Results 1 to 62 of 62
  1. #1
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,124

    Why so much "Your doing it wrong!" ?

    OK not saying Im perfect, probably accidently done it a time or 2. Unintentionally but wording came across that way instead of "In my experience or opinion:"

    BUT WHY SO MUCH OF THIS "You must do it this way or you suck and arent worthy of riding" attitude from so many "riders" here? I work 2nd shifts and have kids so I spend a fair amount of time on MTBR at night, some during the day if weather doesnt permit me having 8mnth outside. And I read ALOT of posts with that kind of junk on it.

    "Clipless is always better, you suck if you ride flats"

    "My wheel size is better, you have to have it or your bikes not worthy"

    And the list could go on for days.

    And its not the "hey you should give this a try", its a "you are doing it wrong, do it "my" way".

    And people will sit and argue with the same obsession as these freaking MMORPG playing fools you see videos of that freak out and end up in a padded room for a few nights if someone tells them they arent always right.

    I wouldnt bother makings a discussion outta this if it was a handful of ppl here and there, but ffs I see it in about every thread. Gets old when Im still noobish and trying to learn something useful or check out new products etc and 80% of a thread is useless garbage. Again I am not perfect, I tend to argue sometimes. Not that Im right, just that these ppl arent always right either.

    I had to open this because of what I read here, but never experienced first hand locally (but have a couple times in St. Louis, partially because one trailset is right in the middle of a richy rich, more money than common sense or people skills type area) and except for people those types I just dont get it.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    55
    I sense you're speaking with reason and logic. Please cease and diciest as this is the internet and we cannot allow that sort of open mindedness.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Flamingtaco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,199
    You are right, trolling the trolls is the diciest of propositions.

  4. #4
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    26,956
    Because you are doing it wrong.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  5. #5
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,124
    LOL, dont get me going on reason and logic, thats usually where I inadvertently start arguments, using reason and logic.

    Reason and Logic = Intellegence
    What do those ppl/trolls = ?????

    Ok no more smart a** comments from me, trying to be kinda serious here.

    Just really cant comprehend all the hate....


    edit: LMAO'd at ^^^ "Your doing it wrong" Maybe im doing life wrong cause those types always seem to get where they sure as the heck shouldnt be and I end up working for them yet I do their job better. Not always but dealt with that a couple times hehe.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: gmats's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,002
    Agree, like "why do you want to do that" or "It's dumb to want that" or "Dumb to want to do that". or "JUST" do this or do that.........

  7. #7
    no batteries required
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,400
    You all suck at doing it wrong.

  8. #8
    mbtr member
    Reputation: scottzg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,359
    The 'reward' for posting on a forum is to get someone to reply to you. If you make bland, windy, well-reasoned comments you'll spend a lot of time and won't prompt anyone to react. Pointless.
    "Things that are complex are not useful, Things that are useful are simple."
    Mikhail Kalashnikov

  9. #9
    SS Pusher Man
    Reputation: mtnbikej's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Posts
    6,870
    Because it is my way.....or not at all.
    I resolve to constantly assert my honest opinion on anything and everything - whether it is requested or not.
    Bucky the Cat

  10. #10
    gone walk about
    Reputation: nvphatty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    9,541
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    You all suck at doing it wrong.
    especially @ being a sock huh?

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigfruits's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by Flucod View Post
    Why do you always think rich people with nice bikes cant ride well.
    he said rich people lacked people skills not bike skills.

    OP - i think the reason that youre getting these elitist replies is because you have the wrong size wheels.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    254

    Why so much "Your doing it wrong!" ?

    Because the average age of this forum is?

    And how many have the "I'm this shizzz, slamming my redbull/ monster mix concoction cause neither alone is good enough for me" while they ride a 12K bike at the park while living in their mothers basement...


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    DeForest Stump
    Reputation: Cobretti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    972
    "While I don't wish to harm your feelings, I believe your methodology is flawed. Gravely flawed."

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,011
    Just examine posts for the informational value. Even a single experience can be the correct answer apart from the obvious lack of other options investigated by some posters. In fact, you have to consider those replies because of the overwhelming diversity of mtbiking. No one has ridden everything in every condition. Just separate it from the language and give it some weight.

  15. #15
    Token Hillbilly
    Reputation: J. Fragera's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    712
    Because on the internet nobody can reach across a table and stomp their ass for being a incessant c**t?
    Trying to win hearts and minds, but willing to stomp them if necessary.

  16. #16
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,589
    You're doing "Your doing it wrong!" wrong.

    It's "You're doing it wrong!"

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    64
    It's because the internets are filled with people who can't help but be obnoxious even when they're trying not to be.

    For example, I recently read a thread started by some guy who was complaining about others not being civil, but in his original post he managed to gratuitously bash video gamers and everyone who lives in a wealthy neighborhood of St. Lois. True story.

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    2,232
    It's just plain boring if everyone is even-keeled and reasonable.
    Stick around if you're housebroken...

  19. #19
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,124
    Lmao. All I can say here. TRIED to be a bit serious to make a point get real discussion going.

    See the maturity of this thread just went down alot.

    Trolls will be trolls, but so far yet to see an actual (the guys cracking jokes aside as they belong here) troll that doesn't simply show their IQ and jock size are seriously lacking.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

  20. #20
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Fleas took my "smartass" answer.

    My "but seriously" answer is that it doesn't take long to get used to and completely ignore the people who tell you they know what's best for you. Then you can just glean the information you're looking for and ignore the self ego boosting.

    It's the internet and it appears that most people are champing at the bit to show how stupid they are while trying to show how smart they are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 70sSanO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    700
    I have loved doing it wrong... that is different, or better in my mind, as opposed to a bad job.

    And as you get older it is a heck of a lot more fun because the more people want to to impress you with their opinion the more I enjoy ignoring them.

    When my wife and I were first married her Mom gave advice all the time and it drove my wife crazy. I had no problem with it because I always told her that it was a good idea but then did what I wanted. I'm not sure when she realized that I had been ignoring her all these years but she knows that I'm just letting her talk. And we do get along quite well.

    John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Burt4x4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,668
    My wife reminds me dayly that I am doing "it" wrong ... for like 20 years now.

    So just like in marriage, here on the internet you must read with a filter. Just like the voice filter I use when EVER my wife speaks...

    KeyBoard TUff Guys are EVERYWERE not just here at MTBR = Click egnore and move on
    Ride MORE = Live Longer
    Love Dirt / Hate Pavement

  23. #23
    Five is right out
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,174
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    I wouldnt bother makings a discussion outta this if it was a handful of ppl here and there, but ffs I see it in about every thread. Gets old when Im still noobish and trying to learn something useful or check out new products etc and 80% of a thread is useless garbage. Again I am not perfect, I tend to argue sometimes. Not that Im right, just that these ppl arent always right either.
    Has Anyone Really Been Far Even as Decided to Use Even Go Want to do Look More Like?
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

  24. #24
    Ride Instigator
    Reputation: Ricko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,223
    I always say....there is more then one right way to do anything.

  25. #25
    Hell Track
    Reputation: crewjones's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    899
    Welcome to the World Wide Web

  26. #26
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,589
    Sorry, my last post wasn't terribly constructive...

    But think of internet responses statistically. For each post, there are various proportions of people who will respond constructively, condescendingly, knowledgeably, ignorantly,... some without even reading (or cursorily mis-reading) the OP. Of those people who respond, some had a bad day, some are drunk posting, some are intentionally trolling... and every once in awhile, the condescending and insensitive but still knowledgeable A-hole who is drunk because he had a bad day and then mis-read the OP because he's drunk is going post up a gem. It's completely random.

    I think the same thing happens mid-Winter around here when everyone is cabin crazy from not riding: The frequency and intensity of bickering seems to skyrocket.

    I was actually in a good mood yesterday when I sorta ripped a guy's video because it was just soooooo slow. I re-read it before I clicked "post" and decided to re-write the whole thing more as a film critic than a riding technique critic. One might be just as bad as the other (I can't tell), but it sounded constructive to me instead of like "You're doing it wrong!" Which leads back to the tone of a post often being very subjective depending on familiarity, custom, vernacular, sensitivities, etc.

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  27. #27
    Doesn't go too far enough
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2,256
    "All affirmations are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense." --Sri Syadasti

    All depends on your perspective.

  28. #28
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,359
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    OK not saying Im perfect, probably accidently done it a time or 2. Unintentionally but wording came across that way instead of "In my experience or opinion:"

    BUT WHY SO MUCH OF THIS "You must do it this way or you suck and arent worthy of riding" attitude from so many "riders" here? I work 2nd shifts and have kids so I spend a fair amount of time on MTBR at night, some during the day if weather doesnt permit me having 8mnth outside. And I read ALOT of posts with that kind of junk on it.

    "Clipless is always better, you suck if you ride flats"

    "My wheel size is better, you have to have it or your bikes not worthy"

    And the list could go on for days.

    And its not the "hey you should give this a try", its a "you are doing it wrong, do it "my" way".

    And people will sit and argue with the same obsession as these freaking MMORPG playing fools you see videos of that freak out and end up in a padded room for a few nights if someone tells them they arent always right.

    I wouldnt bother makings a discussion outta this if it was a handful of ppl here and there, but ffs I see it in about every thread. Gets old when Im still noobish and trying to learn something useful or check out new products etc and 80% of a thread is useless garbage. Again I am not perfect, I tend to argue sometimes. Not that Im right, just that these ppl arent always right either.

    I had to open this because of what I read here, but never experienced first hand locally (but have a couple times in St. Louis, partially because one trailset is right in the middle of a richy rich, more money than common sense or people skills type area) and except for people those types I just dont get it.
    You really scuk at this whole "posting on the internet" thing.

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: The BIG GT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You really scuk at this whole "posting on the internet" thing.
    Oh, the irony...


  30. #30
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    584
    I think you are all doing it wrong.

    Have any of you ever actually tried sitting down to pee?

  31. #31
    no batteries required
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,400
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    I think you are all doing it wrong. Have any of you ever actually tried sitting down to pee?
    Yeah but, I sat on my d!ck and shut off the flow.

  32. #32
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by tiretracks View Post
    Yeah but, I sat on my d!ck and shut off the flow.
    You sound clumsy.

  33. #33
    no batteries required
    Reputation: life behind bars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,400
    The girth makes it awkward.

  34. #34
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    584
    ...and, messy.

  35. #35
    I like turtles
    Reputation: TiGeo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    5,949
    Many of these arguments start with questions - "What wheel size should I try" or "How can I stop getting so many flats". Folks say "29er" or "tubeless" and inevitably, someone chimes in that hasn't used/tried whatever is being recommended and says "29ers suck" or "tubeless is too much of a hassle" and so it goes. Yes, I realize this isn't always the case, but it is a lot of the time.
    Geologist by trade...bicycle mechanic (former) by the grace of God!

    2012 Specialized Stumpy EVO 29 HT

  36. #36
    I have Flat Pedal shame.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    551
    This thread is totally Enduro.
    We don't ride to add days to our life, we ride to add life to the days we have left here.

  37. #37
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,124
    Quote Originally Posted by Thustlewhumber View Post
    This thread is totally Enduro.


    is there something wrong when first post I see today is this one and laugh cause my new bars, Control Tech Enduro 4x, came in and just got home from a ride trying out short stem/wider bars.



    Damn it mist be doing it wrong again!

    Ps: and yes I have pissed sitting down, too drunk to stand up.

  38. #38
    > /dev/null 2&>1
    Reputation: Procter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    3,729

    Re: Why so much "Your doing it wrong!" ?

    Fleas' grammar correction for the win.

    Tigris, sadly even meta-topics like this, have themselves, been discussed ad nauseum (if you hang around here long enough).

    But, pout not. . . even the ancient Greek philosophers observed that most of life is imitation.

  39. #39
    meh... whatever
    Reputation: monogod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    5,305
    Quote Originally Posted by Procter View Post
    Fleas' grammar correction for the win.
    with balto's taking a strong second.
    "Knowledge is good." ~ Emil Faber

  40. #40
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169

    Why so much "Your doing it wrong!" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by crewjones View Post
    Welcome to the World Wide Web
    Welcome to MTBR forums. Think of it as Many Tiresome Boastful Rants


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,965
    Everyone wants to feel special, have some status in the eyes of others. We do this in all sorts of ways, some of them not so good. Like assuming an unjustified attitude of superiority, or directly or indirectly running someone down. I've slowly learned over the years that trying make myself look good at the expense of someone else means I'm being a jerk. And he world doesn't need more jerks.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  42. #42
    Terrain Sculptor
    Reputation: Trail Ninja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    4,686
    Quote Originally Posted by Gasp4Air View Post
    Everyone wants to feel special, have some status in the eyes of others. We do this in all sorts of ways, some of them not so good. Like assuming an unjustified attitude of superiority, or directly or indirectly running someone down. I've slowly learned over the years that trying make myself look good at the expense of someone else means I'm being a jerk. And he world doesn't need more jerks.
    Don't be a jerk. Be alert. The world needs more lerts.
    Could use a few more loofs too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja's Son
    You may be happy to hear that my dad has kicked cancer's ass. Now he's looking for whoever sent it.

  43. #43
    Team Livemedium
    Reputation: bamwa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    992
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    You're doing "Your doing it wrong!" wrong.

    It's "You're doing it wrong!"

    -F
    I agree, this post sums it all up for me.
    AND it took only 17 posts to get there!
    Too funny
    Keep trying to do the awesomest thing you've ever done.

  44. #44
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,124
    This is just sad, I just caught that...Fleas got me there lol.

    Doing it wrong and too slow, damn im off this week.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

  45. #45
    Nice day for a ride..... Moderator
    Reputation: Bikin' Bric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    1,939
    Quote Originally Posted by turbodog View Post
    You really scuk at this whole "posting on the internet" thing.
    Look whos talking.
    Bikin' Bric's Bike Blog

    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fat Bike
    2016 RSD Catalyst 700+
    2016 RSD Sergeant

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    840
    On a serious note, mountain biking is a fairly misunderstood sport. Heck, most folks think of the cheap bike they see at walmart when you say "mountain bike". So I think most of us are spring-loaded to help people understand what is required to ride trails. Sometimes that bleeds over into other aspects. Or heck, sometimes we just like what we like and don't see it any other way (I can be like that on occasion).

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    584
    Face it, most people are much too lazy to think for themselves. Heaven forbid should they actually have to figure out what makes them happy. Luckily, such shortcomings are extremely profitable.

  48. #48
    dwt
    dwt is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dwt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    4,169

    Why so much "Your doing it wrong!" ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fleas View Post
    You're doing "Your doing it wrong!" wrong.

    It's "You're doing it wrong!"

    -F
    Here's a little grammar primer for those who flunked English in high school. Sorry moderators, couldn't help myself
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

  49. #49
    I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Reputation: Cayenne_Pepa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    6,319
    As with any male-dominated sport - you are gonna find lots of hypercritical, testosterone-slinging here. Man up, draw your sword....or stand down.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

  50. #50
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    584
    Quote Originally Posted by Zachariah View Post
    As with any male-dominated sport - you are gonna find lots of hypercritical, testosterone-slinging here. Man up, draw your sword....or stand down.
    You're not like the "other" guys, are you?




  51. #51
    Unpredictable
    Reputation: Ridnparadise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,105
    Tigris, some things have no answers, only questions. For example - If a man is talking and no woman is there to hear, does it make him right>>>>>>

  52. #52
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,124
    Depends on who you ask, a man or woman. For those of us that are married there is the obvious answer.

    Yes were right till our woman finds out lol.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    118
    There is a ton of need to be correct tools on this forum. setting the bait with a little disinfo usualy dus the trick!

  54. #54
    check your six
    Reputation: sodak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,181
    I'm the best at nothing, the worst at somethings, and fairly average at most things. Never put yourself so high on your pedestal that you can't hear the "good" advice of others, tune out all the rest.
    "We can always find excuses if we want to find them, but if we really want to do something, we have to just go."

  55. #55
    Professional Crastinator
    Reputation: Fleas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    4,589
    Yeah, this thread has run cold already, but when I saw this I thought of you.
    Why so much "Your doing it wrong!" ?-lolcaption-demotivationals-riding-youre-doin-wrong.jpg

    -F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

  56. #56
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,124
    Wrong is in the eyes of the beholder on that one, she seems to be enjoying herself.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

  57. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Gasp4Air's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Wrong is in the eyes of the beholder on that one, she seems to be enjoying herself.
    The horse seems happy as well.
    Use it, use it, use it while you still have it.

  58. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    960
    I've only read to the 12th post in this topic, but decided to reply before reading on. This is just too funny for words. I just hope it remains as entertaining.

  59. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Tres Bottelas View Post
    I think you are all doing it wrong.

    Have any of you ever actually tried sitting down to pee?
    Yes. My right hand and wrist were in a cast and using my left just was not getting the job done. Then, when my right leg was in a cast and I could not stand.

    ... I should not be on a MTB.

  60. #60
    RAKC
    Reputation: tigris99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    7,124
    Make sure to check fleas posts, he's keeping me on my toes.
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Light "click" or "snap" or "clunk" when pressing down hard on pedals
    By VFXterra in forum Drivetrain - shifters, derailleurs, cranks
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-17-2015, 07:37 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM
  3. New "standards" - what is wrong with us???
    By mnigro in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 12-21-2013, 06:39 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2013, 04:38 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 11:26 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •