Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2009

would you buy a house near a rail road track?

so thats the question, would you or wouldnt you? does anyone live by a railroad? im looking at nice house in my city but the only thing bugging me is the train. there is a sound wall behind the house and the railroad track is about 5-800 ft from the house but it is a nice house.
    Last edited by menusk; 05-05-2011 at 01:54 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by menusk
    so thats the question, would you or wouldnt you? does anyone live by a railroad? im looking at nice house in my city but the only thing bugging me is the train. there is a sound wall behind the house and the railroad track is about 1000 ft from the house but it is a nice house.
    I would. I have lived in places where you can hear the trains clearly 4-5 miles from the tracks. and lived less than a block away. But it can drive some people crazy.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    I would not. My dad lived right next to a track (thankfully AFTER I was out of the house) and it sucked. You'd be over there for dinner and mid-conversation and then the train would come by and there was no talking for a few minutes while it passed. I hated it.
    :wq

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Depends CPR mainline is probably not the best to be beside......

I live about 5 k from the mainline....trains are audible especially at night....but you have to listen for it.

The sound wall will help but a big train shakes the ground.

psycho cyclo addict
    NO... your gut is telling you- wait for what you want instead of settling for rumbling noise at any time of the day or night.

You may like the house and might be oblivious to the noise though odds are if there's more than you moving in, it will affect someone. Resale value is also something to consider... tough sell.

ride the moment
    I lived about 40 ft. from a railroad track for over a year. The rumble wasn't bad to me, it would wake you up and then just rock you back to sleep. However, if you are close to a crossing signal with a bell that dings the whole time the train is passing it's a whole different experience. The dinger was far form my house, but one day I was stopped at the signal and looked over at the houses right next to it and realized what they went through several nights a week. Also, if there are lots of cross streets near by then you'll get to hear the horn blaring as the engine passes. The honking isn't nearly as bad as the dinging because you can usually only hear it for 30 seconds or so.
    Just because you read a book it don't make you conscious. - MC Lush

mtbr member
    I lived next to a track for a year. you eventually tune it out, and barely notice it, but it would certainly not be my first choice.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    hmmm sorta like a split decision going on here haha

AZ
    banned
    Nothing like the train horn @ 3:00 am.

mtbr member

nope

Passed on a reduced price lot 13 years ago that backed up to the tracks. Built about 1/2 mi north of that lot (paid a little more) and we still hear the train like it's coming through our backyard several times a night. Can't imagine living in the lot we looked at originally. It would probably wake up the kids every night, and make the dog bark.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm 6/10ths of a mile from the tracks, it's not a problem, but would not want to be much closer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I bought a house 2 blocks from a RR track. Train runs all day/night, but it was slow so not really loud. Most of the time I don't even know a train passed unless I was heading towards the crossing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I lived less than a block from a railroad and a railroad crossing. The crossing sucked. Bells and lights. I swore I would never do it again.
    If ya ain't bleedin'...ya ain't ridin'.

Professional Crastinator
    You'd probably love to pick up the house and put it on a different lot. I had to make this decision once. It was a beautiful house with a nice porch, big yard, totally built out garage, wood work, nice floors... and train tracks at the back of the property. I am a mechanical engineer and am pretty aware of, and in tune with, mechanical sounds of machinery and such. It is impossible for me to ignore a train. Plus, the crossing was not far off so all trains going West sounded their horn as they went by.
    One day I rode my bike around that neighborhood and stopped at the house every time a train went by. I decided that no matter how nice the house was, there was no way I was going to live by the tracks and listen to wheels with flat spots, compressed air leaks, diesel engines, squeaks, rattles, etc.
    Good hunting to you.

-F

Sweat is just fat crying.
    I'd vote no. That's a little too close. I live in the country and the tracks are about 1/4 mile away. Perfect. I can hear it, but can't feel it.

Plus, those sound walls are magnets for graffiti.

Edit: Can you make an appt. to be there on a busy train day? Lie in a bedroom and imagine you're trying to sleep.
    Last edited by Finch Platte; 05-05-2011 at 03:04 PM.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

Derptastic
    Mr. President, what are your thoughts on this matter?

I concur.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nadric
    Mr. President, what are your thoughts on this matter?

I concur.
    403 Forbidden
    You have no access to the requested URL

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Cherokee web server, Port 80
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    I would! My town is full of them and I have family who's backyard butts up to the tracks. Honestly, I love it. It gives me a sense of relaxation (similar to a white noise machine) you know?!

But....I think more people would choose NOT to live by the tracks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I do - maybe 25-30m from my flat - and after a week or two living here I realised i didn't notice it that often, you get used to it. It's a fairly busy line into London but I'd take this kind of noise over a busy main road anyday. Obviously total rural tranquility would be better, but I have a nice flat with a garage that backs onto geen space on the other side and there's great singletrack within a 3 minute spin into the hills. It was a concern when I moved, but it's proven to be far less of a disturbance than i thought. Trains over car traffic any day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I wouldn't, I wouldn't buy one near an airport either. And if by some twist of fate I wound up doing so...I damned sure wouldn't complain about the noise from either, I'd just deal with it till I had the means to move....
    Quote Originally Posted by ridelikeafatkid
    "MOMMY, I WANT TO RIDE LIKE THAT FAT KID!" true story.

mtbr member
    NO WAY!!!! I live about one mile from some tracks, I hear that damn thing at all times of the morning. Good part is I havn't overslept since I moved in since one always goes through town about 5:45 am every morning, then again at 6:30.
    "A full rigid SS or fixie is 99% rider, 1% bike, and 100% more fun" Monogod

Afric Pepperbird
    I would. If you get sick of the working man's life; the toils of the underpaid and under-appreciated sap, you could always hop the rails. Become a free-roaming hobo. Ahhh... livin' the life.

mtbr member
    Never! My office is about 200 feet from the tracks and it kinda sucks. When I was a kid, I lived about 7 miles from the tracks. When the weather was right, like a cool still late afternoon, you could hear the train. I read somewhere that the sound bounces off the atmosphere when the conditions are just right.
    '96 San Andreas
    '12 SC Nickel LT
    Incoming: 2008 Lotus Exige S 240
    '12 Toy FJ TT
    '05 Cooper S
    '95 Honda HB Si
    '71 Dino 246 GT

nocturnal oblivion
    Nooooooo!!!! Don't do it! My work put me up in a motel for a week and there was a train that ran nearby. It must have been where the conductor was required to blow the horn along the route because a couple times a night I'd be awakened to that-every night.
    If you know the train schedules and where they blow the horn, and none of it is bothersome then maybe I would.
    "...like sex with the trail." - Boe

mtbr member
    Never, its always gonna kill your resale

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast