Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    I get a different impression on the trail, in bikes shops around town, and in various forms of media...26er's are the rarity, often inducing rude comments and looks of bewilderment.
    If 26ers are the minority then why is it that there are 4 to 5 times more options for things like wheels, tires and forks vs 650b and twice as much of these things than for 29ers on just about every bike parts website? And why is it that the 650b and 29er specific items are often on deep discount/sale? Wierd.
    keepoaklandfresh

I'm gonna put on an iron shirt and ride my bike all over this eart'

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by shortbutfunky View Post
    If 26ers are the minority then why is it that there are 4 to 5 times more options for things like wheels, tires and forks vs 650b and twice as much of these things than for 29ers on just about every bike parts website? And why is it that the 650b and 29er specific items are often on deep discount/sale? Wierd.
    I find it to be 110% the opposite of what you are saying EVERYWHERE I shop.
    ...and proud member of the anti-sock puppet desolation

mtbr member
    Oh how I live to wear socks!......( Need to create more aimless posts so I can get my rep up).. Ok?

duh
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    On January 1, 2014, President Obama signed a bill into law restricting the use and ownership of 26" wheeled mountain bikes. All 26" wheeled mountain bikes are supposed to be surrendered to any one of the thousands of collection sites set up throughout the country. It is illegal to ride/possess a 26" wheeled mountain bike, including 96ers.
    Actually they are to be turned over to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    the big aussie rep bomb is comin your way

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by Bing47 View Post
    Oh how I live to wear socks!......( Need to create more aimless posts so I can get my rep up).. Ok?
    That can go both ways. A long chain of red chicklets can look rather spiffy.

official eMpTyBRain
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    Actually they are to be turned over to me.
    Sorry, mine is long gone. It went to 26er Heaven.

Raymond Donald Franklin
    On January 1, 2014, President Obama signed a bill into law restricting the use and ownership of 26" wheeled mountain bikes. All 26" wheeled mountain bikes are supposed to be surrendered to any one of the thousands of collection sites set up throughout the country. It is illegal to ride/possess a 26" wheeled mountain bike, including 96ers.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

mtbr member

Re: WTF...no 26er forum?

Yep went to buy a new tire today. Only had a Wtb Weirwolf for 26". I bought it. I will say most of my buds are on 26" but one of them just put a 650b wheel set on his prophet.......

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Singletrackmac
    I find it to be 110% the opposite of what you are saying EVERYWHERE I shop.
    Where do you shop?

I agree with shortbutfunky. I just bought a new fork and wheel for my 26" and had endless options, but not a lot of discounts compared to 29ers and 27.5" I would get all excited when i would see a killer price on a fork then let down when i realized it was for a 29er or a 27.5".

All my local bike shops (6 I shop at) carry more 26" tires than 29ers and hardly any 27.5 tires. Paco's in Truckee carries 1, that's ONE 27.5" tire. They stock what people ride and this is in Tahoe where there are endless technical mtb trails.

As far as online, it's really not even close:

Chainreactioncycles.com:
    186 26" wheels, 91 29er wheels and only 68 27.5" wheels.
    227 26" tire options, 58 29er tire options and only 46 27.5 tire options.
    105 26" fork options, 42 29er for options and only 25 27.5" fork options.

Jenson.com:
    55 26" wheels, 49 29er wheels and 28 27.5" wheels.
    181 26" 26" tires, 86 29er wheels and 36 27.5" wheels.
    52 26" forks, 32 29er forks and 24 27.5" forks.

Pricepoint.com:
    75 26" wheels, 64 29er wheels and only 37 27.5" wheels.
    107 26" tires, 55 29er tires and 36 27.5" tires.
    156 26" forks, 71 29er forks and 38 27.5" forks.

Performancebike.com:
    33 26" wheels, 20 29er wheels and only 5 27.5" wheels.
    38 26" tires, 23 29er tires and 9 27.5 tires.
    3 26" forks, 5 29er forks and 2 27.5" forks.

universalcycles.com
    140 26" wheels, 107 29er wheels and 46 27.5" wheels.
    362 26" tires, 168 29er tires and 84 27.5" tires.
    271 26" forks, 65 29er forks and 48 27.5" forks.

cambriabike.com:
    214 26" wheels, 60 29er wheels and 33 27.5" wheels.
    Hard to get clear numbers on tires (bad sorting system).
    69 26" forks, 40 29er forks and 19 27.5" forks.

Blueskycycling.com: harder to get exact numbers (bad sorting system, but looks like more 26" wheels, tires and forks than 29ers and 27.5"

With the exception of performance bike's fork selection having 2 more 29er forks than 26ers, (they don't really carry any forks in any size with only 10 forks total) it looks like demand is for the 26" wheel size since that is what the supply reflects. So, yeah, I would say there are more 26" mtb's being rode today and stock levels show it will be that way tomorrow, unless all these major bike part supply companies don't know what they are doing.

Also, just got back from a ride on the Tahoe Rim Trail from this morning and saw 1 29er, zero 27.5" and the rest were all 26" bikes. But the TRT is mostly blackdiamond and is very tech with lots of climbing, drops, chunk and tight singletracks which is ideal for strong/stiff wheels and good handling bikes; you know 26ers
    Get out of the gutter and onto the mountain top.

"I only had like two winekills captain buzzcooler"

bumbles bounce

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post
    Where do you shop?

I agree with shortbutfunky. I just bought a new fork and wheel for my 26" and had endless options, but not a lot of discounts compared to 29ers and 27.5" I would get all excited when i would see a killer price on a fork then let down when i realized it was for a 29er or a 27.5".

All my local bike shops (6 I shop at) carry more 26" tires than 29ers and hardly any 27.5 tires. Paco's in Truckee carries 1, that's ONE 27.5" tire. They stock what people ride and this is in Tahoe where there are endless technical mtb trails.

As far as online, it's really not even close:

Chainreactioncycles.com:
    186 26" wheels, 91 29er wheels and only 68 27.5" wheels.
    227 26" tire options, 58 29er tire options and only 46 27.5 tire options.
    105 26" fork options, 42 29er for options and only 25 27.5" fork options.

Jenson.com:
    55 26" wheels, 49 29er wheels and 28 27.5" wheels.
    181 26" 26" tires, 86 29er wheels and 36 27.5" wheels.
    52 26" forks, 32 29er forks and 24 27.5" forks.

Pricepoint.com:
    75 26" wheels, 64 29er wheels and only 37 27.5" wheels.
    107 26" tires, 55 29er tires and 36 27.5" tires.
    156 26" forks, 71 29er forks and 38 27.5" forks.

Performancebike.com:
    33 26" wheels, 20 29er wheels and only 5 27.5" wheels.
    38 26" tires, 23 29er tires and 9 27.5 tires.
    3 26" forks, 5 29er forks and 2 27.5" forks.

universalcycles.com
    140 26" wheels, 107 29er wheels and 46 27.5" wheels.
    362 26" tires, 168 29er tires and 84 27.5" tires.
    271 26" forks, 65 29er forks and 48 27.5" forks.

cambriabike.com:
    214 26" wheels, 60 29er wheels and 33 27.5" wheels.
    Hard to get clear numbers on tires (bad sorting system).
    69 26" forks, 40 29er forks and 19 27.5" forks.

Blueskycycling.com: harder to get exact numbers (bad sorting system, but looks like more 26" wheels, tires and forks than 29ers and 27.5"

With the exception of performance bike's fork selection having 2 more 29er forks than 26ers, (they don't really carry any forks in any size with only 10 forks total) it looks like demand is for the 26" wheel size since that is what the supply reflects. So, yeah, I would say there are more 26" mtb's being rode today and stock levels show it will be that way tomorrow, unless all these major bike part supply companies don't know what they are doing.

Also, just got back from a ride on the Tahoe Rim Trail from this morning and saw 1 29er, zero 27.5" and the rest were all 26" bikes. But the TRT is mostly blackdiamond and is very tech with lots of climbing, drops, chunk and tight singletracks which is ideal for strong/stiff wheels and good handling bikes; you know 26ers
    Maybe that's the case in the Tahoe area, but shops in my area (SLO) carry mostly 29er or the newer 650b stuff. Went into CBO the other day for a 26" X2.25 maxxis ardent & the salesman told me they had to order it. However I did see plenty of 29" choices on the rack including ones I was interested in,, just not in 26".

Judging by the research you have shown here there should be plenty of choices in the 26" size, but in reality most shops don't have a lot of it on the showroom floor. Probably because it's not the latest & greatest anymore. It's been boxed up & shoved into the backroom corners. The overall numbers of 26" parts you're seeing are most likely older stock they've accumulated over th)e past few years & still need to liquidate.

26er merchandise isn't going away anytime soon, it's just not as popular as the newer wheel sizes & thankfully for me the deals are still out there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Re: WTF...no 26er forum?

I shop online and there is an endless supply of 26" stuff.. Which is cool cause I like 26" bikes. I was going to get a new one but decided to upgrade mine instead cause there was no reason really

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    This feels like an episode of MADMEN...... Maybe there is more to this show. Consumers want what they are told they need, and new must be so much better right? $$$$$.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by _CJ View Post
    I get a different impression on the trail, in bikes shops around town, and in various forms of media...26er's are the rarity, often inducing rude comments and looks of bewilderment.
    Is that why the crowd at the last RedBull Rampage all had looks of bewilderment... because every rider but one was on a 26"? I thought it was the crazy mad sh*t they were stomping, I didn't realize everyone was looking at their wheel size instead.

Try riding in the mountains. I have 3 bikes, one in each wheel size. My 26er gets the most action by far cause I live in the mountains and I ride on gnarly blackdiamond trails with lots of drops, chunk and climbing on tight single-tracks. I also hit up the lift access parks, where a 29er and 27.5 would get looks of bewilderment and gasps.

My 29er gets action when I head off the mountain and my newer 27.5 is collecting dust. I should just sell it, but I just got it last year. That bike is just boring, not as nimble as my 26" with hardly any more rollover or traction and it doesn't even come close to the rollover or grip like my 29er.

Looks like Giant was lying about the benefits of the 27.5" wheel size and I bought into it. I wanted the latest and "greatest" so bad I got suckered by their flashy marketing. It might be the latest, but hardly the greatest.

mtbr member
    At least you guys have options at all. I live in NYC and every LBS carries road or city style fixed gear parts..... All 26er with very little Mtb options.

mtbr member
    It's all regional marketing anyway.

mtbr member
    Even SID's on 34th St? (I could have the wrong street but its close). They always seemed to have a decent selection of mountain bikes. FYI, your profile says you live in Tampa, not NYC.

mtbr member
    Born and raised in tampa, lived in Queens now but going back to FL soon. I work in Midtown and all the shops stock real highbrow stuff like carbon, it is 34 st but it's twice the price in the city for everything..... They say because the rent is high so goes the price.... Anyway I am always looking to upgrade and they all seem to cater to local fixed gear... That's all.. Nothing on the shelf to put your hands on.

mtbr member
    Nope SIDS is not the place I'm thinking about...it's called metro cycle I think on 34 st. SIDS is on w 19 st

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Bing47 View Post
    This feels like an episode of MADMEN...... Maybe there is more to this show. Consumers want what they are told they need, and new must be so much better right? $$$$$.
    That's very much how it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by singletrackmack View Post

Where do you shop?
    Excellent post!

Quote Originally Posted by Hazerd Hownd View Post
    Maybe that's the case in the Tahoe area, but shops in my area (SLO) carry mostly 29er or the newer 650b stuff.

It's been boxed up & shoved into the backroom corners. The overall numbers of 26" parts you're seeing are most likely older stock they've accumulated over the past few years & still need to liquidate.
    I grew up in SLO, wife born in Sierra Vista, blah, blah.... I wouldn't use SLO as a bench mark for what sells or what doesn't nation wide.

Most people that live there have a really skewed view the reality. 'This is the greatest place in the WORLD to live', etc. Many would simply buy a xx" bike because it was in the magazine and shop carried it...

I take it you don't own a small business. Not many small shops 'Box stuff up' and rat hole it. You need to get your money out of dead inventory and use it for something else...

It was a great place to live and I miss the riding there but I would never go back to Cali....

_CJ
    mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post
    Try riding in the mountains.
    Well, it's not really a choice....living at the base of Pikes Peak, all my rides are "in the mountains".

I used to have a quiver of bikes with all the latest greatest whatever, but have been on my 26" 1x8 rigid steel since 2008 because it's just more fun. Sold the rest of the quiver, but I am building a new bike....steel, 26, rigid, belt drive, internally geared hub, with V-brakes.

There are so many trails with so much tight technical stuff that I'm barely able to clear with my rigid 26. Not a chance a 9er could ride that stuff.

mtbr member
    Sid's used to have a 34th St location but I checked on line and it appears to be closed leaving only the 19th St address. I retired three years ago. At that time I used to walk to both locations from my Madison Ave. office and could ogle Santa Cruz and other mountain bikes. Yes, they were expensive compared to what I paid in the wilds of Jersey but sometimes I picked up parts and they had a good selection of Sidi shoes and over the years I bought road and mountain pairs from them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Well, wheel size does not seem to matter much to me. I got two bikes, a geared 26" 1X10 FS with 7" of travel, and a 29" with a 2X10 drivetrain and 4.7" of travel F&R.
    I do the same ride route around 4-5 days a week. It's 2/3 pavement and 1/3 trail. You would think the average speed would clearly be in favor of the bigger wheel......but it ain't.
    I manage to avg. the same speed, 11.3-11.7 on my 26" 'freeride sled' that I make on my 'trail bike' 29er.

I think what matters the most is the bike's engine. So all of this wheel size chatter is just for the benefit of the vendors. And that's nothing new, especially on sites like emptybeer and in mags like MBA. These places are all about the paying advertisers. If you don't believe me, catch one in a bald-faced lie or in complicity with emptybeer ownership to promote/shill for a product, and see how long you last, along with your posts, if you point this out.
    Re-Cycled Person who rides a mountain bicycle.

bumbles bounce
    Quote Originally Posted by dead_dog_canyon View Post
    Excellent post!

I grew up in SLO, wife born in Sierra Vista, blah, blah.... I wouldn't use SLO as a bench mark for what sells or what doesn't nation wide.

Most people that live there have a really skewed view the reality. 'This is the greatest place in the WORLD to live', etc. Many would simply buy a xx" bike because it was in the magazine and shop carried it...

I take it you don't own a small business. Not many small shops 'Box stuff up' and rat hole it. You need to get your money out of dead inventory and use it for something else...

It was a great place to live and I miss the riding there but I would never go back to Cali....
    Wasn't using SLO as a benchmark for anything. Just providing experiences from my area & about some popular online shops (CBO & Art's Cyclery) we have here that the OP mentioned. It all depends on the region you live & ride & which shops cater to whatever wheel sizes.

Call me old school I guess, but I still ride a 26" FS & do notice a dwindling supply of newer "state of the art" equipment to buy for our "dying breed" of bikes. I didn't reply to get on the defensive, just sharing my thoughts on my areas shops & riding preferences. Not saying it's as yours should be too.

And as a matter of fact I do own a small business although it's not retail (construction). Most LBS around here cater to what's hot & selling. they have to to survive & it's the newer wheel sizes (29/27.5) that matter most. It's definitely been a rocky last 7-8 yrs here too with the economic downturn & everything. My views aren't skewed & I didn't say it's the greatest place in the world to live. In my little town we're mostly just young struggling families like elsewhere trying to eek out a living the best we can & thankfully we have some excellent multi-user trails right out our front door.

It's still a great place to live if you can afford it. and thanks for not moving back, it's starting to get a little crowded on the trails lately. And btw, happy Mother's Day. Good day sir.

nimble biker
    26ers must be dinosaurs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast