T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004

Winter riding pant or lower winter wear suggestions ?

I'm looking for some riding pants that are warm , not bulky, very comfortable & flexible, and come in tall or XL sizes for riding when temps drop below 40 degrees F ! Any suggestions ? I have been using sweatpants is there something alot better ?Thanks ! TIG.

mtbr member
    I love Garneau stuff. I have a pair of their winter pants, you wear them over your riding shorts, and they're killer. Definitly only wear them when it gets below 40. Any thing over that and I just got converted to knickers and wool socks.

now all I need is a good shell.

Nat
    Solo contendre
    I've been using soft shell pants this year and so far I like them a lot. They're more breathable than nylon shell pants and are water resistant and windproof. Make sure you get a pair with a velcro or elastic cuff so they don't snag your chainring.

I got some North Face pants for $60 closeout from this place:

http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/pr...5Fsearch&N=808

Bodhisattva
    I find all winter pants to be overly constricting and prefer something like this...

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

Nat
    Solo contendre
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel
    I find all winter pants to be overly constricting and prefer something like this...

Dammit!

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    LOL............................................... ....... definitely not restrictive but you could freeze your A$$ off ! TIG.
    Last edited by TIGMAN; 11-12-2006 at 06:41 PM.

Ain't it fun chasin' HT
    That is SO wrong!! Funny as all hell....But wrong!! LOL

-----

TIGMAN, I'm going to try Under Armor Cold Gear leggings under my riding shorts. Don't know how it will turn out, but when I run in the cold weather the Cold Gear has worked out great. I had also planned on throwing a pair of wind pants on top of the combination for when it's really cold. We'll see.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Check out sugois clothes, they have alot of really nice stuff. I just ordered myself a pair of their firewall tights.

A tight for the worst winter conditions with full frontal wind and water defenses
    # Firewall is a breathable 3 layer 4-way stretch barrier that protects from the wind, rain and cold.*Now updated with a softer, brushed side against the skin
    # SubZero DWR resists rain absorption with the same power-packed brushed poly/spandex to
    http://www.sugoi.ca/category.php?k=59979

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Carhartt makes flannel lined jeans that are just great as long as you don't get all wet.
    HB - The God Damn Flying Dutchman
    Chicago Freeride
    Elgin, IL

Do It Yourself
    Long Live Long Rides

dirty trail dog
    Craft Quick-Wick pants. They're made for skiing, really, but work very well on a bike, are warm as hell, comfy, and wick sweat.

http://www.skiguys.com/productDetail...oductcode=5340

http://www.bikeparts.com/productinfo...580-57380.html
    yep...

I always bleed like this.
    Army BDU summer weight ripstop, they Look getto but I ain't no roadie either. They get the job done, are tough, not water proof but they dry out quick and give my legs enough protection and hold enough heat that I can ride into the teens and not be bothered.
    Truth is, your legs need very little to stay comfortable. If you keep your head covered and your hands and feet warm, the rest of your body just needs a light layer and you will be fine for anything under three hours or so. Oh, and a gator, I don't leave home without my gator.
    (Note: I would like to thank the US ARMY for providing me the opportunity to test the above theory about one light layer of clothing being MORE than enough for temps below 10degrees F and WELL in excess of 3 hours.)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by WEGOPDMtBkr
    TIGMAN, I'm going to try Under Armor Cold Gear leggings under my riding shorts. Don't know how it will turn out, but when I run in the cold weather the Cold Gear has worked out great. I had also planned on throwing a pair of wind pants on top of the combination for when it's really cold. We'll see.
    Yes, I use the Cold Gear leggings over a pair of riding shorts and they work great in weather into the 20's. No need for wind pants to get caught in the chainring.
    Just wear enough on top and keep your toes from freezing.

mtbr member
    Thermals or tights under heavy shorts (like military issue). I just picked up a pair of Columbia midweight tights (nylon/spandex underwear, actually) for like $18 at Marshalls. The problem with underwear is that you sometimes show buttcrack when riding unless you have a long-tailed shirt.
    Hi!
    Style: XC, Mid-Atlantic roots, rocks, & poison ivy
    Rides: '06 K2 Apache 6.0, '01 K2 Razorback Team

T , V , & K Rider
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for all the great suggestions on winter wear ! It helped ! TIG.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew

2nd on the Pearl Izumi AmFib's

Simply the BEST!