mtbr member
    Mar 2018

Would this fork work on my Hybrid?

Just considering this Suntour trade in program, clicking around out of daily boredom. Came across this fork that would be $200 with the trade in on the form from my Cannondale Quick CX 3 bike:

https://www.cannondale.com/USA/bike/...1-cc6a430f9cd4

I love the bike, I turn into a complete hooligan every time I get on it. I actually have more fun on it riding neighborhood streets than I do sometimes riding my MTB hardtail; primarily because I can really haul ass down smooth roads then jump down some nasty brick roads, manual and bunny hop all over the bricks, curbs, and pot holes at 15-20mph, then cruise back home on pavement with no effort required on thinner not-so-knobby tires.

Thought maybe a good fork might benefit me since the coil that comes on it is pretty tight, even with the "adjustable preload" all the way to soft. I can attest to the fact that I do actually use almost all of the suspension travel because you can see travel lines almost to the top of the stanchion when I get off the bike.

I'm also wondering if a softer fork would benefit my front wheel because sometimes it's a bit rough on landing and I've noticed the quick release is a little loose every now and then. There was one ride where I didn't even notice until I got off the bike that the front wheel was riding at an angle, it must have come a little loose at some point in the air and stuck that way. Somehow the disc wasn't rubbing, which was the really weird part to me, but no harm done.

I'm riding 700 x 38c tires, the ones that came on the bike. So my question is would this fork still work with these rims if I got the 29" version of the fork?

https://www.srsuntour.com/products/r...nt=27529043075
    Last edited by blue92lx; 05-12-2018 at 12:37 PM.

slow
    Based on the specs in the links you provided, it looks like it will fit. 700x38 will fit a 29'er fork. Looks like the replacement fork will accept your 9mm QR hub and has a disc mount for 160mm. Make sure you order the correct steer tube. The spec you linked shows your bike has a tapered steer tube.

since 4/10/2009
    The fork on your bike is a 50mm fork. The shortest that Suntour can go is 80mm. That's going to be quite a bit more travel than you have and it'll change the bike quite a bit, as the Suntour will have a significantly longer axle-crown dimension. It'll slacken the bike and slow the handling, for sure.

First step for you should be to check to see if there's a lighter spring available for your fork. That'll be your cheapest option to improve its performance. Suntour says your fork is "fully serviceable" so that's a good sign.

Looks like Suntour offers a couple models that would be slight upgrades to what you have. A couple air forks. One with a remote lockout and the other with a crown lockout lever. Those would be very slight upgrades from what you have. They're still less than $100 retail more than the MSRP on yours (MSRP of $200). So not a ton of difference.

Other options might be the Rockshox Paragon series, Fox AX, or potentially even the Lauf Grit. Not all of those would be all that feasible, to be honest. Some would require a thru axle front wheel (which you don't have). Some are offered only with tapered steerers and others only with straight steerers, which may well require new headset cups to make it fit. The axle-crown dimensions vary a good bit. Travel amounts vary a decent bit. Of course, Suntour doesn't say what the axle-crown dimension of your fork is. So that's nice. You'd have to measure it directly.

My money would be on the Rockshox Paragon Gold RL, though. $250 MSRP gets you a nicely adjustable air spring, a couple different travel options (50 and 65mm, both of which would be better suited to your bike), and legit compression damper that's more than just a lockout.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    hmm yeah I didn't think about the length of the fork changing the angle of the front end. Yeah the Suntour 100mm Raidon fork is 517mm and my fork is 457mm which is a pretty drastic difference. The paragon series would be the better choice but then it's $250 and not a tapered head so that adds to the cost.

I guess the best choice then is finding a lighter coil for the current fork.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blue92lx View Post
    hmm yeah I didn't think about the length of the fork changing the angle of the front end. Yeah the Suntour 100mm Raidon fork is 517mm and my fork is 457mm which is a pretty drastic difference. The paragon series would be the better choice but then it's $250 and not a tapered head so that adds to the cost.

I guess the best choice then is finding a lighter coil for the current fork.
    According to here: https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/paragon-gold-rl

tapered is an option. I still say check with Suntour for a lighter spring for your fork. If you wind up deciding that a new fork is what you want to do, I think this one covers your bases well, and is only $50 more than the Suntour trade-in program (which is geared more for mtb's).