mtbr member

Wrist sprain & Acupuncture?

Hey all. I took a spill OTB two weeks ago. No major damage and I rode home fine, but felt my wrist getting more and more sore as the day went on. By late in the day I knew I was injured. Went to the hospital and had it x-rayed - no fracture, so just a nasty sprain.

Anyway, it's been two weeks. I did the R.I.C.E thing for the first two days, and rested it for the next 3. Then began slowly exploring range of motion and mildly stretching. So today, 13 days after the injury, I find I have full range of motion, but experience pain when my wrist is cocked and pressure applied (think holding the handbars and taking small bumps). I can manage the bike around the neighborhood, but there's no way I could handle the rigors of trail riding.

So question is, has anyone used acupuncture to treat a sprained wrist? I understand it can greatly increase blood flow to bring in nutrients and haul away the nasties. All this with the intention of decreasing downtime...I need to get back on the bike, it's killing me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    Hey all. I took a spill OTB two weeks ago. No major damage and I rode home fine, but felt my wrist getting more and more sore as the day went on. By late in the day I knew I was injured. Went to the hospital and had it x-rayed - no fracture, so just a nasty sprain.

Anyway, it's been two weeks. I did the R.I.C.E thing for the first two days, and rested it for the next 3. Then began slowly exploring range of motion and mildly stretching. So today, 13 days after the injury, I find I have full range of motion, but experience pain when my wrist is cocked and pressure applied (think holding the handbars and taking small bumps). I can manage the bike around the neighborhood, but there's no way I could handle the rigors of trail riding.

So question is, has anyone used acupuncture to treat a sprained wrist? I understand it can greatly increase blood flow to bring in nutrients and haul away the nasties. All this with the intention of decreasing downtime...I need to get back on the bike, it's killing me.
    I have a friend in my office that's from Vietnam. He's licensed to do acupuncture. A few months ago I was having some bad back pain and decided to give him a try. I noticed a difference immediately right after the first treatment. A second treatment 2 days later and my back is almost new again. In fact it hasn't felt this good in yrs. Last time I had back problems it took over a month to heal. This time it was just a week and haven't had trouble since.

I went to the doc before that and nothing was working for me. The anti-inflammatories do nothing for me. My friend tells me it works for most, but not all.

mtbr member
    Wow, congrats on your great results. Hoping I can find the same. Also hope acupuncture is covered on my health insurance. Need to do some digging.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Also hope acupuncture is covered on my health insurance.
    My Blue Cross/Shield covered something like 35-40%. Rest out of my pocket.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    It may take more than a few of visits

David

mtbr member
    May 2004
    My wife is an acupuncturist. She gets great results utilizing the Balance Method to treat pain pertaining to injuries. I would seek a practitioner that utilizes that approach. Also, referrals are only way I would ever see a physician, so ask around - I wouldn't just take the 1st one out of the yellow pages.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 12-15-2008 at 04:14 AM.

pedal pusher
    Quote Originally Posted by crashedandburned
    My Blue Cross/Shield covered something like 35-40%. Rest out of my pocket.
    Wait... your friend made you pay?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by f3rg
    Wait... your friend made you pay?
    I turned it in to my insurance. All he requested was that I pay him what the insurance covered would cover. I gave him extra for helping me out. It was worth it.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    I understand it can greatly increase blood flow to bring in nutrients and haul away the nasties. All this with the intention of decreasing downtime...I need to get back on the bike, it's killing me.
    I live in Hong Kong, and this is the first time I've ever heard of this "increased blood flow" claim about acupuncture.

Had a friend who tried it for a sprained wrist. It helped a little, but not enough to get him riding again.

TLL
    mtbr member
    Sprains take far longer to heal than two weeks; I sprained both my ankles a few times (playing volleyball) and the least amount of time it took to be pain free and completely mobile was 5 weeks.

Do the smart thing and let your body heal naturally. Acupuncture has absolutely no scientific basis.

http://skepdic.com/acupuncture.html

http://www.medicinescomplete.com/jou...a08g05sr09.htm

(I'm not looking to start a flame war, btw, so feel free to ignore my post if it's not what you want to hear).
    Hadley rear hub service here and here.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TLL
    Do the smart thing and let your body heal naturally. Acupuncture has absolutely no scientific basis.
    (I'm not looking to start a flame war, btw, so feel free to ignore my post if it's not what you want to hear).
    Have you ever had acupuncture performed on you?

Acupuncture is no miracle cure for injuries. The oriental approach is best suited for prevention and takes a more comprehensive approach. Yes, acupuncture can help aid recovery in conjunction with the body's efforts. It can also help alleviate pain (subject to belief in pain, I suppose...it is hard to quantify).

TLL - I don't ignore posts. I try and understand what you are saying though. I am a big fan of western medicine for certain scenarios, but one should understand the shortcomings of both approaches. Western medicine is certainly geared towards reaction, which is often driven by trauma.
    I like the scientific studies you provided...hardly do they encompass the scope necessary to establish anything. Let's also keep in mind that those people were probably seeking alternative medicine due to the failure of western medicine.
    Last edited by CharacterZero; 12-15-2008 at 07:44 AM.