mtbr member

Yakima Mighty Joe 2/3 Trunk Rack Recall!

I don't know the specifics yet, but these popular trunk mounted racks are being recalled by Yakima. They sent a letter to all dealers with instructions on sending them sent back.

You'll notice they've been pulled from the web site as well.

If you have one of these units, you're advised to stop using them immediately, and contact Yakima.

I am that guy...

Yeah,

I just talked to a Yakima sales rep. He said that they are sending information out to all owners of these racks with instructions as to what to do. I think you have two options, get a full refund OR get a voucher for their new truck rack which is coming out later this year/early next year (after "extensive product testing" of course)

Call Yakima at 1.800.269.7623 for more info...

That sucks, i never got to use mine.

From what i've been reading, it looks like the loading arm is not locking in place correctly, or people just arn't making sure that it locks in correctly... either way, the locking mechanism is very sketchy...

Hi!!!
    I work parttime at REI and last night we had a bunch of these stacked in the warehouse that we are sending back.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the information.

The first Mighty Joe 3 I had ended up with the exact same problem you mentioned. The swingarm collapsed on me while putting only (2) 30lbs bikes on it. Luckly it collapsed while I was loading them and not driving. It resulted in some damage to my car when the outer chainring hit my bumper. I'm still pissed about that. I called Yakima and they sent me a replacement so questions asked. I've been using that one for a few months now with no problems, but I'm constantly checking my rear view on the highway.

I might just go with a hitch mounted rack after all.