Cute as a Button
    Feb 2004

Winter wear, thinking of buying Pearl Izumi AmFIB Bib Tight. Advice for or against?

I moved back to New York from years in the Tokyo area and this is my first January riding in this part of the world. In Japan I rode year round, any weather (even typhoons), but in the Northeast US it's much colder on a regular basis than I've become used to and I need something a bit warmer than my Thermafleece tights, also by Pearl Izumi.

I have been wearing long underwear under my Thermafleece tights, but I'd rather not.

So I'm thinking to run out and buy the Pearl Izumi AmFIB Bib Tight this week and just wanted to know if anyone has any comments or advice, for or against this product.

rack admirer

I have Amphib

Not the bib. They are overkill unless the temp is below 25 or you are riding in high wind. When you put them on, you can immediately feel the front of your thighs heat up. I have worn these at 0 to 4 deg far. and was fine.
    MCM # 57

Lucifer rides an mtb

PI is a great brand

It will be hard to find any bad press on Pearl Izumi, just about everything I've bought of theirs has been great. I happen to prefer the fit of Cannondale tights in the winter... use their lighter weight Klondike down to about 30 degrees F, then their Chrono-series "warmest" tight below that. My local shop doesn't carry the heavier weight so I had to special order them. So far, they've taken me into the single digits with nothing but a chamois liner uunderneath. My shop does carry the Amfib now and the winter riders that work there swear by them. I don't wear bibs - just regular tights... just a personal preference.

FYI: I just got a pair of the full-finger Amfib gloves yesterday and test-rode them for just over 2 hours in temps of the mid-teens -- fingers never got cold and I didn't have to use handwarmers.

mtbr member
    I have tights, not bibs. I ride in Pisgah (North Carolina) and it never gets cold enough for those things, even though I will ride in the 20's . I haven't put them on in several years. I suspect you will find them plenty toasty. They do keep you from feeling the slushy spray on your rear end.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy

Deffinately warm

I wish I had gotten the bibs but that's another story.

As everyone else has said PI stuff is great. The AmFib tights are almost overkill in any situation. I've gone on sub zero rides with these and come home sweaty and hot.

mtbr member

Don't forget about Pee'ing...

My only problem with bibs is having to undress a bit more for "access" after drinking lots of Coffee. I like the C-Dale crono Knickers under tights with some shorts over the top...
    ' Bend's dirtiest Acupuncturist '

bendoregonsinglespeeders

teamwebcyclery