Dirt Eating
    Mar 2014

Why are Headsets soo Expensive?

I have a question. Why is it, that although a headset is one of the smallest pieces to a bike, it's Also one of the more expensive parts? I bought a Superlight 3.3 to build up and became frustrated at the fact that a headset was 59$ for a decent one. I understand that a headset is also one of the more vital pieces of the puzzle, but still it's so .

mtbr member
    Really?
    IMHO, not that expensive and an absolutely integral part.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    headsets take all the bump abuse, they need to be correctly engineered to last, especially with mtb. road bikes, not as much

59 bucks ? what was it made of, paper ?

you should pay $150, once. Chris King headsets. period. end of discussion.

the 10 year warranty on them is worthless,
    because they last far longer than that

ALL my bikes have had one headset installed. King.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Yeah, pretty cheap for a part that is fairly close tolerance, takes a fair amount of abuse and some of them even look good at the same time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    headsets take all the bump abuse, they need to be correctly engineered to last, especially with mtb. road bikes, not as much

59 bucks ? what was it made of, paper ?

because they last far longer than that

ALL my bikes have had one headset installed. King.
    Better yet, get a Cane Creek 110.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Here is a perfectly serviceable headset for under $20:

Ritchey Logic V2 Headset 2015 | Chain Reaction Cycles
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Way nicer than the one I posted!!
    29er = Hybrid Bike.

Priceless TGR comments on MTBR Rep system... http://goo.gl/5ayA2F Rep away!!!

Front Range, Colorado
    OP you should be asking why spokes are so cheap. Without them no bike would be rideable.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Ohh Gnarly!!
    Quote Originally Posted by DIRTJUNKIE View Post
    OP you should be asking why spokes are so cheap. Without them no bike would be rideable.
    Nipples are even cheaper!

Trail Noob
    Honestly, I think it comes down to how you abuse your bike and how well you maintain it, as in cleaning it after messy rides. I have a bike from 2006, which I bought from the original owner after he had it for 6 years. The same OEM Aheadset is still in it to this day. It still rides, i haven't started hearing any grinding.

To err on the side of caution, I just ordered an FSA Pig headset to replace it. No, it doesn't have sealed bearings or any of that jazz, but it will function for what I need it to do. I don't ride DH or gravity or anything extreme.

Go with what you need, what you can afford and base it on your riding style and intended purpose of the bike.

Oh, and because my headset is not a sealed bearing, i pull off the top cap and handle bars and clean/regrease the bearings and racers every so often.

Front Range, Colorado
    I ride the crap out of my bike. And I've been using the same Chris King headset since 2002'.
    ----------- __o
    --------- _`\<,_
    BRAAP(>)/ (*)
    ************^^^^^^Rock Garden
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqpcBpSsj1A

Dirt Eating
    Mar 2014
    Man I like your reply the best.

Well I have a Santa Cruz Superlight 3.3 and I bought this Headset-
    What do you think?

FSA Gravity SX Tapered Headset | FSA | Brand | www.PricePoint.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Nubster View Post
    Better yet, get a Cane Creek 110.
    nope, I will stick with king. of my bikes, I have two bikes 15 years old, both with original King headset I have never needed to touch. each bike has over 30,000 miles on that headset. not notchy, gritty, wobbly...just 100 perfect as though brand new.

There are many good headsets, but King is absolutely proven over extremely long times and large miles.

mtbr member
    Better question, why are stems so expensive. Or seat posts. Or platform pedals. Or handlebars.....

mtbr member
    I will 2nd the 110, it's nice. 110 year warranty from the originators of the threadless aheadset.
    No fuss with the MUSS

Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I will 2nd the 110, it's nice. 110 year warranty from the originators of the threadless aheadset.
    I put a 110 on my commuter build last year. I "cheaped out" and put a 40 on my mtb, and it's a pretty nice one, too. Mechs recommended it as a great value. "Almost" as good as a 110, but for a lot less.

But to the OP, you can get a headset for almost as cheap as you're willing to go. Just depends on how tight the engineering tolerances and how well sealed it is.

mtbr member
    Nothin wrong with the 40, wife has a silver one on her Rawland. I also have an S3 ( the old 40) on my MUSS.
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    The 40 will take the same bearing or has the same bearing, I can't remember, as the 110. I'd go for the 40 anytime of the week but I just had to have some bling on my bikes and the 40 isn't bling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycle151 View Post
    Friggin' coward. Give me a red chiclet instead of debating like a man. You don't deserve your green blocks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 127.0.0.1 View Post
    headsets take all the bump abuse, they need to be correctly engineered to last, especially with mtb. road bikes, not as much.
    because they last far longer than that.
    LOL! I was about to post the same thing... about the Token TK667N headset!

A ball-type bearing is the wrong application for a headset. This was figured out decades ago in the motorcycle industry. The bicycle suppliers have kept trying to make ball-bearing headsets work, increasing the stem diameter to 1 1/4" (to fit more and/or larger balls), and increasing it again to 1.5", and building bigger, beefier, and heavier headsets.

Needle bearings have a much higher load-carrying capability than ball-bearings, and are much lighter than the tapered roller bearings that the motorcycle OEMs migrated to.

Miche Primato;
    Universal Cycles -- Miche Primato Headsets

…and Stronglight;
    BikePro.com / Buyer's Guide / Stronglight Headsets - Bicycle Parts at discount prices / the Buyer's Guide / Bicycle Parts at their finest! / Professional Bicycle Source / Bike Pro

…employ needle bearings for an elegant solution on bicycle headsets. These vintage headsets are held in high regard for their indestructibility.

Token is the only manufacturer I could find that produces a modern needle-bearing headset. I have their TK667N headset on two bikes, and like the Stronglight I ran on a rigid MTB for years, I expect them to be the last headset those frames will ever need.

The OP was lamenting the price of a headset. The price of the Token?
    $23.00 (before shipping) from Tufo North America.

Weight? 100g (measured with cap & screw). Compare that to any ball-bearing headset.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Everyone complains about any part of a bike that they expensive, but coming from a manufacturers standpoint, other factors that you factor in are, profits, marketing, liability, material and labor cost, etc. When a manufacturer sells their products to a distributor/ retailer, its the manufacturer that takes the smallest margin, kinda sucks since we carry the liability and front the costs.

So on that $59 headset, after everything is said a done, the manufacturer only see's about $15 of that $59, before the costs are figured in. As the old saying goes, "if you want to make a million in the bike industry, start with 2 million" rings true.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    King is way overrated and overpriced. Cane Creek and FSA is better bang IMHO...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"