mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Why is my bike making creaking/clicking sounds?

I have a Trek 6000 and when I put my feet on the pedals, it usually makes a clicking sound. It's not as noticeable when my feet are just resting on the pedals, but as soon as I begin to pedal, it begins to make a faint clicking sound.

Any idea what it could be? It doesn't really make the noise when I pedal it by hand.

local trails rider
    Does it make the sound when you are pedaling out of the saddle?

swerven so u kno im bent
    it could be eather the bearings in the pedals or, how the derauler is adjusted...i would think most likely the derauler clicking sound sounds like the chain is clicking off the sprocket and one of the gears on the derauler. or that its trying to shift when in a set gear.. try adjusting the high and low screw settings on the derauler i would think that would help.

Gravity Tester
    That's hard if not impossible to diagnose over the net. Typical "creak" culprits are loose bottom bracket components, saddle flex or loose seat clamp bolts, pedal bearings going out, or loose, or in some tragic cases a cracked frame.

"Clicks" can be caused by some of the same things, but now factor in drivetrain issues as well, mis adjusted der., chainring damage, tight spot in the chain, etc.

The best thing is to methodically work through possible causes. Like a poster above asked, does it occur while seated or standing? That can help rule out saddle or seat post causes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    It happens when there's weight on the pedals. The noise is still there if I stand and pedal so I doubt its seat post related. From what I can tell, the noise is definately coming from the pedals, crank arm area.

It doesn't sound like a chain bagging on the deraillure.

Thx for the tips... I just dont know what's in/around the pedal area that could be making this sound.

mtbr member
    As mentioned above it could be a number of things. One easy one to check is to make sure the pedals are nice and tight. I had an annoying clicking type of noise when pedaling that turned out to be slightly loose pedals one time. When I snugged them up with a wrench the noise went away.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    my 1st guess would be either the pedals, bottom bracket, or chainring bolts.
    I'd start by tightening the chainring bolts and cranks, then swapping out the pedals (assuming you have another pair). If it still clicks and especially if the click occurs at the same crank position in each revolution, it is likely the bottom bracket.
    However, there are a whole bunch of oddball things that can create creaks, squeaks, and clicks on a bike, so we're all just guessing here.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tygger
    From what I can tell, the noise is definately coming from the pedals, crank arm area.
    As noted by several other posters, it could be many things, but assuming that the noise is coming from the location where you think it is, that would narrow the problem down to the pedal bearings and the pedal/crank interface. It's easy to check the latter by removing the pedals, regreasing the threads, and then reinstalling the pedals. If the creak goes away, that was the problem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have the same problem. My noise seems to be coming from the bottom bracket.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by titanmax
    I have the same problem. My noise seems to be coming from the bottom bracket.
    It can be really difficult to tell since the frame is an excellent conductor of sound. Also, it can be sometimes difficult to reproduce the noise when you have the bike in the stand.

So, again, assuming that the noise is coming from where you think it is, I'd check take the crank / BB spindle interface, the BB / frame interface, and the BB bearings. Do this by removing the bottom bracket from the frame and listen to / feel the smoothness of the bearings. If all seems well there, reassemble the bottom bracket into the frame using grease (and possibly even teflon plumber's tape) on the BB cup threads and torque to the manufacturer's specification. Reassemble the cranks to the BB using grease on those interfaces and threads too. Again, torque the fasteners (using a torque wrench) to the manufacturer's specifications.

If the noise still persists after doing these things, you'll need to start checking elsewhere. There've been a few times when I've torn apart the BB (as described above) and have checked the pedals, chain ring bolts, and suspension pivot points only to find that the creak was coming from the interface between the seat rails and seat post. (A strip of teflon plumber's tape at that interface has worked wonders.)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Intense tracer making creaking noises

My 2001 Intense tracer also on occasion makes creaking noises when I pedal hard from the saddle, if I stand no noise, when I sit down I hear creaking, it sounds like the it might be the saddle or the post, but I think it might be the fsr triangle, no sure but might have crack which happened to my 1999 tracer...

Ari Dubov

mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    It's your bottom bracket and I can't say I'm surprised.

Trek skips in this area like no other company.
    They would rather spend the money on items they can market better all the while sacrificing other less talked about area's like the bottom bracket.

For this reason I will no longer buy a trek cause its going to be a given the BB and cranks will need to be replaced in no time.

Hopefully yours just needs to be taken apart and cleaned.
    Trek 4300 2006
    M580 LX cranks
    11-34T Cassette
    Kool-stop pads
    El Notre 7075 Seatpost
    Laser V saddle

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tygger
    I have a Trek 6000 and when I put my feet on the pedals, it usually makes a clicking sound.
    Mine does too. Ever since I switched from platforms to clipless pedals.

But on a serious note, how often is it occurring? If it's once per revolution, it's obviously a rotating object such as a BB or cranket. If it's only occurring during coasting, it could be something related to a hub/brake.

Life is Good
    Quote Originally Posted by KevinB
    It can be really difficult to tell since the frame is an excellent conductor of sound. Also, it can be sometimes difficult to reproduce the noise when you have the bike in the stand.

So, again, assuming that the noise is coming from where you think it is, I'd check take the crank / BB spindle interface, the BB / frame interface, and the BB bearings. Do this by removing the bottom bracket from the frame and listen to / feel the smoothness of the bearings. If all seems well there, reassemble the bottom bracket into the frame using grease (and possibly even teflon plumber's tape) on the BB cup threads and torque to the manufacturer's specification. Reassemble the cranks to the BB using grease on those interfaces and threads too. Again, torque the fasteners (using a torque wrench) to the manufacturer's specifications.

If the noise still persists after doing these things, you'll need to start checking elsewhere. There've been a few times when I've torn apart the BB (as described above) and have checked the pedals, chain ring bolts, and suspension pivot points only to find that the creak was coming from the interface between the seat rails and seat post. (A strip of teflon plumber's tape at that interface has worked wonders.)
    I agree. I had a weird click/creak in my bike for a while and it took me forever to figure out what it was. I ended up replacing my bottom bracket/crank and it solved it, so I assume it was just worn out and/or loose. Look closely at the BB/cranks and I think you'll find your problem
    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live. ~Mark Twain

mtbr member
    If it is a 3 piece crank pull the crank arms and grease the hell out of where the spindle and the crank fit together. Manufacturers require this step. Tighten the crank bolts to proper torque. I had clicking/creaking from my bike too. Once I did this it never did it again.
    I almost replaced the BB but it wasn't the problem.