Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425 LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,300 of 2423
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mbmb65 View Post
    This is available as well.
    I just destroyed your theory and thatís all you got?

Btw. You can add e roller skates to the list of things you said would never see a motor. Hehe

One ring to mash them all
    lol, "Excellent Source of Sparkles"
    "'Suck the mushroom' is the new 'drink the kool-aid'"
    ó Anonymous

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by ALimon View Post
    This country has a diabetes epidemic for a reason. 50% of the population is obese. Thatís not a generalization, thatís a fact.
    That just depends on how old you are. California has a bill that will ban all gas automobiles by 2040. As Iíve said, the E revolution is happening. It wonít be long before practically everything is electric. E car racing, e motorcycle racing, and yes e bike racing, oh wait, we already have that lol.

So it really doesnít matter if it happens in your lifetime or not, the fact is, it is going to happen.
    Attachment 1187255

Or could it be your logic is con

Really? So how did a E motor end up on a scooter? Or a skateboard? Or a wheel chair?

And yes, there is an E stroller! Iím sure the shoes wonít be long... lol.

And Iím the convoluted one? LMAO
    Yes, yes you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh My Sack! View Post
    Remember, there's always quilting and knitting if pedalling becomes too tough.

Esto Vir
    To answer the question in a single post:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Focus on technique and save the puking for later. - L. McCormack

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bbarry404 View Post
    To answer the question in a single post:
    Because they are not bicycles, they are motorized conveyances.
    Bicycles don't have motors.

Esto Vir
    ^^ DING DING DING!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Focus on technique and save the puking for later. - L. McCormack

Bikesexual
    "the walmart cheer" interesting segment name
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    Well that didnít take long.... It appears E shoes already exist.

Smart shoe devices generate power from walking - BBC News
    So you are equating shoes that create electricity by the motion of the wearer walking with shoes that use an electric motor to do the walking for the wearer?

You seem to be arguing that electronics in general will be added to everything in the future. I think that's fairly clear. The example in bikes would be Garmins, power meters, cadence sensors, etc.

What isn't clear is that things that have never had motors will have electric motors added. Two very different concepts, but you don't care about the details... Just as long as it seems like it's supporting your argument in some way.

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    So how did a E motor end up on a scooter? Or a skateboard?
    Excellent examples! Both are considered novelty (typically Chinese made junk) and not taken seriously by users of their more traditional counterparts... Just like e-bikes!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Electric motor, 2 stroke screamer or 4 stroke thumper, adding power to a bike makes it a motorcycle... if it has a throttle, or not, totally irrelevant.

I ran into this guy at Lord Hill in Seattle once, this motor was on an older Intense DH bike. It was, for all intents and purposes, a fully electric motorcycle.. enough torque to wheelie at will at 35mph... These should be on the same trail as a mountain bike. I would wager a decent some of money, this will out accelerate a current CR 450R motocrosser...

tangent motor company

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesPM View Post
    Electric motor, 2 stroke screamer or 4 stroke thumper, adding power to a bike makes it a motorcycle... if it has a throttle, or not, totally irrelevant.

I ran into this guy at Lord Hill in Seattle once, this motor was on an older Intense DH bike. It was, for all intents and purposes, a fully electric motorcycle.. enough torque to wheelie at will at 35mph... These should be on the same trail as a mountain bike. I would wager a decent some of money, this will out accelerate a current CR 450R motocrosser...

tangent motor company
    My arguments refer to class 1 pas bikes like the levo. Bikes like you mentioned donít belong on mtb only trails nor am I arguing for them.

Line that intense up next to my Ktm 450 and watch your decent some of money disappear.

mtbr member
    I just destroyed your theory and thatís all you got?
    The only thing you are destroying is your own forum reputation.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    My arguments refer to class 1 pas bikes like the levo.

Fortunately no one would ever ride anything more powerful on mtb trails, right?
    It ain't supposed to be easy.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDwayyo View Post
    So you are equating shoes that create electricity by the motion of the wearer walking with shoes that use an electric motor to do the walking for the wearer?

You seem to be arguing that electronics in general will be added to everything in the future. I think that's fairly clear. The example in bikes would be Garmins, power meters, cadence sensors, etc.

What isn't clear is that things that have never had motors will have electric motors added. Two very different concepts, but you don't care about the details... Just as long as it seems like it's supporting your argument in some way.
    My point about the shoes was merely to dispute his comment that electricity wouldnít make it into shoes. Regardless of why or how, electricity found its way into a shoe.

I think we can all agree e technology will spread just about everywhere. Why do bikes have electronic shifters? How long have we shifted manually? Because it works better thatís why. E tech enhances many of the things we already enjoy.

Everyone here enhances their arguments to support their views. Please tell me youíre not that naive?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by life behind bars View Post
    Fortunately no one would ever ride anything more powerful on mtb trails, right?
    Thatís what regulations and law enforcement are for.

Moderator Moderator
    My arguments refer to class 1 pas bikes like the levo. Bikes like you mentioned donít belong on mtb only trails nor am I arguing for them.
    And what about legal 750w Class 1 PAS emtbs? Cool? Verboten? I'd much rather have 1500w on tap and twice the torque than 530w if it was me.

Your Best Friend
    We already have the regulations. Are you going to pay for the extra law enforcement? And no, no one will pay a fee or sticker tax to get extra law enforcement.

We already have poaching by all classes of ebikes in our area. They know the regulations. Fortunately they ARE being given serious fines.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    I'm a mountain bike guide in southwest Utah

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    The only thing you are destroying is your own forum reputation.

First off, I could care less. Secondly, Do you have a problem with others that donít share your opinions or beliefs? If so, thatís frightening.

ďCare about what other people think and you will always be their prisonerĒ

~ Lao Tzu

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentfoe View Post
    We already have the regulations. Are you going to pay for the extra law enforcement? And no, no one will pay a fee or sticker tax to get extra law enforcement.

We already have poaching by all classes of ebikes in our area. They know the regulations. Fortunately they ARE being given serious fines.

Serious fines and bike impoundment would be a good start. In order to deter anyone from breaking the law there must be a strong penalty. For the same reason you speed going down the highway, you know you can go to traffic school or pay a small fine. Now if the penalty was subsatantial and they impounded your car would you still speed?

Flappity flappity flap
    First off, I could care less. Secondly, Do you have a problem with others that donít share your opinions or beliefs? If so, thatís frightening.

~ Lao Tzu
    Thirty spokes share the wheel's hub; It is the center hole that makes it useful. Shape clay into a vessel; It is the space within that makes it useful. Cut doors and windows for a room; It is the holes which make it useful. Therefore profit comes from what is there; Usefulness from what is not...

Quote Originally Posted by Zowie View Post
    Thirty spokes share the wheel's hub; It is the center hole that makes it useful. Shape clay into a vessel; It is the space within that makes it useful. Cut doors and windows for a room; It is the holes which make it useful. Therefore profit comes from what is there; Usefulness from what is not...
    ó Anonymous

Your Best Friend
    So quick story:

I caught an ebiker about to ride out onto one of our most popular, human powered only trails. We had a twenty minute back and forth. Consisted of me explaining why he couldn't ride there and him being belligerent and telling me why he was going to ride anyway. I took a picture of him and of his license plate. He even called the LBS to ask if he could ride there and they also told him no. He was later caught riding in another area, two days later. Also not allowed there.

Fast forward to me passing on the pictures and details to BLM Law enforcement. He has now been sent two tickets with fines in the mail. His info has also apparently been sent on to the special prosecutor in case he decides not to pay.

Guess that didn't go the way he thought it would.

mtbr member
    Secondly, Do you have a problem with others that donít share your opinions or beliefs?
    Stop trying to divert and twist everything that everyone is saying. I've been around here for years and so people understand perfectly well what kind of person I am.

Let's see if you can give a straight, reasonable and honest answer concerning the regulation of trails, I doubt that you can. Please begin by explaining how enforcement officers are supposed to tell the difference between low-powered eBikes and higher-powered or modified ones?

Cycologist

Let's see if you can give a straight, reasonable and honest answer concerning the regulation of trails, I doubt that you can. Please begin by explaining how enforcement officers are supposed to tell the difference between low-powered eBikes and higher-powered or modified ones?
    What enforcement officers?

mtbr member
    So quick story:

I caught an ebiker about to ride out onto one of our most popular, human powered only trails. We had a twenty minute back and forth. Consisted of me explaining why he couldn't ride there and him being belligerent and telling me why he was going to ride anyway. I took a picture of him and of his license plate. He even called the LBS to ask if he could ride there and they also told him no. He was later caught riding in another area, two days later. Also not allowed there.

Fast forward to me passing on the pictures and details to BLM Law enforcement. He has now been sent two tickets with fines in the mail. His info has also apparently been sent on to the special prosecutor in case he decides not to pay.

Guess that didn't go the way he thought it would.

Self policeing apparently is an effective tool. Guys that would ride appropriate e bikes would have no issues doing exact what you did against those who were not following the regulations.

mtbr member
    Guys that would ride appropriate e bikes would have no issues doing exact what you did against those who were not following the regulations.
    Know them all personally do you?

Are you going to explain how enforcement officers are supposed to tell the difference between low-powered eBikes and higher-powered or modified ones?

mtbr member
    Know them all personally do you?

Are you going to explain how enforcement officers are supposed to tell the difference between low-powered eBikes and higher-powered or modified ones?
    Iím no ebike expert but the high powered ebikes Iíve seen were pretty obvious.

How about education? If your going to manage land you should be educated about the regulations and what to look for.

I donít expect for that to make any sense to you.... nothing really does anyhow.

Your Best Friend
    How about education? If your going to manage land you should be educated about the regulations and what to look for.
    Education costs money.

The land managers found an easy way to draw an enforceable line. If it has a motor, it's banned. They are not interested in classes of ebikes.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALemon View Post
    But advances in battery and motor technology will make the difference less obvious. A bike that's on the legal limit and the same bike modified to be faster, how can someone tell them apart at the side of the trail? Could you?

Flappity flappity flap
    But advances in battery and motor technology will make the difference less obvious. A bike that's on the legal limit and the same bike modified to be faster, how can someone tell them apart at the side of the trail? Could you?
    The elephant in the room here being that they have already made their way to amateur road racing, with the excuse 'whoops, totally wasn't my bike in the pit'.

And besides, why did you think they were hydroforming those goofy huge AL downtubes all these years? I mean the logo space was nice, but we all know the real reason.

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    You keep claiming that is a fact, when it is really speculation.

Also of note is this article and any news you read about eBikes sales does not parse out Road eBikes vs MTB eBikes.

If any eBikes really start to supplant pedal bike sales, it will be with commuter bikes and beach cruisers, not with MTB's, and MTB's are all the users on this site are concerned about.

My personal prediction, eBikes will continue to drop in price and become very popular for Commuters, mildly popular for beach cruisers and remain Niche for MTB use.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

Commuter duty and motorized trails is the best case ending for e-motors. Blanket access to mtb trails is a non-starter.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017
    Education costs money.

The land managers found an easy way to draw an enforceable line. If it has a motor, it's banned. They are not interested in classes of ebikes.

In other words, land managers are a bunch of blithering idiots.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EricTheDood View Post
    Are you stating the obvious? Lol. When eMTB gain access they will come with a set of regulations. As a land manager, shouldnít your knowledge be up to date with all of the rules n regs for the land they manage? One would think so. Otherwise hand the job over to someone more willing

Cycologist
    See Mr. Enforcement Officer, legal to ride eBike! Ok, thanks, see ya!
    Pedal, pedal, pedal.
    Stop. Plug in dongle.
    Wheeeee!

Moderator Moderator
    Sure, moving forward, it'll be easy to tell them apart.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/evnerds...3famp_markup=1

2500w, looks like half of the emtbs out there.

Moderator Moderator
    No, they have better things to do. There isn't any plus side of emtbs for a land manager, it's just more work. If you think asking a land manager, who actually might not have enforcement capabilities, as in, they are not LEO's and can't write tickets, to catch, impound ebikes and fine people riding the "wrong" class of ebike, when they have more work on their plate than they can already deal with, and not having them laugh you off is possible, then you need to learn about the reality of the situation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    No, they have better things to do. There isn't any plus side of emtbs for a land manager, it's just more work. If you think asking a land manager, who actually might not have enforcement capabilities, as in, they are not LEO's and can't write tickets, to catch, impound ebikes and fine people riding the "wrong" class of ebike, when they have more work on their plate than they can already deal with, and not having them laugh you off is possible, then you need to learn about the reality of the situation.
    Yup.

On top of that, coming at them with a crappy attitude probably isn't going to help your cause much either.
    Sinister Bikes
    Wraith Bicycles
    Sunday River Mtn Bike Park
    NEMBA
    Wachusett Brewing Co.

Big Mac

~ Lao Tzu
    So whoís prisoner are you? All the mountain bikers? Since you care what we think.

mtbr member
    So whoís prisoner are you? All the mountain bikers? Since you care what we think.
    Iím no ones prisoner. My comments state that very clearly.
    Last edited by ALimon; 03-13-2018 at 10:29 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    ...the high powered ebikes Iíve seen were pretty obvious.
    How about education? If your going to manage land you should be educated about the regulations and what to look for....
    Since you seem to think itís so easy... howís about you do some educating?

Which of these ebikes is legal and which are not?

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-f16247c8-ad79-4a6f-8a6f-da4fe6cd9521.jpg

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-f441efbe-a378-4e7d-b2bf-f901e62e5b95.jpeg

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-84c1c77e-a3df-43d0-a803-e3f896b3badd.jpeg

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-18f9188d-6926-4563-b16a-ec5bbb79d4c7.jpeg

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-1d73cfab-4058-46b3-9984-c47d56708fae.jpeg

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoebeau View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F16247C8-AD79-4A6F-8A6F-DA4FE6CD9521.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	1187443

Name:	F441EFBE-A378-4E7D-B2BF-F901E62E5B95.jpeg 
Views:	37 
Size:	135.6 KB 
ID:	1187444

Name:	84C1C77E-A3DF-43D0-A803-E3F896B3BADD.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	230.6 KB 
ID:	1187445

Name:	18F9188D-6926-4563-B16A-EC5BBB79D4C7.jpeg 
Views:	31 
Size:	254.5 KB 
ID:	1187446

Name:	1D73CFAB-4058-46B3-9984-C47D56708FAE.jpeg 
Views:	30 
Size:	84.2 KB 
ID:	1187447
    none of the above.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

Big Mac
    What you were clear about is saying that you care about what others think of you. At least a little. When you say ďI could care lessĒ, it means you do care some, or else you couldnít possibly care any less. Or canít you wrap your head around that logic? I reckon you ainít so sharp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    What you were clear about is saying that you care about what others think of you. At least a little. When you say ďI could care lessĒ, it means you do care some, or else you couldnít possibly care any less. Or canít you wrap your head around that logic? I reckon you ainít so sharp.
    I also have attempted to educated ALimon of the proper use of that phrase... you're right; he ain't that sharp.

mtbr member
    May 2013

I share the same sentiment and have stated the same thing in the past. Regardless of how the bike industry lobby intends on "classifying" these bikes there will be absolutely no way of enforcing such classifications in a real world sense. So if a land manager is intending on letting these "bikes" on the trails they should be prepared to get the whole gamut. With that said, there's also the real possibility of mountain bikes as a whole being grouped together with embts if there isn't a clear line of demarcation between the groups. When and if that happens mountain bike access will be threatened as the rules regarding motorized transportation will suddenly and explicitly apply every mountain bike.

middle ring single track

Some of the above. Maybe.

Of the 2 obviously sold by Luna; #'s 3 and 4; #3 is definitely in the moped range and #4 is legal in the base model format but Luna is happy to upgrade to 2.5 kW for $250.

The others? Can't tell; that's probably the point of the post.
    Content here does not officially represent the CA DPR.

Windows 10, destroying humanity one upgrade at a time.

Upcyclist
    Cool heads prevail

mtbr member

No, it means I really donít care. Your interpretation of my comment is wrong... as usual. You do know this is the internet? Or the internothing if you will. Lol. You all are so serious and get so butt hurt...... I get a chuckle out of it.

Ever hear of a guy called Martin Luther King? Do you think he cared about what others thought?

No, it means I really donít care. Your interpretation of my comment is wrong... as usual. You do know this is the internet? Or the internothing if you will. Lol. You all are so serious and get so butt hurt...... I get a chuckle out of it.

Ever hear of a guy called Martin Luther King? Do you think he cared about what others thought?

The phrase that is so elusive to you is "I couldn't care less".

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

And your insistence that you are correct, even in the face of examples of the correct wording is what makes you appear to be the village idiot.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Big Mac

Do you hear yourself? How am I supposed to interpret your comment, other than itís literal meaning? You just donít get it. Youíre either thick, or obtuse. And wtf does MLK have to do with this? Seriously.

mtbr member

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-ebike-segregation.jpg
    I would advise not taking my advice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ALemon View Post
    So, you're the Martin Luther king of the eBike world, is that it? Fighting against oppression and injustice in the name of all that is right?

Bikesexual
    I don't know if those bikes ^^ are legal or not, but they are Fugly!
    The Orange Fleet:

'16 SC Heckler
    '14 All City MMD
    '12 Kona Unit Rigid

Professional MTBR Member
    Sep 2017

Can't tell from a standstill.

The illegal ones are going 20+ mph on flat ground or uphill.

If there is to be any enforcement, enforce by pointing a radar gun at the ebiker. If he breaks the speed limit, write him a ticket and inspect the bike. If it is determined that the bike is a Class 4, write him a second ticket and/or impound the bike.

If there isn't enforcement, then what's the point of the law?

mtbr member
    What is it with you?

Hey moderators, can I please give this guy more neg-rep?
    What part donít you understand that we donít have to agree? Your need for validation is amusing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

If there is to be any enforcement, enforce by pointing a radar gun at the ebiker. If he breaks the speed limit, write him a ticket and inspect the bike. If it is determined that the bike is a Class 4, write him a second ticket and/or impound the bike.

I have seen a ranger on some of our trail days, and once in a while in a parking lot. Never on a trail, and there are no speed limits where I ride( MA) let alone radar guns. Speed limits around here are usually defined by common sense and desire to remain healthy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Or make your own. Hide the battery in your back pack, and hide the motor behind a hacked up plastic waterbottle...

tangent motor company

BAN THEM ALL

Big Mac

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?

Youíre either stupid or just being a smart ass. Probably both. Not going to waste my time stating the obvious. If you canít put things together go back to your pen
    He just destroyed your theories, and everything youíve said and done here, and thatís all youíve got to say?

Prohibiting them entirely costs less than enforcement, which is the path of least resistance?

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Your Best Friend
    Prohibiting them entirely costs less than enforcement, which is the path of least resistance?
    Yep. Having a speed limit of any kind punishes legal trail users. I think it's fun to go fast. I don't want to see any speed limits on my local trails.

Once again, any kind of additional limitations requires people, money and time to enforce.

mtbr member

For lots of people, including me, hitting the trails is means of escaping people, congestion, noise and authority. Introducing something that requires radar guns and cops is much worse than any of the other issues they might cause.
    I brake for stinkbugs

mtbr member
    Nice job Nancy. You just summed up your entire personality in one post.

Wow! Pretty bold statement considering you donít know anything about this gentleman.

One sentence and and here come the judgements. You have to be the most judge mental lad on mtbr hands down! What a cupcake!

Moderator Moderator
    Yep. I've yet to see anyone in the pro-ebike camp, or in the industry work on actually supporting land managers in enforcing ebike policy, which if there are any old timers here, mtb orgs used to do similar things in the old days. We had a local mtb patrol out there riding around telling riders not to be asshats, helping out people with mechanicals, saying hello to the hikers and being good ambassadors of the sprort.

Like it or not, if you want ebike access to expand, there are issues to be dealt with, otherwise, other people will make those decisions for you, to your detriment.

Big Mac
    Wow! Pretty bold statement considering you donít know anything about this gentleman.

One sentence and and here come the judgements. You have to be the most judge mental lad on mtbr hands down! What a cupcake!
    Actually, I do know something about this ďgentlemanĒ. He thinks that anybody disagreeing with anotherís (his?) views, is a ďwhinerĒ. And now I know you love him, and want to protect him. Or her, or whatever. And I know that you are sheltered and new.

mtbr member
    Actually, I do know something about this ďgentlemanĒ. He thinks that anybody disagreeing with anotherís (his?) views, is a ďwhinerĒ. And now I know you love him, and want to protect him. Or her, or whatever. And I know that you are sheltered and new.

How many times did you say ďI know?Ē I bet you like hearing yourself say that over n over. Lol.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    How many times did you say ďI know?Ē I bet you like hearing yourself say that over n over. Lol.
    Yap yap yap yap yap...

How about answering my question below?

mtbr member
    Yap yap yap yap yap...

How about answering my question below?
    Without seeing the bike in person itís pointless. Send me a 360 view where I can see every angle and zoom... then I can tell ya what ya got.

Big Mac
    Without seeing the bike in person itís pointless. Send me a 360 view where I can see every angle and zoom... then I can tell ya what ya got.
    In other words, he canít tell. The other side looks just like the other side.

mtbr member
    Wrong again. Bikes do not look the same from both sides. Do you even ride man?

Your Best Friend
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryman View Post
    Yep. I've yet to see anyone in the pro-ebike camp, or in the industry work on actually supporting land managers in enforcing ebike policy, which if there are any old timers here, mtb orgs used to do similar things in the old days. We had a local mtb patrol out there riding around telling riders not to be asshats, helping out people with mechanicals, saying hello to the hikers and being good ambassadors of the sprort.

Like it or not, if you want ebike access to expand, there are issues to be dealt with, otherwise, other people will make those decisions for you, to your detriment.
    Nailed it.

There are still groups of mtbr's out there working as ambassadors.

mtbr member
    Ride more, worry less and have fun. This is another 23+ page thread on how evil ebikes are. No wonder people in Europe think Americans are a bunch of ass hats.

And if you really need to know a little about me, I belong to a small bike group with as of now 370 members and growing, a good bit of us volunteer our time to help build and maintain the trails,part of a subgroup called trail Pittsburgh (look them up on facebook). To us its all about getting out and having fun, and if any guy went out and showed up on a Ebike we would have no problem with it.
    2018 Canyon Spectral
    2016 Ibis Ripley OG
    2016 Salsa Bucksaw

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Wrong again. Bikes do not look the same from both sides. Do you even ride man?
    Surprised you need to see the other side. You said in your own words that ďitís pretty obviousĒ.

Well here is the other side of each. So whatís what?

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-ce9ebb7a-ffef-43a5-bbca-eed815e62044.jpeg

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-b66b0315-e484-4744-b205-3e4709530377.jpg

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-bff56382-9a5c-4021-8c1a-98bbd5a8f943.jpg

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-ca4a2939-8f08-4aa3-9055-216771295ca6.jpeg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-da9106fa-0a09-431a-bd6b-b8cc279405c0.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Ride more, worry less and have fun. This is another 23+ page thread on how evil ebikes are. No wonder people in Europe think Americans are a bunch of ass hats.

And if you really need to know a little about me, I belong to a small bike group with as of now 370 members and growing, a good bit of us volunteer our time to help build and maintain the trails,part of a subgroup called trail Pittsburgh (look them up on facebook). To us its all about getting out and having fun, and if any guy went out and showed up on a Ebike we would have no problem with it.
    Post of the year!

Post of the year!

You appear to have very low standards for content. Most people here wouldn't object to anyone that showed up with an e-motorized vehicle as long as they weren't poaching or being an asshat.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Cycologist
    This thread jumped the shark way back; ALimon is just trolling at this point.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Oh please. The anti crowd trolls on a daily basis.

Single(Pivot)and Happy
    Kinda disappointed to see civil discussion, for the most part, abandoned, replaced with personal insults and outright disrespect. One could read pages of this thread and have no idea what the title is.

Unfortunately for electric motor bike riders in San Diego County, this is not a touchy subject. SD County DPR has banned electric motor bikes from all County trails. The reason given is that "all County trails are non-motorized use only." When I asked if this included pedal-assist electric motor bikes, their answer was, "If it has a motor, it is not allowed on non-motorized use trails."

I asked if they met with any electric motor bike advocates. Their response was,"contacted manufacturers. One told us we should follow State Law, ha ha."

I thought Cal. State law was going to be the model. My county thought otherwise. There are people on this forum that obviously are passionate about electric motor biking. If you are lucky enough to not face trail access issues in your area you may want to help others in different areas that may not be so lucky.

One last thing: One sure fire way to create negative public opinion is to have a local electric motor bike rental/sales company also provide group rides the day after a rain event, especially in socal. I wouldn't call the riders electric motor bike riders, they were simply a55holes. The tour leader, we'll call him lucky.
    The suspension of your bike sucks if it's different than mine. Really. It sucks. Big time.

EAT MORE GRIME
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Something tells me thinking isnít a hobby of his.
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Oh please. The anti crowd trolls on a daily basis.
    Yap, yap, yap, yap, yap, yap again. Your like a chiwawa.

How about answering the questions below now? You know, talking about something that pertains to the thread title.

Well?

Surprised you need to see the other side. You said in your own words that ďitís pretty obviousĒ.

Name:	CE9EBB7A-FFEF-43A5-BBCA-EED815E62044.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	256.0 KB 
ID:	1187615

Name:	B66B0315-E484-4744-B205-3E4709530377.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	124.9 KB 
ID:	1187616

Name:	BFF56382-9A5C-4021-8C1A-98BBD5A8F943.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	108.5 KB 
ID:	1187617

Name:	CA4A2939-8F08-4AA3-9055-216771295CA6.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	1187619
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-cddce271-2093-45ae-a37d-5977c333c2ee.jpg  

mtbr member
    Ok. I'm actually moderately pro-ebike. And wouldn't have an issue if advocates approached it like this:

1 ebikes are motorized bikes and should not be treated the same as non-motorized bikes.
    2 however, 250watt PAS bikes do not damage trails or cause excessive speeds.
    3. We recognize, even though 250 watt ebikes are essentially the same power wise as very fit humans, there may be unintended consequences to letting them on the trail: significantly more users causing damage, increased closing speeds uphill, the introduction of unskilled riders to backcountry areas, increased congestion. However none of these are insurmountable or even likely to occur.
    4. We propose opening one trail system in the area (around here I would suggest south Foothills) to 250 watt PAS. On a time limited basis of one year. After one year. This access will automatically be revoked unless explicitly extended by the land manager after an open comment and meeting session. During this year the local ebike club (there isn't one here) will meet with the land manager to address concerns.

Of course the problem is all these 750 watt bikes that ARE significantly different from people powered vehicles. So enforcement would be an issue. Gotta say the industry should have gone with the European standards.

And the ebike advocates on here insisting it isn't a motorized vehicle and other weird nonsense.

Like I said I'm kinda for them. But I have no interest in them myself (yes I have ridden them). And no interest in advocating for them.

And after I read the pro people on here. I kinda want to go out and get them banned from the trails where they can legally ride them. You guys (generally speaking) are doing yourself very few favors here.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    It's just a flesh wound!

mtbr member
    Oh brother :0( What a mess. Time to unsubscribe methinks.

Considering the animosity that eBike discussions cause, why is it that they are given a whole forum while politics and religion are banned?

^Yeah, non-binary FTW. Maybe "hexapersonoid."
    ó Anonymous

Carbon based lifeform is probably going to piss someone off.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Thinking about riding.
    Dec 2014
    What part donít you understand that we donít have to agree? Your need for validation is amusing.
    Says the guy who has been responding to nearly every post in this thread for four pages.

Big Mac
    Actually it isn't. Try to keep up with popular culture references. You don't need to be offended with everything.

He could care less about popular culture.

mtbr member

Ha! Him?

No way. I'm far, far more judgmental than he is and most likely moreso than anyone else on this forum.

I'm going to blow up this whole thread with my judgements. You just wait and see.
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

Quote Originally Posted by Curveball View Post
    Ha! Him?

No way. I'm far, far more judgmental than he is and most likely moreso than anyone else on this forum.

I'm going to blow up this whole thread with my judgements. You just wait and see.

Word.

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    I'm going to have few beers when I get home from work just to really get the judginess going.

Then, look out!
    Riding Washington State singletrack since 1986

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Actually it is. He was referring to the ďwhite cowboyĒ as a particular superior race. Thatís racism by the very definition. Nice try too!
    Still avoiding my questions huh? I am starting to think that you really donít know much about ebikes at all and are just here trolling.

How about you show us what you know or just admit your trolling?

[QUOTE=tahoebeau;13581295]Surprised you need to see the other side. You said in your own words that ďitís pretty obviousĒ.

[QUOTE]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-fa6ddedb-65c1-4a39-a23c-02050042bcce.jpeg  

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-406f8803-e6fe-4176-afa3-f69ff56147ea.jpg  

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-89726b7d-122d-4fd3-b92c-aaf5717769d6.jpg  

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-3a1a5f82-f1fb-4553-b75d-d0790efa8659.jpg  

Why Are E-Bikes Such a Touchy Subject in the U.S.?-c623ce9c-034b-4a04-b49f-721da76fab0c.jpeg  

Last edited by tahoebeau; 03-15-2018 at 05:43 PM.

EAT MORE GRIME

10,000,000 Watts
    Wow, bunch of 40-50 yr old dudes getting pretty excited over electric bicycles. Iím scared to think how everyone would react over a serious topic. They are friggin bicycles or not. Who gives a s**t?
    ďAs a top contributor to the Sierra Club, I can honestly say, the next time you wipe, thank a logger.Ē

Quote Originally Posted by Gutch View Post
    Wow, bunch of 40-50 yr old dudes getting pretty excited over electric bicycles. Iím scared to think how everyone would react over a serious topic. They are friggin bicycles or not. Who gives a s**t?

Apparently your posts indicate that you don't?

Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    You must have missed the REI/Camelback/AR15 thread.....

10,000,000 Watts
    Apparently your posts indicate that you don't?
    I donít really care either way. Iím going to be on 2 wheels either way. I see both sides and just gonna let it play out. My Levo hasnít moved in two months. Bigger fish to fry...
    ďAs a top contributor to the Sierra Club, I can honestly say, the next time you wipe, thank a logger.Ē

10,000,000 Watts
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    You must have missed the REI/Camelback/AR15 thread.....
    Yes, and glad I did.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Wtf? A lil angry are ya? Lol.

ďI would think he meant?Ē Iíd rather not assume.

Dip shit? Thatís a nice big word for a 3rd grader
    If I wasn't clear I meant to say "white cowboy" as in the guy wearing the white cowboy hat, boots, and outfit and comes into town on a white horse ready to save the day. It's a metaphor which shares the same meaning as "white Knight" as you know this is a topic about why ebikes are a touchy subject in the US. Here we don't have knights, we got cowboys.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    From the horses mouth....

Į\_(ツ)_/Į SuperModerator
    Holy Crap people. STOP THE PERSONAL ATTACKS.

I just trimmed a bunch of the garbage posts out, If this keeps up the entire thread is getting binned.
    Ride Bikes, Drink Craft Beer, Repeat.

Know these before you post:
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    e-bike sub-forum rules

mtbr member
    Oh brother :0( What a mess. Time to unsubscribe methinks.

Considering the animosity that eBike discussions cause, why is it that they are given a whole forum while politics and religion are banned?
    Donít threaten me with a good time. Do it!! Unsubscribe. I dare ya.