Think different

WTB Laser V Stealth saddle

I'm going to order the WTB Laser V Stealth saddle online and need someone's advice. (There is no chance for me to look at the saddle before buying it.) I've used to use Selle Italia Tri Matic 2 Gel, which is pretty narrow. Now I want something softer but I'm in doubt - wouldn't Laser V be too wide for me? My riding stile can be defined as cross-country / marathon / light freeride sometimes. Maybe Rocket V Stealth would suit better? Any ideas?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I have the WTB Speed V and it is very comfy, not too wide...

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel
    I'm going to order the WTB Laser V Stealth saddle online and need someone's advice. (There is no chance for me to look at the saddle before buying it.) I've used to use Selle Italia Tri Matic 2 Gel, which is pretty narrow. Now I want something softer but I'm in doubt - wouldn't Laser V be too wide for me? My riding stile can be defined as cross-country / marathon / light freeride sometimes. Maybe Rocket V Stealth would suit better? Any ideas?

Thanks!
    I think the Speed V and the Laser V have the same size/shape but the difference is in the material, the Laser being 100-150g lighter. It is the most comfortable saddle I've had and yes it is a tiny bit large but nothing to be a problem if you want to go behing the saddle.

In fact, when I find a deal on a Laser I will change my Speed to loose some weight.

Hope this helps.

Think different
    Quote Originally Posted by BanzaiRider
    I think the Speed V and the Laser V have the same size/shape
    Thanks! But I wanted to know the difference between Laser and Rocket. ;-) I wonder if these 17 mm really make a difference (Rocket is 130 mm and Laser is 147 mm wide). And my current Selle Italia is 130 mm as well... ;-)

But I've also noticed that Rocket is lighter than Laser (195 vs 235), so I think I'd rather buy it.

Thanks! ;-)

Paintbucket
    Jan 2004
    The Speed V is indeed like the Laser V. And its probably the most common saddle out there. Surely you can find one to borrow.

I ride a pretty skinny saddle on the road (Terry Fly), and Speed/Laser Vs on the trail.
    Zippy for president

Do It Yourself
    Laser is not too wide. It's just right. I have both the Laser V Stealth and the Rocket V Laser if that makes any sense. The Rocket is okay but a bit narrow and has a funny dip in the middle of the saddle. I put the Rocket on my "road" bike and use the Laser on my mtb. The Rocket is better suited to racing/roadie type, otherwise I think the Laser is better for all around stuff.

Think different
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin-at-home
    The Speed V is indeed like the Laser V
    Ah, I didn't know, thanks.

Surely you can find one to borrow.
    He-he, but not in Ukraine. Good bike parts are pretty rare here. :-( If you want to build good bike there, you have to buy many parts in online stores... :-(

Thank you, I think I'll stick to Rocket V Stealth.

Think different
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    Laser is not too wide. It's just right.
    (Have been composing my reply just when you submitted yours.)

Do you think Laser is softer?

mtbr member

Rocket V Stealth

Ah, I didn't know, thanks.

He-he, but not in Ukraine. Good bike parts are pretty rare here. :-( If you want to build good bike there, you have to buy many parts in online stores... :-(

Thank you, I think I'll stick to Rocket V Stealth.
    Having had the liberty to ride and own both..i personally prefer the narrower Rocket V Stealth saddle, but i'm coming from the Flite saddle generation. As for comfort the rocket is every bit as comfy as the Laser, just minus the width. The laser does have plenty of removed shell material under saddle, and at first glance you would assume to be more comfortable, but i did not find this to be the case at all.

chad devall ,
    chad@redbarnbicycles.com

Paintbucket
    Jan 2004
    He-he, but not in Ukraine.
    Ah. Well. Yes. I can see where you might have a problem then. Still, I bet the other bike in the Ukraine has a Speed V.
    Zippy for president

Think different
    Still, I bet the other bike in the Ukraine has a Speed V. :)
    Well... I think that probability of this is about 10%... so I would rather bet there is no such bike here. :-)

WTB components are very uncommon in Ukraine. Some of them are installed on the stock bikes (mostly Gary Fishers I think, but there are very few of them as well ;-)) and these are rims. There is no store in Ukraine that sells WTB. Hell, it's even hard to find a specific Selle Italia saddle - if you need one, you'll have to choose from several ones or wait at least few weeks.

OK, enough complaining, it's 3 AM here, so I'm off to bed. ;-)

Thank you all for advices!

Do It Yourself
    (Have been composing my reply just when you submitted yours.)

Do you think Laser is softer?
    Saddles are a real personal preference thing. Softer depends on which model you have. The Laser V Stealth has the "flex tuned" shell which is harder than the soft shell of the Laser V Team (formerly called Laser V Laser). Mine is a warranty seat which is the Laser V Stealth with the soft shell. The soft shell is definitely softer than the "flex tuned" shell. Rockets are only available with "flex tuned". Initially, this seat felt really soft to me coming from an old WTB SST.98 but I quickly got used to it. Some of my buddies didn't like it initially either. They described it as a padded toliet seat. Anyway, I like the softer seat now. Some don't though so that's why they offer both.

kneecap
    Dec 2003
    I have both. The lazer V on my enduro, & yes it a little wide in the rear, but it's very comfortable otherwise, never get the numbies. The rocket V is on my Tracer, it's a little narrower (which I like) but it's padding is kinda firm & the rear of the saddle kicks up (which I don't like). It forces you to sit in the middle of the seat. I think the rocket is a little lighter as well. However, my choice is the lazer V , once on the ride, I usually forget about the width.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Here is my 10 month report on my WTB Speed V... (same as Stealth but with Ti rails, not ChroMo).

I went from a WTB STK-Ti (aka drop nose). The comfort was my only reason for changing and what a HUGE difference it made. I no longer needed to lift off the saddle after 20 minutes of ridding like I did before.

The (critical) stiching and vinyl is holding up great. The only "flaw" is the logo stiching on the nose of the saddle has pretty much worn away. However, this has not altered the way it feels or functions.

10 months ago I paid $45 (LBS) for it and has been the best "under $75" investment.

[SIZE=3]A picture of how it looked after 2 weeks of usage:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]A picture of how it looked after 10 months of usage:[/SIZE] (current pic)

If you don't mind spending $25 to $35 more than what a "Speed V" version would cost, get the Stealth.

BTW: The Rocket would be a better choice for your street ride than MTB.

mtbr member

alot of wear for two weeks

Get out of your aero bars for a while and you wouldn't wear down the nose of the saddle so much !! hehe

later, Chad

chad@redbarnbicycles.com