Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why are MTBers so Obsessed with Trail Width ??

The statement I hear so many times goes something like this.

" Yes the areas in Northern Arizona have breathtaking red rock scenery, but the region is all jeep roads. Dang, guess I can't ride that area "

Here in Arizona we have a lot of public land to ride on dirt. I mean a tremendous amount. Yes it's true we have a good amount of single track but we also have a lot more dirt jeep roads.... I would say almost all of the riders I know are allergic to riding on them...

I can fully understand avoiding areas that are frequented by a lot of vehicle/atv traffic... But that is mostly not the case, In fact you'll have more issues on our single track with dogs and hikers more so that you would with vehicles on jeep roads...

I should point out that I have been an avid mountain biker since 1992 and I have never cared about trail width... I have has some of my best riding experiences on jeep roads... And it opens up my riding possibilities almost 10 fold...

Somone explain to me the obsession with needing to have a narrow trail...
    fat old man ... fueled by Mexican pastries....

AZ
    banned
    Its better than sharing 6 foot wide sidewalks with stupid equestrians and their even dumber 1,200 pound pets. Next.

mtbr member

Tight twisty narrow single track is fun to ride. More fun than trails that are not so. This seems obvious to me.

SPP
    Rigid.

Ride Instigator
    Narrow trails are more fun to ride, it feels like you're going faster.

banned
    Aug 2012
    I love jeep trails.

mtbr member
    I like roads to get me places quickly. But for the riding experience, riding(or hiking) a nice singletrack is just better IMHO.

"Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Though your "jeep" roads may be more entertaining by comparison, our forest service roads are totally boring compared to single track. If I had a CX bike, then maybe.

mtbr member
    Dirt roads are generally flat and straight and anyone who can ride a bike can ride them. Not much challenge there. Tight twisty singletrack with banked turns and small berms are a hoot. Technical trails with rock or log features are a fun challenge.

Next time you go out, ride as fast as you can on a dirt road. Then find some twisty ST and ride as fast as you can. Your speed on the road will likely be limited by your fitness level(BORING). You speed on the trail will be limited by your technique and fitness(A lot more fun).

Another factor for me is exposure. I would much rather be under the canopy on ST then in the open on a road. Some roads do have cover but not like woodsey ST.

No problem if you do not get it. I will always seek out ST but I will also ride dirt roads over paved roads any day if ST is not available.

BTW, if you prefer the dirt road, you may be a closet roadie

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    BTW, if you prefer the dirt road, you may be a closet roadie
    I do road bike... I am more into the fitness and outdoors aspect of riding bikes than the adrenaline...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbAZ44 View Post
    I do road bike... I am more into the fitness and outdoors aspect of riding bikes than the adrenaline...
    I used to road bike back in college. My roommate was an aspiring pro and I would go on training rides with him(I always drafted off him). When I got into mountain biking he also bought a bike. All he wanted to do was ride the dirt roads and go fast. I liked the technical aspect better. This was back in the 80s when there was no such thing as a mountain bike trail.

He would kick my butt on the dirt roads and I would kick his butt on the trails.

mtbr member
    Answer to most questions on MTBR:

Different people like riding different bikes, with different styles, in different area, on different trails, for different reasons.

/thread

mtbr member
    I do get why persons prefer singletrack... What I don't get is why there is such a high percentage of bikers that really hate riding wide trails..

It kinda sucks when nobody wants to ride with you because there is no single track mixed in.... Believe me, there is plenty of challenge on these rides... They are typically 30+ miles with lots of climbing...

You know it really doesnt matter... whatever makes folks happy is what they should be doing...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricko View Post
    Narrow trails are more fun to ride, it feels like you're going faster.
    I like them too because when you crash, you always hit a tree, rock, or go into a ditch
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I do get why persons prefer singletrack... What I don't get is why there is such a high percentage of bikers that really hate riding wide trails..

It kinda sucks when nobody wants to ride with you because there is no single track mixed in.... Believe me, there is plenty of challenge on these rides... They are typically 30+ miles with lots of climbing...

You know it really doesnt matter... whatever makes folks happy is what they should be doing...
    It's not always about the challenge, it's the fun. Many of us will ride 30+ miles to get to 5 miles of killer single track
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by likeaboss View Post
    This was back in the 80s when there was no such thing as a mountain bike trail.
    ??? Where are you from? I'm still riding many of the trails I rode in the 80's.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

fresh fish in stock...... SuperModerator

look at that - answered your own question
    Visit these 2 places to help advance trail access:
    http://www.sharingthepct.org/
    http://www.facebook.com/SharingThePct

banned
    Jan 2013
    Lets see....

vs

Hrmmmmm.... gona have to go with the first one. To each his/her own.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwt View Post
    ??? Where are you from? I'm still riding many of the trails I rode in the 80's.
    My point is that there were no trails designated as mountain bike trails. We had to fight to use multi-purpose trails. No one was building trails designed only for mountain bikes.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by moefosho View Post
    Answer to most questions on MTBR:

Different people like riding different bikes, with different styles, in different area, on different trails, for different reasons.

/thread
    Wait, so since you've just answered every single thread that was ever started here, what are we supposed to do now? Did we finish MTBR?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Elitest thrill junkie
    As has been said many times over in this thread, wide trails generally accommodate vehicles, which means they are generally flatter, have less turns, less obstacles, less fun features. This is nearly always the case, but of course there are exceptions. You also get a lot more mileage and bang for the buck out of singletrack, whereas a wide road doesn't curve and bend around every large rock outcropping or tree, it simply levels them and goes on straight. There are also those of us that go mountain biking to "get away" from it all, which again means singletrack, due to vehicles and the limits of roadmaking on wider trails and roads.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Shuttles R 4 Pussies

It depends a lot on the quality of the fire roads in your area

This is a popular fire road ride around here... about 30 miles and over 3,000 feet elevation gain. I have no issue riding this a number of times over a season. It's a great fitness training ride with incredible views.

Why are MTBers so Obsessed with Trail Width ??-elbow-loop.jpg
    Screw the shuttle, I'm riding to the top. You're all worthless and weak!!!

mtbr member
    Single track is like cuddling with mother nature.

Wide tracks tend to have horse and dog poo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    This discussion persuades me that I prefer wider trails. I suppose I'll ride ST when I must. I'll do the technical stuff in order to ride my ride, but I won't actively seek it out, except for practice.

T.W.O.
    I think about what to do less and just do it with narrower trail. Some time it's not about being fast on the trail, it's about being on the trail. On the bad day I'd freaked out half the time, oh well This my nemesis, I just love it.

Ride Instigator
    Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg View Post
    I like them too because when you crash, you always hit a tree, rock, or go into a ditch
    Yes....and that's another good point. Skinny trails are more challenging because there's less margin for error....this makes 'em funner to ride.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast