Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whyte PRST-4?

19K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  leshark 
#1 ·
I want to learn more about these very cool bikes. I think I want one!

#3 ·
Best descriptor= linkage hell.
Think back to the old days of Girvin who became Noleen who became K2 and said enough is enough! My best recollection is that the systems worked well, but not better than your standard twin stanchion forks and when the bushings wore out they made a Chris King hub seem silent.

#11 ·
Preston!

Those things are collectors items now, four bar linkages at both ends, ah good times. The PRST1's were a bit on the noodly side, they tended to crack at the end of the swing arms. The PRST4 was great, don't know about Americaland but they sold solidly in the UK since they had decent mud clearance and came with Hope kit as standard. They were really nice to ride but I never owned one.

I see a few a year at events and trail centres, usually with a guy who'd sell his first born before he sold the bike...

#12 ·
Preston!

Those things are collectors items now, four bar linkages at both ends, ah good times. The PRST1's were a bit on the noodly side, they tended to crack at the end of the swing arms. The PRST4 was great, don't know abuot AMericaland but they sold solidly in the UK since they had decent mud clearance and came with Hope kit as standard. They were really nice to ride but I never owned one.

I see a few a year at events and trail centres, usually with a guy who'd sell his first born before he sold the bike...
Let me know if you ever see a 4 frame for sale.

#29 ·
I know the PRST-1's suffered from brake dive, did they sort that for the PRST-4's?
Other than that, they were certainly a distinctive bike, I doubt that there is much out there to rival it for looks (or lack of).

#30 ·
Following the earlier advice I got I have since posted mine last weekend on the classifieds section here on MTBR. The MTBR site said I don't have enough posts to include the link here but it got listed on DEC 18th. I too did a lot or road time and rail/trail with mine...hence the 1.5" slicks on mine in the pics!

#34 ·
Had a PRST1 for 2 years then bought the last PRST4 from the factory, I've been useing it for work for the past 3 years as a mountain bike Guide for Mountain Biking Holidays in Wales excellent bike, not particularly light (28lb) but rides extremely light, and yes with all those pivots its reliable! The front end is silky smooth, far less grief than any traditional forks even today, its limitations.... 4" travel front and back, and its not intended for jumping, it hugs the ground like a ferret, the only mod I have made is wider bars and ditching the crappy disposable Shimano brakes for Hope ones.
anyone want any info I'd be more than happy to oblige

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.