mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Why I Love My Deuter Backpacks

Through the years I have tried a number of backpacks and keep going back to Deuter for not only comfort on the trail but for design and durability as well. I have actually managed to accumulate three sizes, Small (Hydro Lite 3.0), Medium (Race X Air II) and large (Futura 28C). I use the Small when I don't need to carry a lot and switch to the Medium when I do. The Large is mostly reserved for Bikepacking trips and for some of the hunting I do.

Here are some of the features I like.

1. Due to its extremely light weight, the Hydrolite 3.0 doesn't have it, but the other two have a mesh panel that suspends tthe body of the back out and about two inches away from my back (Deuter calls it the The Aircomfort Back System). I sweat a lot on the trail and the space allows air to flow between the pack and my back, making it cooler to wear, especially during hot weather.

2. The two larger packs also have a pull-out waterproof rain cover. When pulled out of its small zippered compartment, it covers the back, sides, top and bottom of the pack well enough to keep everything inside dry when I get caught in the rain or when it is snowing.

3. The Deuter water bladders are 3-liter and interchange among the three packs I have. The mouth extends all the way across the top and is large enough for entry of my hand for cleaning and drying out the interior of the bladder with a paper towel after a ride. An extra-cost option I also have is called a Thermo Bag and it prevents water in the bladder from freezing during cold weather. It comes with a wraparound insulator that prevents water from freezing in the suction tube as well. The Thermo Bag is equally useful during summer.; After dumping a glass of ice cubes into the bladder I top it off with cold water from the fridge and it stays cold all day long, even at 100-degree temps.;

4. Mesh pockets on both sides (and near the bottom) of the two larger bags are easy to reach without removing the pack and are perfect for stowing items like map and snacks. I carry a small camera in one and my cell phone in the other, both in small zip-lock bags.

5. Some models also have a stowaway helmet cover.

6. Their warranty is quite good. After I had used the larger pack for about six years, one of its zippers started giving problems. I returned the pack to Deuter in Colorado and they replaced the zipper at no charge.

If by now you are thinkng I work for Deuter or sell Deuter Gear or get discounted prices on Deuter gear, the answers to all three are (unfortunately) no. I paid full retail for mine at a local backpacking shop. I went to the trouble of filing this report simply because I like their backpacks enough to believe other mountain-bikers should know about them as well.

For more information go the following website http://www.deuterusa.com/
    Last edited by stumpbumper; 01-30-2011 at 05:05 PM.

mtbr member
    I really like mine too.
    08 Trance X
    09 Cannondale Caad 9-5
    10 Glory

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm really surprised these packs are not more poular. Living in AZ 'swamp back' has always been an issue and Deuter has pretty much taken care of that with the Aircomfort. I own two Deuter packs and cannot imagine getting aonther brand any time soon.

Underskilled
    My wife likes hers too, I would like it too if she let me borrow it more.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Village Dirtbag
    Deuter is great. Vaude is the best though- just hard to find in the US. I have the Vaude Bike Alpin 25+5. It's the most cleverly configured and well though out pack I've ever seen, and fairly light and durable, too. It also has the mesh back.

g3h6o3
    I got the Futura 28 and I only use it when riding when I need a lot of stuff. Best backapck ever. It's a bit worn but I got it repaired instead of buying a new one. Good to go for another 5 years easily!
    Check out my SportTracks plugins for some training aid software.

Truly Doneski
    Sep 2009
    I personally swear by North Face packs. Lots of choices, all of which have great features. Very very durable. I've got a Recon with tons of biking and hiking miles and a larger technical pack for hiking that's very comfortable as well.
    Originally Posted by Bmateo1:
    Joyous Day in Woods
    Thoughtless Jackwagon, piss near
    Chudzpah, Passion Lost

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Have both Vaude and Deuter packs, best suspensions.
    SALE at Department of Goods Vaude Hyper Air 14+3 Liter packs for $37.58 and
    Splash Air 20+3 Liter for $40.74, both 69% off!
    North Face are fine but lack the suspensions so are hotter to use in summer.
    My first 10 Liter Vaude has 10+ years of abuse and only the zipper is worn, Hyper Air is just the right size for summer.
    The air suspension RULES here in the desert.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    I just bought a Deuter at my local LBS and I got home and there was no water containter pack in it. Do you have to buy these separately? It's cool if you do. I'm new to the whole hydrapack thing and don't have a clue.
    Thanks,

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by fell_brook
    I just bought a Deuter at my local LBS and I got home and there was no water containter pack in it. Do you have to buy these separately? It's cool if you do. I'm new to the whole hydrapack thing and don't have a clue.
    Thanks,
    I have Deuter hydration packs of three different sizes and each came with its own water bladder. They classify their product in two different categories, standard backpacks and "hydration" packs. If yours is the latter it should have come with a 2.0 or 3.0 liter hydration bladder or streamer reservoir as they call it.

They sell the bladders alone but if you go to their website below and click on one of the hydration packs you will see that it comes with a bladder.

http://deuteroutdoor.com/?gclid=COHq...FY9l7Aod3Q-lGw

Your bike is incorrigible
    I used my Deuter for about a year until I needed something bigger, so I went to a Dakine. However, I still use the bladder. Best design there is.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Vaude backpacks on SALE at Deparrtment of Goods 69% off. They have a similar suspension to the Deuters. 14+3 liter Hyper Air for $37.58 and 20+3 liter Splash Air for $40.74. Great deal. These have a zipper making the storage compartment expandable.
    A Camelbak Mule is about a 13 liter pack.
    agmtb

mtbr member
    Just got my Deuter recently and really like it. The only thing I didn't figure out yet is the pipe connection to the bladder. Does it have quick release or not? I can force the tube out of the connector, but what about quick release? My dakine had one.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot
    Just got my Deuter recently and really like it. The only thing I didn't figure out yet is the pipe connection to the bladder. Does it have quick release or not? I can force the tube out of the connector, but what about quick release? My dakine had one.
    No quick release on mine but I am curious, why would you need one?

Class Clown
    yeah they rock

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumper
    No quick release on mine but I am curious, why would you need one?
    It's easier to take it out of the backpack and wash/fill with water.
    Once, though, o-ring on my QR dakine gave up and I had nice waterfall down my pants without even noticing it during the ride)

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticrobot
    It's easier to take it out of the backpack and wash/fill with water.
    Once, though, o-ring on my QR dakine gave up and I had nice waterfall down my pants without even noticing it during the ride)

Never thought about that but I do know a quick-release can be easily added to the tube. I do some "bike"packing and wanted to be able to stop at a stream, quick-connect the outlet hose of my water filter to the hose of the hydration bladder and pump away without removing the bladder from the backpack.

At a local backpacking shop I bought a quick-release kit ($5) and installed it in the tube of the bladder. But I installed the one on mine out near the bite valve which is a convenient place to have it for use of the filter. You could do the same but install it back where the tube connects to the bladder if that's where your prefer.

If you do that make sure the quick-connect kit you buy is the correct size for the Deuter tube as it is is a bit larger in diameter than on some of the other brands of hydration bladders.