mtbr member
    Oct 2011

XC hardtail: late model Talas RL or brand new X-fusion Velvet RL2?

Pulled my 26er out of storage and am rediscovering the joys of riding a hardtail 26er. It's a nice change of pace from my 29er.

However, the 100mm Dart 2 fork is a real bummer. It was sufficient when I was starting out. But it can't compare to the Fox on my 29er and it doesn't really keep up with my current riding.

I can replace it with a 2010 Talas 32 RL (100-120-140mm) for $250 or a 100mm 2012 X-fusion Velvet RL2 for $350.

With the Talas, I think I'd have to keep it at 100mm. My 26er frame wasn't really designed for more than 100mm of travel. Nothing in my immediate area requires more than 100mm of trave anywaysl. I might have to drop $100 for new seals and maintenance.

The X-fusion comes with a remote trigger and is brand new. I think it weights 150g less than the Talas.

Thoughts? Is newer always better? Price comes out about equal once I have the seal changed and have some servicing done to the Talas.
    Last edited by Spillway; 03-21-2013 at 11:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    bump...

mtbr member
    I'm not sure how much travel the x fusion has, but if you're not going to use all the travel on the talas then it seems like overkill for me. Although personally, I would get it. I have the rlc and I love it. Very plush

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    X-fusion is a 80-100-120mm, adjustable by adding spacers.

The Talas does seems like overkill. Seems like a shame to run a 140mm fork at 100mm. I was wondering if that affect small bump compliance since the fork is already "compressed".

one sick puppy
    I just put a velvet on my bike and although I don't have a ton of miles on it yet, I do like it so far.
    Saddle up, Effendi. We ride.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just put a Manitou Minute expert 100 mm on my 26" hardtail. I really like that fork. Price was 230 out the door when I caught some sales just right. My old fork was 2002 era Judy SL also 100mm. The new fork is alot better than worn out judy. I can't say how it compares to the forks you mentioned since for me I had to get fork with V-brake bosses.

I bring up the Manitou since it is in your price range I had heard good things when looking for fork.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I have an xfusion Enix. Its the lighter version of the velvet. I'm very pleased with it.