mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Which winter shoe? Shimano MW80 or Specialized Defroster?

I have narrowed my choice down to these two options:

Specialized Defroster

OR...

Shimano SH-MW80

My normal summer shoes are Specialized BG with the green insole as they fit my foot extremely well so the Defrosters are my first choice. However, I am thinking about the MW80's instead of the Specialized Defrosters as they seem to be more substantial, have Gortex liners, three straps and what seems to be a better grippy sole. However, none of my LBS have neither in stock so I would have to order to try. Before I go through the hassle, can anyone comment if the MW-80 are wider fitting than regular Shimano shoes? I know the Defrosters will fit very well.

Has anyone else had the same dilemma? What did you go with and why?

Note: These are my only two options as seem to have the right compromise: I've tried the Northwave Celsius (too narrow) and Lakes are too expensive and more boot than I need. I have never been able to wear Sidi due to the narrow width and the new Pearl Izumi GTX are also supposed to fit narrow. Other brands are not readily available here in Germany.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I got my MW80s from bike-components.de and love them so far...(you can also get a good deal from CRC nowadays with the exchange rate, they wre my first option, but didn't have my size in stock for a while)

I don't feel they are a lot wider than regular Shimanos....but in winter shoes I would recommend you buy them bigger than your "summer shoe size" so that you can use thick/double socks if necessary.....