be one of the few people in the trail but always be considerate--if people even know what that word means.

mtbr member
    Some of you guys are going to give yourself a stroke worrying about that kind of stuff.

Seriously. A stroke. Boom, dead. Gotta relax.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Technologically magnified obnoxiousness

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/yuowlUTb_s4

Here you go. No speakers.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Nothing seems to kill me
    Quote Originally Posted by One Pivot View Post
    Some of you guys are going to give yourself a stroke worrying about that kind of stuff.

Seriously. A stroke. Boom, dead. Gotta relax.
    Hey, we'll relax when we are dead. Lol

mtbr member
    https://youtu.be/Y32Wf33G7-I

This one is a tandem with the drummer riding backwards while a buddy pedals.
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

Ear buds are not any safer, you can't hear my bell, my bike, or me yelling I'm around blind corners.

If using ear buds, at least leave one out.

I suggest if you use ear buds leave both out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    This thread was worth the click. If I could give it a thumbs up, I would

Not anymore but one of the guys in my regular get together used to pack a sound system with external speaker. It was on pretty low so no worries but I always thought it strange. Especially since there are so many personal listening device choices. The single ear bud seems to be the best compromise if you just have to rock out
    2015 Santa Cruz 5010 C

Bikesexual
    I suggest if you use ear buds leave both out.
    Agreed! I recently had an ecounter with earbuds. I think I posted it on your thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    That there is funny.

Nat
    mtbr member
    Your story reminds me of an encounter I had on a trail many years ago. I rolled up on my bike behind 3 old ladies who were yapping away, all talking at the same time over one another, making all kinds of racket. I really couldn't understand how they could even hear one another (I suspect they weren't really listening). Anyway, I asked if I could pass a couple of times and they didn't hear me. I therefore decided to see how long it would take before they realized that I was behind them. I followed them for about half a mile at old lady walking speed before any one of them realized that I was there.

Big Mac
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    That there is funny.
    Yes, and ironic.

mtbr member
    I said it in DJ's poll, I'll say it again here.

The machines already won. Skynet realized they couldn't simply kill all the humans, we're too much like cockroaches. They couldn't send a Terminator back in time, it got too weird after the third try.

They came up with a new plan: Pokemon Go.

They tricked everyone under 30 into walking past specially irradiated IQ reducers. Now everyone under 30 is retarded. Pretty soon all the old people will just die off and the entire planet will be one great big stupid battery farm. They don't even need to bother creating the Matrix to keep people complacent - just Bluetooth speakers or earbuds. Or pictures of cats.
    Is this where I write something witty?

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Just wait until somebody combines the bluetooth speakers with karaoke on their bike. Don't say it can't happen.

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post

The machines already won. Skynet realized they couldn't simply kill all the humans, we're too much like cockroaches. They couldn't send a Terminator back in time, it got too weird after the third try.

They tricked everyone under 30 into walking past specially irradiated IQ reducers. Now everyone under 30 is retarded. Pretty soon all the old people will just die off and the entire planet will be one great big stupid battery farm. They don't even need to bother creating the Matrix to keep people complacent - just Bluetooth speakers or earbuds. Or pictures of cats.
    https://www.rt.com/news/429738-study-young-iq-decline/
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by djlee View Post

Did you happen to see the movie Idiocracy?

mtbr member
    I almost never run across people "sharing" their music, then this thread. Last week I ran across someone with a bluetooth speaker somewhere on them, but didn't say anything because I was descending and they were climbing. I past them so quickly that I just let it go.

Then just yesterday, I was waiting on a trail to meet up with another rider when two guys approached on their bikes. They got just past me and stopped to reach into a pack and turn on the speaker and adjust the volume so everyone else could enjoy their musical tastes. What the hell?

Bikesexual
    Yep! We are on our way..

mtbr member
    No - thanks for the recommendation. I'll watch it.

I was actually thinking more along the lines of H.G. Well's "The Time Machine." Quite a bit darker.
    Is this where I write something witty?

*cough* jammer *cough*
    ¯\(°_o)/¯

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nat View Post
    Who the heck wants the national forest to resemble Shanghai?
    IMBA. They're sponsored by JBL
    Hubbard Bike Club

mtbr member
    Idiocracy/Narcisstocracy

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Is it a good movie?

mtbr member
    It's dumb.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    "However, Dr Ole Rogeberg emphasized low IQ should not necessarily be interpreted as stupidity, but rather children adapting to the new reality of digital technology, skills that cannot be so easily accessed or evaluated by a standardized IQ test."

I guess me being 29 and actually reading the article makes each of us respective outliers to our demographics!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Is it a good movie?

It's a documentary..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broncbuster View Post
    It's a documentary..
    Well, it wasn't. It is now.

Bikesexual
    Is it a good movie?

Sorry, no nudity.

mtbr member
    Dec 2014
    Sorry, no nudity.

OK, but do they even shred?
    oops I wasn't clipped in

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Idiocracy is genius.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    *cough* jammer *cough*
    I was just thinking of this. One that makes the speakers feed back high pitch when in close proximity.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Sorry, no nudity.

Well that is no good

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cornfield View Post
    I'd be schtoked if a guy came up behind my playing Polka music out on the trail!

If you like polka, you'd probably get a kick out of Rush doing Spirit Of Radio, polkafied!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmx5CI9Hxk4

Contains no juice.
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckha62 View Post
    Well, it wasn't. It is now.
    Ha haaa!

Yup. Prescient.

That Sleestak
    If you like polka, you'd probably get a kick out of Rush doing Spirit Of Radio, polkafied!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bmx5CI9Hxk4
    Rash, lol!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by GuitsBoy View Post
    This is exactly why I carry a compressed air horn with me on my rides now.

I can't add to your reputation again yet!
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    A friend and I were out hiking in the Cascades and we could hear these two women way back down the trail bellowing to each other about their menstual periods. I absolutely did not want to hear any of it.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post

I can't add to your reputation again yet!
    I got him!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast