Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    You're not kidding about the heat, Tone's. I just read this article which included the following temp map:

It's So Hot in Australia That They Added New Colors to the Weather Map - Global - The Atlantic Wire

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I doubt it is water causing the problem. Water absorbed into brake fluid is a bad thing because if the brakes are heated above the boiling point of the water, it will turn to steam which would be compressible - spongy and no brakes.
    120 degrees F is not going to boil the water.
    It's likely a combination of the fluid expansion, metal and plastic expansion, and the air sitting on the top of the cylinder expanding. Plus the cylinder seals may be sticking with the heat.

mtbr member
    [sarcasm] Lets face it, the problem is Avids are NOT a top end brake system and should be replaced immediately (or installed on a mongoose) [/sarcasm]

High Desert MTBer
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    I doubt it is water causing the problem. Water absorbed into brake fluid is a bad thing because if the brakes are heated above the boiling point of the water, it will turn to steam which would be compressible - spongy and no brakes.
    120 degrees F is not going to boil the water.
    It's likely a combination of the fluid expansion, metal and plastic expansion, and the air sitting on the top of the cylinder expanding. Plus the cylinder seals may be sticking with the heat.
    Indeed water will boil and turn gaseous at it's boiling point, but it will expand as most other liquids above room temp. even tho it is odd in its behavior below 4 C and expands rather than contracts (ice). This could be causing Tone's problem, if the brake fluid is contaminated enough. The fluid itself is unlikely to be the cause as it is very inert, even at the temperatures mentioned, (that's why they use it!). Metal and plastic expansion should not really be the cause at these temps either, nor the air on top of the cylinder. Otherwise all of us riders in AZ would be having these problems!
    Sticky seals conjures up images of sealions wrestling in honey... but that could just be Tone's strange fetishes leaking across the interwebs... Q Tips and Russian Vodka might help the problem, but I am not sure that Tone would make proper use of these... I'm going with the water theory meself
    It's all Here. Now.

toscano
    You know, "back to basics" is the only way... If you had a good taliban bike with old cantilever brakes ...

Gumnut Peddler
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    You're not kidding about the heat, Tone's. I just read this article which included the following temp map:

It's So Hot in Australia That They Added New Colors to the Weather Map - Global - The Atlantic Wire

I think this is actually the correct map NateHawk:

Burning fat, not oil.

Big Gulps, Alright!
    My guess is air in the lines. Expands in the heat and causes the pistons to engage.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2