mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Winter/Long Sleeve Jersey ?'s

Anyone have a good recommendation for a decent cool weather mtb jersey? I'm not looking to break the bank and I'd like to get one before the rush hits. Are fleece the way to go? Sportwool? Just a normal long sleeve? I plan on riding in Michigan this fall and possibly some of the winter.

"Mr. Britannica"
    if you're not lookin' to break the bank, just get a coolmax type (Northface, REI or any other brand) ls t-shirt and pull on your ss jersey and/or jacket over that. Typically in winter you would be wearing an undershirt anyway.

jrm
    mtbr member

Craft

makes great t-shirts that you wear as a base layer. Kinda pricy though. As RGB sez the REI base layer wicking long sleeve t-shirts are a good value. Ive had two that i use on a regular basis. They really are great.

Don't touch me!

What about arm warmers?

I use them in the winter when I rarely ride; so far they have done the job here in SC.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beeristasty
    I use them in the winter when I rarely ride; so far they have done the job here in SC.
    I'm not sure about the arm warmers, but I might look into the REI long sleeves. I don't want to get too indepth with "thermals" and such. I've got all of that for snowmobiling...

34N 118W

REI outlet

check here often for deals. Finding your size can be the tricky part.

http://www.rei.com/outlet/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by dnale
    I'm not sure about the arm warmers, but I might look into the REI long sleeves. I don't want to get too indepth with "thermals" and such. I've got all of that for snowmobiling...

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Layers are best

I usually use a medium duofold type base layer. REI, $15-20 and it is usefull in all applications, I have some heavy ones that I wear on really cool days, and also have at least one that I got from Army Surplus for about $7, it has a zip-front and big collar to keep my neck warm.

For an outer layer, I use WalMart Starter brand wicking shirts. $7-15, wicks moisture and is as plain jane as they come. Sometimes I'll throw in a regular wicking jersey (from summer) in between to fine-tune my insulation. If it is WAY cold, I'll throw on my columbia shell on the outside, but even into the mid 20's that makes me sweat.

Layers are most versitile, most tuneable, and best of all, as you warm up you can take them off one at a time and put them in your camelback or whatever.....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i usually wear a north face jersey that i have a few of (they go on sale pretty often) with a windbreaker. if needed i'll wear a fleece first layer or my windstopper fleece. in the bay area that's about enough for just about the coldest we get....

I love Pisgah
    Arm warmers. They rock. You always get hot later on if its only cool enough to wear a long sleeve jersey in the first place. I'll wear'm with a reg jersey, and you can pull'm off even while riding(or racing..with my friggin teeth once), and stuff'm in a rear jersey pocket..under one legs spandex, etc. Same goes for knee and leg warmers(cept that taking them off while riding thing). Colder? I then wear a wind vest over the jersey/arm warmer setup. The kind with the mesh in the back. Colder? Driclime layering or synthetic wind jacket over it all. Same down below. Change out as ness.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

short woolie/armwarmers/windbreaker

Those three can comfortably get you through conditions from the 50s to 80s.

I've had a Swobo shortsleeve for years, and it rocks during cooler weather. The Spot stuff looks pretty similar.

banned
    Anyone have a good recommendation for a decent cool weather mtb jersey? I'm not looking to break the bank and I'd like to get one before the rush hits. Are fleece the way to go? Sportwool? Just a normal long sleeve? I plan on riding in Michigan this fall and possibly some of the winter.
    It's not exactly cheap, but the Pearl Izumi Voltana is very nice in cool weather. The Voltana over a lightweight jersey is fine for me to the low 50s/upper 40s. Sub a polypro base layer for the light jersey and add a windbreaker and I'm comfy below freezing.

all hail der Fuhrer Bush
    Mar 2004

cheap=Nashbar

Nashbar frequently has various ls jerseys on sale in the $20-$30 range, real riding jerseys with rear pockets. anything from thinner synthetics to real warm fleece ones.

it's smart to dress in layers you can adjust on the ride. like a ls jersey, with a vest over it, and a wind shell you can wear or stuff in the vest's back pocket.