Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011

is it worth it buying low budget repair stand?

Hi I was wondering anyone have experience with them would they loosen up with the bike on the stand?
    I saw this ones but there are others similar

Adjustable Pro Bicycle Repair Stand Mechanic Workstand - TheLAShop

Adjustable Rotated Bicycle Repair Stand Mechanic Workstand - TheLAShop

mtbr member
    I bought a $100 stand from pricepoint. I have been happy with it so far.
    Joe
    2003 KHS Alite 4000 26" Hardtail - XC, All mountain, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I have the stand from the first link you posted. I'm no expert bike mechanic but I've had this stand for about 2-3 months now and it's been nothing but great. The fact that it folds away nicely so that I can stow it in the corner of the garage or even throw it on the bike of my truck is well worth it. It's stable, the top clamp is sturdy enough and the included magnetic tray and handlebar holder are an added bonus. I really like that you can rotate the clamp in small increments and the mechanism seems to be sturdy enough.
    I'm not saying this stand is equivalent to an uber expensive Park Tool stand but for the $65 shipped I paid it's certainly worth every penny.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can make a stand pretty cheep,look in the tools forum or google it.

T.W.O.
    I like the first one. It looks more solid. I don't like the stand of the second one, if you rotate the bike on the stand it may not be as stable as when it's in the center.

mtbr member
    If you plan on working on bikes for hours and hours every week then I'd recommend getting something fancier and heavy duty. But if you are like most of us and use the stand mostly to lube the drivetrain and make minor adjustments then any cheap stand should be fine. Even if you do major work on your bike once in a while an expensive stand isn't really needed. I'd rather use the extra money for a truing stand and other tools.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    I bought a $100 stand from pricepoint. I have been happy with it so far.
    Yep, I got mine from pricepoint for cheap as well. I have it for over a year and it's great!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    If you spend a bit more money and get a lower end Park Stand, you'll be much better off.
    2013 Transition TransAM 29er
    2011 Yeti 303R DH
    2012 Banshee Spitfire V1.5

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    You can build a sturdy stand for about $30.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    My Nashbar stand has performed very well.
    Monte
    Lodging & Guiding for SW Utah Trails
    http://www.vrbo.com/298759
    www.UtahMountainBikingAdventures.com
    MTBR Discounts

MTBR Member
    If you have a solid bench or post/wall, these may be a good option...Park Tool PRS 4W 1 Deluxe Wall Mount Repair Stand Bike Repair Clamp New | eBay -- Park Tool PRS 7 2BENCH Mount Repair Stand and 100 5D Clamp Single | eBay

Having a nice solid base is good for high torque parts like cranks and bottom brackets.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    First linked stand is good - with splayed feet giving some leverage from the rear and all four sides. No go on the second one - similar to my Nashbar special and it gets tippy too often.

mtbr member
    Going from no stand to ANY stand is a huge improvement. I spent 20 years (on and off) working on bikes without a stand. I finally got smart and bought my first stand about 6 months ago. It is SO much easier and so much more fun to work on my bikes now that I'm kicking myself for not getting a stand years ago.

That being said, I would think that the change from an OK stand to a great stand would be less impactful!
    I live with fear and danger every day. And on the weekends she lets me go mountain biking.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinGT View Post
    That being said, I would think that the change from an OK stand to a great stand would be less impactful!
    As long as the stand is at least OK, this statement is so true.

The one in the first link looks better, more metal and less plastic than the one in the second link.

Birdman aka JMJ
    Quote Originally Posted by VTSession View Post
    If you spend a bit more money and get a lower end Park Stand, you'll be much better off.
    Agree - I've had a Park Consumer stand for almost 20 years - steel construction, very easy to work on. It has fold-out legs but otherwise is very sturdy and easy to use.

Try to go with the most steel construction you can afford if you're not going to be traveling with it.

JMJ

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    thank you all
    No I wont be able to use one of those bench stand or wall, im in a rental house.

I posted those link without searching much, so the 1st link is a good deal then?
    my question was because the 1st time I looked at stand the ones I saw were in the $230 range now I just saw that $99 stand along with some other in the $175 range.

it seem there are mixed reviews about this one, the Spin doctor pro G3
    Spin Doctor Pro G3 Work Stand -

this one same thing mixed reviews, Park PCS-10
    Park Tool PCS-10 Home Mechanic Work Stand -

the sette I saw good reviews, ST-7 DLX
    Sette ST-7 DLX Foldable Workstand | Sette | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

this one look nice also, plus the free 2 day shipping,
    it seem that it have a plastic connection between the horizontal tube and vertical one, wonder if it would last since it would hold the most stress
    Amazon.com: Feedback Sports Sport-Mechanic Repair Stand (Black): Sports & Outdoors

so would it worth it to get one of those or the 1 on my first post at $60
    or it mostly a brand thing

yes just casual work, cleaning etc.
    debating if I leave the bike on it overnight. that may be another topic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I constantly leave my bike on the stand overnight with no issues. The rubber feet on the jaws leave no mark whatsover on my bike. The bike will rotate if you're doing work on it that requires putting a lot of force so I just get a good grip on the frame but I've never had the bike fall off or come loose from the stand. For the 60 or so bucks, it's definitely gets the job done.

mtbr member
    Unless you work on bicycles constantly and your $$$ is dependent upon the speed at which you fix a bicycle, spending money on a stand in general is a waste.

I've been using a $6 ratchet pulley attached to the ceiling + $5 spectra to suspend bikes to work on them. 360deg access. I find it the fastest way to do things + it's cheap and easy.

In a shop setting when you turn and burn, then a bolt-in stand is nice for everyday stuff. And then an overhead C-track carrier system is better when assembling a lot of bikes at once. Just pass the bike along on the carrier to the next guy to assemble something else or store the finished product.

Trail-side... I use a compact stand and I don't really like it.
    - The only thing that keeps me on a bike is happiness.

mtbr member
    I just picked up a barely used Wrench Force stand($200) on CL for $30. Used is always the best deal for stands.

T.W.O.

is it worth it buying low budget repair stand?

I have a spin dr pro it's the same as Topeak pro, as well as 2 park tool stands no complaints about the park tools they are solid, well one, they are considerably heavier than the spin dr. Found myself using the spin dr most of the time because its lighter and easier to set up and move around. I added a tool trays for $10-15 deal I found on amazon.

I'd definitely recommend you to go with the spin dr.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    this one look nice also, plus the free 2 day shipping,
    it seem that it have a plastic connection between the horizontal tube and vertical one, wonder if it would last since it would hold the most stress
    Amazon.com: Feedback Sports Sport-Mechanic Repair Stand (Black): Sports & Outdoors
    I have something nearly identical to this Feedback stand (that I bought off ebay years ago). Its a VERY solid stand and always done me right. I recall paying about $120 for it. I use it every week. The worst part about it is when i collapse the tripod base, I have to be careful not to catch my fingers. Done that once ..OUCH!).

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I just called the theLAshop about the Adjustable Pro Bicycle Repair Stand Mechanic Workstand to ask about the warranty only have a 90 day warranty for $60

I think I might spent the difference and get the performance stand they have a 20% now until the 11 of this month plus the lifetime warranty.
    anyone have a coupon for performance?

they also sell the park tool pcs 10 with the 20%

so the base of the spin doctor is better than the park tools 10?

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by cloudbuster View Post
    I just called the theLAshop about the Adjustable Pro Bicycle Repair Stand Mechanic Workstand to ask about the warranty only have a 90 day warranty for $60

I think I might spent the difference and get the performance stand they have a 20% now until the 11 of this month plus the lifetime warranty.
    anyone have a coupon for performance?

they also sell the park tool pcs 10 with the 20%

so the base of the spin doctor is better than the park tools 10?
    I'd say different, but much lighter for sure. I do agree with SleeStack I did get pinch a few times but I definitely learn not to repeat that too often Both my Park tool stands are much heavier and took a bit longer to set up, plus both lean forward instead of standing straight up. I work on my bike all the time and the Spin Dr is just the right tool for me. I first bought the plain version and just add the tool tray and digital scale later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I bought one of the Sette stands during a free shipping weekend. The best feature of it is it collapses down really easy, takes up no space, and is light. The downside is it isn't super stable. Not saying it falls over all the time but you do have to be care full cranking on things and sometimes stand on one of the legs to brace it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    This would be like buying other hobby stuff. Always get the best you can afford, otherwise
    you'll ask yourself why you didn't get so-and-so brand the first ...

That said, looking for used should be a good route. It's just a stand, hard to say you need
    it NOW, so be patient and get a good used

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast