mtbr member

Would you consider a 24" wheeled bike for a short rider?

I am about to build a bike for my fiancee. She's 5'1" with a short torso. I have a friend with an aluminum frame 24" bike who wants to move to a 26". I have a 26" I was going to rebuild on a smaller frame and am considering some sort of trade. I'm 6'2" so I have no experience with 24" bikes. The 24" has a super crappy fork. I thought I might be able to put a nice 80mm 26" fork on it though with disc brakes. Question is: for really short riders is a 24" better than a 26" or is it just personal preference? I assume ride would be better with a 26", but would there be much difference?

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Good luck finding a decent set of disc 24" wheels, tires, and a frame. I'd go with 26 just for that reason alone.

beater
    I have a friend who is 5' nothing. She fits quite happily onto a XS Santa Cruz Juliana.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    No on the 24!! Gears, forks and wheels would be a nightmare.

My Wife is 5-1 and she found an extra small Santa Cruz Juliana to be too small for her. She now rides a medium Rocky Mountain Blizzard and a small Juliana and both fit her perfectly.

There are plenty of 26 options out there for the vertically challenged.

NONDURO
    Surly 1x1.
    QUOTE from MTBR.COM: You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later.

It's about showing up.
    No. There are plenty of S and XS bikes from top makers out there to demonstrate their functionality for smaller folk. The roll you get from a 24 in anything bumpy will be halting and uncomfortable. On the flats the 26s will pull away. Further, with the limited selection of wheels and frames I'll just bet you will end up with a heavy bike, too.
    I don't rattle.

AZ
    banned
    Too many good choices to have to resort to 24" wheels imo.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    No on the 24!! Gears, forks and wheels would be a nightmare.

My Wife is 5-1 and she found an extra small Santa Cruz Juliana to be too small for her. She now rides a medium Rocky Mountain Blizzard and a small Juliana and both fit her perfectly.

There are plenty of 26 options out there for the vertically challenged.
    In terms of seat tube length, what size is a medium Blizzard?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley Mike View Post
    No. There are plenty of S and XS bikes from top makers out there to demonstrate their functionality for smaller folk. The roll you get from a 24 in anything bumpy will be halting and uncomfortable. On the flats the 26s will pull away. Further, with the limited selection of wheels and frames I'll just bet you will end up with a heavy bike, too.
    That's about what I was thinking, but I just wanted to post it first to see if I might be missing something. I'll probably end up rebuilding my 19" loaner bike on a 16" frame for her. I'll see how she does on a 17" I have first though.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior View Post
    In terms of seat tube length, what size is a medium Blizzard?
    A medium is usually 17.5" (seat tube length) but it varies between 16"-18" - don't go by this measure since it varies between manufacturers and the actual bike geometry.

Also consider the virtual TT length. This affects the reach and for smaller riders if the TT length is to long, the comfort level goes down.

Go to an LBS and have her test ride bikes of different sizes before buying one. Some shops even have demo bikes for this purpose. Ride them for at least 15min or so. A 3-minute spin in the parking lot will not show many problems that come up in extended riding.

Take a few minutes to also read this:
    Revisionist Theory of Bicycle Sizing

-S

P.S. There are always exceptions. I'm 5'5" and supposed to be riding a medium frame but I find that I'm really comfortable on some large frames like my stumpy.

mtbr member
    My wife is 5'-nothing on a cheap 24", and I'd completely recommend against it. Too hard to find anything - tires, tubes, fork, blah blah blah and I assume that the ride is pretty crummy. We got it before I knew any better, but I plan on building her a 26er and just haven't gotten around to it. One of my bikes is an On One Inbred, and I've considered getting one of those for her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shibiwan View Post

Also consider the virtual TT length. This affects the reach and for smaller riders if the TT length is to long, the comfort level goes down.

Go to an LBS and have her test ride bikes of different sizes before buying one. Some shops even have demo bikes for this purpose. Ride them for at least 15min or so. A 3-minute spin in the parking lot will not show many problems that come up in extended riding.
    Very good advice. My problem though is that we're living in China where the have a one-size (17") fits all approach, and where the people in the bike shops know virtually nothing about anything. We have a boutique Specialized shop here selling $7,000 bikes and they don't even carry spacers for the steerer. I have a loaner 17" she can try and we can just judge from there. Nothing I can find on the internet gives any bike geometry info except seat post length so I'll just have to guess on the rest.

She's 5'1" and proportionally longer in the legs and shorter in the torso. I think I'll end up with something like a 16" with about a 70 or 80mm stem. I want to keep this on a very low budget. The frame (a Merida) I'll buy is only about $30 so if it's a little to big or too small it's not a huge loss. I can afford to get it wrong once or twice before buying one that's just right assuming she even wants to keep going with it.

Rock and/or Roll
    Dec 2005
    ...and eventually, we'll be saying the same thing about 26er parts availability, and I'll be forced to buy a bike with larger wheels for no reason, other than I won't be able to get decent equipment in the old standard wheel size.

I'm already forced to buy a drivetrain with more rear gears than I truly need, because all the newer and better shifters are only available that way.

banned
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollution Warrior View Post
    Very good advice. My problem though is that we're living in China where the have a one-size (17") fits all approach, and where the people in the bike shops know virtually nothing about anything. We have a boutique Specialized shop here selling $7,000 bikes and they don't even carry spacers for the steerer. I have a loaner 17" she can try and we can just judge from there. Nothing I can find on the internet gives any bike geometry info except seat post length so I'll just have to guess on the rest.

She's 5'1" and proportionally longer in the legs and shorter in the torso. I think I'll end up with something like a 16" with about a 70 or 80mm stem. I want to keep this on a very low budget. The frame (a Merida) I'll buy is only about $30 so if it's a little to big or too small it's not a huge loss. I can afford to get it wrong once or twice before buying one that's just right assuming she even wants to keep going with it.

You could buy a chinese bike. They're all built for little people. LOL

But seriously, I can see where you're coming from. Over there in China you're pretty much SOL for choice. Funny thing is all the little bike accessories, etc all come from there. You'd think they'll be all over the place in the Chinese shops.

-S

mtbr member
    I built my son a 1x8 46er using all STX-RC components from a donor bike. Picked up a Rhyno Lite 24" rim and had it laced up.He's just under 5'1 and has a blast on it.