Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thor29 View Post
    Actually there is a forum for 26ers - the Vintage.Retro, Classic forum.
    Shouldn't the 29er forum be there now?

Maybe 29ers' popularity was too short lived to qualify as "classic?"

I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

Elitest thrill junkie
    There is a 26er forum. Here's my 26er.

WTF...no 26er forum?-photo-3-3-.jpg
    Here it is with 29" wheels.

WTF...no 26er forum?-img_0825.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    There is a 26er forum. Here's my 26er.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo 3 (3).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	220.5 KB 
ID:	892635
    would this setup equate to a 29er??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    and soon to be followed by the much ballywhood 27.5, yea thats it.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    26ers must be dinosaurs.
    Yeah, makes sense that some of the best and most athletic mountain bikers in the world choose to ride dinosaurs in the most challenging and dangerous mountain biking competition there is. All bikes but 1 were a 26" in the 2013 redbull rampage.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UEtnXl5xZlU

Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post

Maybe 29ers' popularity was too short lived to qualify as "classic?"

29ers and 26ers are far more popular than 650b and both will live on because they each have distinct advantages. You should try looking at a website not focused on pushing what the mtb industry wants you to buy, like say Pinkbike. Why don't you take a look at how popular 27.5/650b is in the rest of the world...

Mountain Bike Forum - Pinkbike

Ya, a whole 22 posts and one topic for the 650b fad on the website that represents far more people than mtbr.

26" bikes and 29ers are well established. 650b has a long way to go.

mtbr member
    I think a 26er forum makes perfect sense. The 29er forum and 27.5 forums came about because they were smaller niche markets and there are specific discussions related to those sizes. A couple of years ago, if a person was talking in general about a mountain bike, they were talking about a 26er more than likely. This is no longer the case. Now there are 3 wheels size niches in the market, so why not a forum for each of them?

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I think a 26er forum makes perfect sense. The 29er forum and 27.5 forums came about because they were smaller niche markets and there are specific discussions related to those sizes. A couple of years ago, if a person was talking in general about a mountain bike, they were talking about a 26er more than likely. This is no longer the case. Now there are 3 wheels size niches in the market, so why not a forum for each of them?
    Exactly. As a newer member of this forum browsing the sub-forums, my first impression was that 26ers weren't welcome or had become so obsolete that nobody even messed with them anymore. I've been riding mountain bikes since 1990, but quit reading magazines several years ago and don't generally pay attention to what "the industry" is doing these days, so I really didn't know.

mtbr member
    26ers are dead. Please sell me your old, useless, slow 26ers for pennies on the dollar.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    26ers are dead. Please sell me your old, useless, slow 26ers for pennies on the dollar.
    Admittedly it's a facepalm thread, but I'm working on this guy--says his LBS is dumping 26ers at cost, but hasn't come up with a name:
    26er vs 29er....again.

Daddy could use a new AM rig....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Nice video, perfect wheel size for pump tracks and bike parks, like in the video. Why cannot the 26 go uphill, he had to push the bike to the top of the pump track?

Dude enough trolling already, 26 is DEAD, but I know how you feel. I use only DOS, no way I am switching to an Apple or Windows based computer.
    I can only assume the DOS ditty was in jest...
    2014 Nail Trail 29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    On January 1, 2014, President Obama signed a bill into law restricting the use and ownership of 26" wheeled mountain bikes. All 26" wheeled mountain bikes are supposed to be surrendered to any one of the thousands of collection sites set up throughout the country. It is illegal to ride/possess a 26" wheeled mountain bike, including 96ers.
    You had me going until you said 96ers too I then said to myself, "This is a joke as 96ers are 27.5's.

mtbr member
    The Trek/ Cannondale LBS has more 26er's than anything else and says they can hardly sale a FS 29er but sale some hard tails

The Specialized LBS talked so much **** about 26ers and them going away its hilarious.
    2013 TREK Fuel EX 8 26er
    2010 Trek 4300 Disc

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    You had me going until you said 96ers too I then said to myself, "This is a joke as 96ers are 27.5's.
    No, a 96er has a 29" front wheel and a 26" rear wheel. But I'm glad to hear that you were fooled if only for a moment.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    No, a 96er has a 29" front wheel and a 26" rear wheel. But I'm glad to hear that you were fooled if only for a moment.
    Right (29+26)/2=27.5.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdabeach2001 View Post
    Right (29+26)/2=27.5.
    You must be a calculus major.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by wcoyne View Post
    The Trek/ Cannondale LBS has more 26er's than anything else and says they can hardly sale a FS 29er but sale some hard tails

The Specialized LBS talked so much **** about 26ers and them going away its hilarious.
    What's hilarious is using the word "sale" instead of "sell" twice as well as the 650b/27.5 forum on Pinkbike. Holly joke. A whole 1 topic with 27 posts. 650b is really taking over the world Mountain Bike Forum - Pinkbike

Also, techs at Village Ski Loft in Incline Village and Paco's bikes in Truckee, both specialized dealers, all rave about and ride the 29" Enduro and when asked about 650b roll their eyes. They both say their selling more 29ers and 26" enduro/DH bikes while buyers are hesitant on the 650b, especially after their told it's not 1.5" bigger than 26", it's only 1" bigger with almost no noticeable difference over a 26", which they make it a point to do. These guys live and ride in Tahoe, know what their talking about and don't BS you, unlike the giant dealer I bought my 650b from.
    Last edited by tahoebeau; 05-19-2014 at 01:45 AM. Reason: Wrong link to pinkbike.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post
    What's hilarious is using the word "sale" instead of "sell" twice as well as the 650b/27.5 forum on Pinkbike. Holly joke. A whole 1 topic with 27 posts. 650b is really taking over the world Mountain Bike Forum - Pinkbike

Also, techs at Village Ski Loft in Incline Village and Paco's bikes in Truckee, both specialized dealers, all rave about and ride the 29" Enduro and when asked about 650b roll their eyes. They both say their selling more 29ers and 26" enduro/DH bikes while buyers are hesitant on the 650b, especially after their told it's not 1.5" bigger than 26", it's only 1" bigger with almost no noticeable difference over a 26", which they make it a point to do. These guys live and ride in Tahoe, know what their talking about and don't BS you, unlike the giant dealer I bought my 650b from.
    Great feedback, thanks.
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Ignore List: CannondaleF9, ShinDiggity, smilinsteve

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Giant going to 27.5 exclusively. No more 26 or 29.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3