mtbr member
    Apr 2014

wrist pain with 750mm bars

I tend to be a monkey see, monkey do kind of fellah when it comes to replacing the stock parts. All the tribesmen of the Yeti SB66 clan swear by wide bars and 50mm stem combo. I drank a half glass of the kool-aid and picked up a Easton Havoc 750mm aluminum bar and mounted it to my stock 75mm Truativ stem. I do like the way the wider bar feels in the ride, but my wrist (particularly my left wrist) is starting to bother me. Any possible solutions would be much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Try a bike fit either at lbs or at least online.
    Make sure the brake levers are adjusted so that your wrists are pretty much straight when your fingers are on the levers.
    If your bars have rise then you can rotate them to adjust cockpit length, as well as sweep if you have any.
    If your bike fit well before the longer bars then it makes sense that you'd need a shorter stem to compensate. The longer or shorter the bars are in comparison to how wide your shoulders are, the longer the reach becomes.
    You could also, once you change the stem if you do, move the grips and controls inward and ride for a while to see if a bit shorter on the bars works before you cut them.
    How long were the old bars, difference in rise or sweep?
    Round and round we go

29er
    Apr 2010
    Wider bar without shortening the stem will put more weight on your wrists

Warrior's Society
    Different bars have different bends and sweeps.....just because you went wider may not be the issue. Perhaps the bend back or the sweep up just doesn't work for you.

Persoally, I don't like the bend or sweep on the Easton bars....just couldn't get them to feel comfortable.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member

RE: wrist pain with 750mm bars

Usually lengthening the stem will relieve this. With a short stem you are pushing yourself up thus pressure on the wrists.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    Usually lengthening the stem will relieve this. With a short stem you are pushing yourself up thus pressure on the wrists.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Um, no
    If your shoulders are wide and you went from a bar that was a bit narrower then your shoulders to a bit wider then the reach remains the same. If your shoulders are narrow and with the same new bars you went from a bit wider to a lot wider then there's a difference. This reach can also be adjusted/compensated with handlebar rise and sweep, as well as stem rise and length. Either way more upright means less weight on wrists, more on saddle or pedals, even with a strong core.
    Last edited by theMeat; 07-14-2014 at 03:10 PM.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have narrow shoulder's so 750 is simply to wide....got me between the shoulder blades.

I have 700's on all my bikes. And yes you may also need more sweep.
    Drinking the " Kool-Aid " may be the KOOL thing to do but a pain free ride sounds cooler.

In theory, widening the bars would require more sweep to keep your wrist's aligned with your previous set-up.

mtbr member
    Go down to a 45mm-50mm Stem. That should solve your wrist issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    1. Go on an easy ride.
    2. Observe the angle of both your wrists during the ride.
    3. Ask yourself the following questions.
    Are your wrists bent? If the wrist is bent while you ride, it keeps bending even more back and forth while your bike goes up and down through the bumps.
    Maybe you need to bend/unbend your elbows while you ride so that your wrist remain straight. Or probably you need to adjust the angle of your brake levers or your gear shifters.
    Have you injured your left wrist in the past? Maybe you need to wear a wrist strap in your injured wrist.

mtbr member
    longer bars = slower steering
    longer stem = slower steering

a longer stem will put more weight on the grips/front wheel, and if the wider bars increase reach, they will too.
    Round and round we go

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks ya'll for the suggestions. I did go out on a ride this morning. I was riding with my wife so I had plenty of time to scrutinize my wrist angle, how much bend of the elbows, how the controls were situated......I suspect shortening the stem will do the trick.