mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Would a 'dirt-jump' mountain bike fit a 12 year old 5'1-2 growing kid??

My son hasn't hit his growth spurt yet, but he is only a little shorter than average for his grade from what I've seen, which is sixth. He will be 12 years old next spring when he would ride the bike I am considering getting him for Christmas. So for anybody that knows or has a good opinion, would a dirt jumper mountain bike with a 14' seat tube and a 22' Top Tube fit a kid who that is 5'1 and will probably be 5'2 in the spring?? Would this make a decent light trail bike for a kid?

mtbr member
    It should work, have you considered a XS (13-14") mtb?

At that age my kid was riding a XS Gary Fisher Marlin and he was about that height at the time.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    It should work, have you considered a XS (13-14") mtb?

At that age my kid was riding a XS Gary Fisher Marlin and he was about that height at the time.
    LOL at your kid riding single track at night!! "Ride faster son!!" Sorry haha. And thank you very much for the reply. My kid is a little smaller boned than yours there, although our family has a history of late growth spurts. I thought about an XS or even a small tbh, I think this will be the bike he has at least through middle school, and I would be sad if he outgrew it. But I can get a deal on an older dirt jumper right now that I can't get close to matching with a 13-14' year model. Thanks again.

mtbr member
    The only thing with the dirt jumper will be the harser ride (fork) and the shorter stays. That GF lasted a while, by the time of that pic a replacement frame was on it's way because it was small for him; he jumped from the 13" to 16" and now rides a 18" 29er.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DiRt DeViL View Post
    The only thing with the dirt jumper will be the harser ride (fork) and the shorter stays. That GF lasted a while, by the time of that pic a replacement frame was on it's way because it was small for him; he jumped from the 13" to 16" and now rides a 18" 29er.
    It has a pretty decent fork on it, but I guess they make forks on those bikes harsher by nature.. I've never ridden one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    My 12 year old hasn't quite hit 5' yet and he rides a Trek 4900 with a 13" (XS) frame and it fits him great.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    If you need to because of a good deal, then by all means do what you need to.. but...

My son is also 11, 5' even. He's ridden my DJ which is a 16" Seattube with 22" Toptube (Brown Hardtail) and he's ridden an XS Trail bike (Ventana), Note that while not much different in fit, the DJ stretches him out more because of the slack angles. He was a lot more comfortable on the 15" Trailbike. And no that's not his bike, it was borrowed from his Aunt. We went with a 15" Fuji that fit him a bit big and he's growing into it. Should easily fit him into the first years of high school.

Also, he can barely move the fork on my DJ despite running just coils (has air preload adjustment) where as the Reba on his Fuji is dialedto 60psi +/65psi- and is very active for him.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Would a 'dirt-jump' mountain bike fit a 12 year old 5'1-2 growing kid??-adriantrail.jpg  

Would a 'dirt-jump' mountain bike fit a 12 year old 5'1-2 growing kid??-kidjumper1.jpg  

-Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciclistagonzo View Post
    If you need to because of a good deal, then by all means do what you need to.. but...

My son is also 11, 5' even. He's ridden my DJ which is a 16" Seattube with 22" Toptube (Brown Hardtail) and he's ridden an XS Trail bike (Ventana), Note that while not much different in fit, the DJ stretches him out more because of the slack angles. He was a lot more comfortable on the 15" Trailbike. And no that's not his bike, it was borrowed from his Aunt. We went with a 15" Fuji that fit him a bit big and he's growing into it. Should easily fit him into the first years of high school.

Also, he can barely move the fork on my DJ despite running just coils (has air preload adjustment) where as the Reba on his Fuji is dialedto 60psi +/65psi- and is very active for him.
    Is your DJ bike too harsh for him to ride on light trails? Like fire road/ two way stuff?

mtbr member
    One of the 13" Trek 4000-series bikes would definitely fit a 5' kid. My son is only 4'5" and he *allllllmost* fits on one. The good thing is they're like cockroaches - they're everywhere, and they'll last forever.

Ultra Ventanaphile
    Quote Originally Posted by STACK View Post
    Is your DJ bike too harsh for him to ride on light trails? Like fire road/ two way stuff?
    I would say yes but you can mod the forks. He's a big kid, ~120 (takes after me 220+) and he barely moves it more than 3/4". It's a Marz DJ 1 which uses coils and Air Assit for preload. For him I bled out all the air. If he was going to use it more, I would take out one of the springs and run just the Air Assisted side and possibly run lighter oil. Most DJ forks have heavy compression damping for the big hits. The lighter oil will help with taking out some of the harshness.

Like I mentioned, I totally get the "good deal" scenario, if you go that route just be prepared to have to mod the bike a bit.

-A
    -Aaron G.

"Before D.W., "anti-squat" was referred to as pedal feedback."