Hissatsu Jitensha-nin

Woman escapes tsunami by bike!

My spelling is atroshus
    I lived there for close to seven years. They are very bicycle friendly in Japan. They even have laws that protect cyclists.

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Quote Originally Posted by RBowles
    I lived there for close to seven years. They are very bicycle friendly in Japan. They even have laws that protect cyclists.
    boka wa Nihon ni itta koto ga arimasen...I studied Japanese for 8 years (and I still think I flubbed that simple sentence)! Never been there. I guess they make em pretty tough out there eh? I'd love to see that old ladies rig though. Probably rode a Kuwahara.

High Desert MTBer
    I don't really want to seem callous, but I just don't get what is so amazing about this story? Why are they making such a big deal about it? This woman is over 80, OK, but she has stayed healthy. Given a tsunami warning, and a choice of bike or shanks' pony, what are you gonna do? I doubt she was doing a Lance away from the water. Good on her, but there are much more important things out there to report.
    I guess the real news is that she is healthy and able to ride a bike... a lesson for us all perhaps? Eat a lot of fish and ride a bike...

I need skills
    Jul 2004

"like" button

that is what I was thinking. Plus, glad she made it.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bikes are a great way to get around in a disaster zone, I've seen them in some of the pics.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc
    I don't really want to seem callous, but I just don't get what is so amazing about this story? Why are they making such a big deal about it? This woman is over 80, OK, but she has stayed healthy. Given a tsunami warning, and a choice of bike or shanks' pony, what are you gonna do? I doubt she was doing a Lance away from the water. Good on her, but there are much more important things out there to report.
    I guess the real news is that she is healthy and able to ride a bike... a lesson for us all perhaps? Eat a lot of fish and ride a bike...
    Well there are hundreds of other stories with content about things more serious but this is still a nice human interest story, and think of the percentage of American 83 year old women who would or could do this.

I wouldn't be eating too much fish if you want to stay alive for a long time. Have you been reading the reports about how much crap is in the water almost everywhere on the planet? I'd keep it to a minimum.

A more interesting side story is how many tracking sites did you have to allow with No Script to watch that video? Like 5 or something. Now that is a disaster
    Last edited by modifier; 03-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

High Desert MTBer
    I saw it on CNN originally, and 2 or 3 times again online... and I get it on the fish, not so healthy over there now, but she has had a good few years of less-tainted fish in her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave_schuldt
    Bikes are a great way to get around in a disaster zone, I've seen them in some of the pics.
    If society collapses it'll be the people with bikes and guns that survive.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockerc
    I saw it on CNN originally, and 2 or 3 times again online... and I get it on the fish, not so healthy over there now, but she has had a good few years of less-tainted fish in her.
    I actually meant where 'they' as in the fish live, as in in water, that is polluted almost every place on earth. I changed the wording to be more clear. Unfortunately we are living in an ever toxifying environment. I still eat everything but am more inclined to eat as far up the food chain as I can these days.

I've heard that if the Japanese ate as much fish as we do chicken they would be dieing regularly of mercury poisoning. Of course our eating so much chicken isn't helping us either. Organic might offer some buffer.
    No it never stops hurting, but if you keep at it you can go faster.

mtbr member
    Live long life Grandma.
    Pain - It's temporary.