Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why so many hard tails?

When I first started riding I owned a hard tail, it was a great bike but I knew I wanted to buy a full suspension, everything I always read about them seemed like they were head over heels better than a HT.

The thing is, I never see anyone in my area riding on a full suspension bike, except me.

Is it a weight thing? or are they to much money to get a decent one?

Sometime I wonder if I should of just bought a $2400 HT over my Camber.

mtbr member

Re: Why so many hard tails?

Weight, less maintenance, climbing efficiency (on some trails) and most importantly: cost.

I'm considering buying a fs frame and swapping over the parts from my hardtail, those are the considerations holding me back

mtbr member
    they must not feel like they need a FS to ride your trails.

cost is a biggie. terrain is another big factor. Where I live, most of the terrain doesn't warrant a FS if you only ever ride locally. Serious enthusiasts I know commonly ride FS, in part because they often travel to ride on more chunky terrain.

I have ridden a FS for 11+yrs, and going to buy my 2nd FS bike this fall. I travel to ride my bike, I like that the extra cush keeps me fresher for longer rides, and I'm serious/enthusiastic enough about it that it's what most of my disposable income goes towards.

I will be transferring the parts from my current FS onto a HT frame, though, because sometimes I'm going to want something lighter and more responsive than the FS. and so I have a 2nd bike when one is down for maintenance/service.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Another good reason is because riders are bored and they can get more of a challenge bringing a hard tail. I switch from full suss and ht all the time on my trails and it definitely made me a much better rider. I know some crazy dude in my area that plows through rock garden with his ht. talk about talent....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    My carbon ht has rear compliance to soften rocks but retain trail feel. That's more fun. Lighter. Cheaper to buy and much simpler to maintain after the first year. Add wide rims and lower pressure more tire volume...no need for rear suspension on many trails now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Also, hardtail 29ers are a bit more stable than 26 HT which are almost dead now (for XC at least) so back then when there were no 29ers, in order to add stability to a ride, people would choose a full sus whereas now, for basic XC riding you don't necessarily need any thing more than big wheels. I love my two 26ers, HT and FS

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For most of the trails in my area, FS is overkill. For that matter, most trails around here are great rigid. However, I would say most riders I see on the trail are running FS.

Hooligan
    I fall into the 'keeping it interesting'/'adding a challenge' category. i have a FS bike, but in order to make my (casual paced) group rides more fun and challenging, i have been riding mostly ss and ridgid bikes this year. i need to put in more effort into the ride, and therefore when the ride is over i feel like i feel like i did a lot more than i actually have. it levels the playing field, so to speak.
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelscott View Post
    Buy used, be happy with what you got, ride more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    i cant afford a FS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by igno-mtb View Post
    Also, hardtail 29ers are a bit more stable than 26 HT which are almost dead now (for XC at least) so back then when there were no 29ers, in order to add stability to a ride, people would choose a full sus whereas now, for basic XC riding you don't necessarily need any thing more than big wheels. I love my two 26ers, HT and FS
    Here we go 26 are nowhere near dead . 29 are soon to be stopped being made . Keep.up with the news if you can .

mtbr member
    Any of you that are bored with your FS and want to "challenge" yourselves with an HT, I'm willing to trade

mtbr member

Re: Why so many hard tails?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtdawg21892 View Post
    I fall into the 'keeping it interesting'/'adding a challenge' category. i have a FS bike, but in order to make my (casual paced) group rides more fun and challenging, i have been riding mostly ss and ridgid bikes this year. i need to put in more effort into the ride, and therefore when the ride is over i feel like i feel like i did a lot more than i actually have. it levels the playing field, so to speak.
    The same goes for me. I've barely had my FS out this year except for when I've traveled to Syllamo and a few other hilly areas. Other wise it's been rigid and SS. It's given me a new take on my local trails.

AKA Frank N. Bike!!
    For me a FS bike is useless. I weigh too much to make use of the rear suspension on a XC FS setup. All of my weight holds the shock down so far it makes the bike into a HT.
    My Bike: '03 Specialized HardRock FrankenBike
    My Blog: http://http://kona0197.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Poor people are poor. If I could afford a FS bike, I would buy one in a heartbeat. I like riding a hardtail too, but I rode a rigid single-speed for many years because that's all I could afford. now it's set up 1x9 with a decent suspension fork, but that took me years to buy the parts to make it that way.

Born With A Tail
    Maintenance is also a factor. Stuff always broke on my FS and I prefer to fix my bike myself. Also, I'm old and got no problem walking down something that's too much for me, though most can be done by a talented rider on a hardtail. The dude at the shop told me I had "Full-suspension courage" when I brought my broken frame in, after two broken swingarms as well. But this was 15 years ago and things are probably more durable now, but way too pricey. I don't ride the gnar too much anymore and my 26" HT can get me through any ride I do, though slower and with more walking.
    I remember thinking it was funny back when there were riders who had never ridden rigid, now there are probably more who have never even been on a HT, much less a 26" rigid or HT.
    Tequila tonight, tomorrow we ride!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply's , a few guys I know do a lot of racing, and when I asked why dont they use FS they said they dont like it because they bounce and to much, I asked when was the last time they rode a FS he told me a few years back, im pretty sure they have changed a lot since then. Anyway he rides a full carbon trek and put on a Cane Creek Thudbuster seat post. He told me it works really well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I ride my Chromag Stylus everywhere. What you need and what you want are two different things. There are very few sections I have trouble with on my hard tail. That being said, long days in the saddle can start to suck. Looking to add a FS to the family so I have something to mix it up with.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazee horse View Post
    Here we go 26 are nowhere near dead . 29 are soon to be stopped being made . Keep.up with the news if you can .
    Get a grip, guy. He said "for XC" which is almost gospel.

Point me towards a new 26" xc bike, por favor.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I just hot a HT 26 carbon and while I have a DH and an FS XC I rode the HT at Deer Valley UT DH lift served, I liked it and I am a novice. Part is tubeless and wider rims and tires I am sure.
    08 Rush Lefty, hand built flow XTR rims, Sram X9 rear d, Pushed RP 23 , 07 Ventana Cuervo, Trek 9.8 Icetech brakes.

Oh, the huge-meh-nity
    Aug 2013
    From the title I was going to say "Because people are afraid of rigids".

I have an FS frame hanging in my closet. Didn't make riding more fun for me, unfortunately.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I would say a lot of it is cost. A decent FS starts with an MSRP approaching 3k. Meanwhile for half that you can get a decent HT. Also not all trails benefit from a FS bike. It really depends where you ride.

mtbr member
    For most mortals a quality FS is out of reach so the HT is the way to go.

Would love to hard a FS again but there's no way to afford it.

Warrior's Society
    Has nothing to do with cost.....

I just enjoy it more. Have a Tallboy 2 Carbon that spends 95% of the time hanging on the wall while I ride my Highball Al SS.

Used to be that the Tallboy was for ridden when the trails were really techy....but more and more I find myself taking the Highball on all the rides....regardless.

Still fun to chase down and pass guys on 5-6" travel bikes going DH on the SS.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I think most people around here have f.s. I have both, although there's nothing that I won't ride on the hardtail, the f.s. is faster on the knarly downhills and more comfortable on extended rides. I took a trip to Sun River / Bend last summer, trails were super smooth, I was the only f.s. I saw all trip. I probably rode the fully rigid pulling my daughter on her tag-along more than the f.s. with no issues.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast