The race, not the animal!

XTR Resin vs Metal Disc pads. Which ones?

should I go with. The vast majority of my riding occurs in sandy dry conditions. I ride the Sea Otter trails 4 to 5 days per week. The pads are worn badly and in need of replacement. Tied to find threads on this one but with no luck.
    [SIZE=3]Do the one thing you think you cannot do. Fail at it. Try again. Do better the second time. The only people who never tumble are those who never mount a Single Speed!. This is your moment. Ride On !!! [/SIZE]

Chrome Toaster
    Use the metal ones. They last longer and bite harder. They might howl very little when they get wet sometimes but who cares.

mtbr member
    i would use metal because they actually clean your rotors as you ride. they work much better than resin. i just switched from resin to metal.

Beyond the stars

I'm thinking you may know this, but . . .

It's common to use one metal and one resin pad in each caliper, and for me it was the only way to minimize the anoying squeel of these brakes. (I ride dry dusty desert, Phoenix AZ)

The one thing I did find out was, - if you get these suckers wet, I mean really really wet, i.e. riding through deep water while braking, you can just pitch everything out and start again, pads, rotor, whatever . . .

didn't matter how much I cleaned the rotor with brake-kleen etc. and changed the pads, they would still make that great sound of a dyeing wildabeast!

34N 118W

resin

After the howling I was subjected to from the brakes during the Vision Quest race, I've gone back to resin. Or try one of each. I prefer the feel of the resin, even if they don't last as long as metallic.

Quote Originally Posted by sea otter
    should I go with. The vast majority of my riding occurs in sandy dry conditions. I ride the Sea Otter trails 4 to 5 days per week. The pads are worn badly and in need of replacement. Tied to find threads on this one but with no luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I tried the metal pads on the rear and got terrible vibration/noise, so now I use resin on the rear and metal on the front and it works great. I like the feel of resin on the rear better.