mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Why Do Flat Pedals Cost So Darned Much

I need to work on some skillz and all I got are SPDs.

I go looking on the usual shopping sites and am amazed that flat pedals that aren't made out of recycled plastic cost more than clipless. What's up with that?

So what's a decent flat pedal for a guy who isn't going to be on them a lot, not a gNarL downhill thing or flimsy for not a lot of money?

Cycologist
    Raceface Chesters

Yes, they are plastic, but that actually helps them from getting beat up by pedal strikes.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

Self Appointed Judge&Jury
    Learn your skills on clipless and donít look back.
    Quote Originally Posted by mileslong View Post
    I passionately remove rocks and corners and other stuff I find too hard to ride.

Bikesexual
    +1 on Chesters. $50.00 at Jensons.
    just get a bike and ride!

mtbr member
    Apr 2017
    Raceface chesters or OneUp components composites. I highly recommend the OneUps.

mtbr member
    DMR V6 $20

ive used them for like 2 years, love em. theyre light, comfy, grippy, solid build. 0 problems so far

https://www.amazon.com/DMR-Pedals-Pl...70_&dpSrc=srch

Last edited by nauc; 05-15-2018 at 10:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Ebay has plenty of cheap, synthetic pedals ^^

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    You can find some cool low-profile platforms cheap on eBay. And by cheap I mean under $50. Some are really well made.

Sent from my C6916 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    for 50 you can get chinese platforms with titanium spindle at ~250g weight on ebay.
    big choice for regular platforms too at 10-30 range. after spending hundreds on brand pedals I am thinking to try upper-end chinese ones.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic View Post
    Why Do Flat Pedals Cost So Darned Much
    The short answer is that they don't. If you buy a fancy brand expect to pay for it but there are lots of solid pedals available for sensible money. I like Wellgo MG1 pedals. Reasonable price but grippy, sturdy and not too thick. In fact Wellgo V8 Copy pedals are dirty cheap and perfectly good pedals.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by targnik View Post
    Ebay has plenty of cheap, synthetic pedals
    I only ride naturally occurring pedals.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Look at the pins when you shop. You can go with long sharp for dh and 5.10s- they tear up trailrunners. You can go with short thin or short stubby. If you ride in runners with an open tread stubby works great if you get off the seat and keep your heels low when going over rocks/rootrs. That way it's impossible to get bounced off for trail riding speeds and terrain.
    https://www.amazon.com/Wellgo-MG-5-M.../dp/B00NYPUXOG

Name:  61dEQ9TUUcL._SY355_.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  17.8 KB

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Deity Compund pedals are another option. Just got my first set and love them.
    https://www.deitycomponents.com/comp...on-pedals.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    Look at the pins when you shop. You can go with long sharp for dh and 5.10s
    Yeah, forget the pedals, why do 5.10s cost so much! :0(

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Pig View Post
    Yeah, forget the pedals, why do 5.10s cost so much! :0(
    Because most riders who aren't running dh lift serviced park or jumping big air don't need them.
    Trailrunners or your regular running shoes trainers are lighter with better ventilation. Adidas Boost runners do a very good job of isolating the soles of your feet if you ride rocky terrain hard enough to get numbness. Like Supernova.

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Why do flat pedals cost so darned much? They don't.

RaceFace Chesters or Kona Wah Wah 2s.

Got the Chesters. The Wah Wah 2s are on their way (along with 4 sweet a$$ Kona pint glasses of 2 varieties, a nifty inexpensive Kona torque wrench, and a Kona coffee mug). My whole Kona order was less expensive than most of the trending metal flats.

Gotta love the composites. One of the only bike components where you CAN have all three -- light, strong AND CHEAP. They don't get banged up, and they slide off the rocks. And they come in funky colours that don't get chipped, scratched and mangled to he11 like the metal ones. All good.

mtbr member
    Raceface Chesters or Wellgo MG1s are great affordable mtb pedals.

If you're just looking for something to learn tricks w/ there are loads of BMX pedals for like $20.

Plenty of cheap flats out there.
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

Anytime. Anywhere.
    I have WW Its and also like the OneUps. The Chesters are smaller and thicker, but solid.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chazpat View Post
    Raceface Chesters

Yes, they are plastic, but that actually helps them from getting beat up by pedal strikes.
    I got a Chester knockoff (Eagle Riding) nylon pair of pedals for $25, super light, love them, no problems at all, stick like glue. No need for brand names when it comes to flat pedals, there are a ton of them for under $75/pair. It's just that you guys have some kind of aversion to Amazon.com, like the bike parts there must not be real or something.
    The masses are...well...you know.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by richj8990 View Post
    I got a Chester knockoff (Eagle Riding) nylon pair of pedals for $25, super light, love them, no problems at all, stick like glue. No need for brand names when it comes to flat pedals, there are a ton of them for under $75/pair. It's just that you guys have some kind of aversion to Amazon.com, like the bike parts there must not be real or something.

Some people would rather have the original instead of what could be a highly suspect knock off.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    There are all sorts of obvious reasons why some may wish to not buy Chinese knock offs. Besides, Chesters are $50. It's a difference of $25.

That said, it's been pretty boring round here lately so I applaud any efforts to spice things up a bit.
    Last edited by mtnbkrmike; 05-05-2018 at 01:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Because most riders who aren't running dh lift serviced park or jumping big air don't need them. Trailrunners or your regular running shoes trainers are lighter with better ventilation.
    I don't see why that might make them more expensive and besides, I don't agree. I don't do 'big air' or anything but I've tried different trainers and 5.10s keep my feet on the pedals better. They grip much better than standard trainers which in my book is good reason for any rider to wear them.

Moderator Moderator
    ummm, just about any upgrade will cost a lot in the MTB world.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    Quote Originally Posted by AshevilleMTB View Post
    ummm, just about any upgrade will cost a lot in the MTB world.

Yes, scale has a lot to do with it. Whittle a set out on the cnc or have a mold made and then discuss cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.
    Make
    America
    Gravel
    Again

Cycologist
    A whole lot of the bike gear sold on Amazon is "Sold by X bicycle store and Fulfilled by Amazon". So it's actually coming from an online bike store and Amazon is just getting a piece of the action. I've looked at bike gear on Amazon only to find it was being sold by a bike store I knew of so I'll check their website and buy direct if the price and shipping is the same. I've also found that bike gear on Amazon can be more expensive than the online bike stores.

When I bought my Chesters, they were the first non-clipless pedals I'd bought in a decade so I wanted to be sure that if I didn't like riding platforms, it was because I didn't like riding platforms and not because I bought some subpar pedals to save a few bucks. Those pedals you bought mostly have good reviews but I also see:

"Bearings seized after 4 rides" (2nd review listed)

"They look great and were great for the first two rides. The third ride one pedal binds" (5th review listed)

Just realized what I pulled up is by "Fooker" and sold by EagleCycling which is Eagle Riding LLC, not sure if that is 100% the same as yours. But the fact that it says "For Road BMX MTB Fixie Bikes" does not give me a lot of confidence that they really know what they are doing.
    There are two types of people in this world:
    1) Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data

mtbr member
    5.10's are one of the best investments you can make if you ride flats ^^

As long as the cheaper (in price) pedals have adjustable height on the pins, you're golden ;-)

NB - I find it reversed w/ clipless i.e. don't skimp on the pedals XT, at a minimum.

The shoes however - nicely priced shoes can usually be found from lesser known brands.

'Born to ride!'
    "Mountain biking: the under-rated and drug-free antidepressant"

mtbr member
    Chesters. Can't seem to break them after 1.5 years of hard riding. Hard pedal strike broke my carbon frame, but I'm still running the pedals on my new bike. Plastic takes a beating, the axles are tough, and have not lost a single pin. Bonus, I no longer cringe like I did while grinding my $100 pedals into rocks. Not bad for $50.
    Veni vidi velo!

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    Because most riders who aren't running dh lift serviced park or jumping big air don't need them.
    Trailrunners or your regular running shoes trainers are lighter with better ventilation. Adidas Boost runners do a very good job of isolating the soles of your feet if you ride rocky terrain hard enough to get numbness. Like Supernova.
    This is just patently incorrect.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Another vote for Oneup plastic pedals, they're wide, grippy, and inexpensive. I am sure one of those thinner 6mm pedals would improve my skills but I'm too cheap to find out.

5.10s aren't overrated, maybe pricey. They are constantly changing so the older versions are always on sale like previous model years of camelbaks and helmets.

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by Ratt View Post
    Another vote for Oneup plastic pedals, they're wide, grippy, and inexpensive. I am sure one of those thinner 6mm pedals would improve my skills but I'm too cheap to find out.

5.10s aren't overrated, maybe pricey. They are constantly changing so the older versions are always on sale like previous model years of camelbaks and helmets.
    They no longer have the outlet since adidas bought them.

If you are on flats still a great shoe, and worth it.

Sent from my LGMS210 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Redline Monster pedals were $40 last time I checked and are the best flats I have ridden.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    5.10s like many things in mtbiking, are really necessary in certain terrains. They are ok in a broad range of conditions. And they aren't optimal in some. You decide how you spend your money. In hot conditions or climates at medium speeds lighter running shoes or trailrunners with good ventilation are more of what I want. When rocks and more rocks are a big part of the trail at medium speeds I need more isolation padding then they have. They've been on the shelf doing nothing for several seasons for me. I've got three pairs of Adidas Supernova Boost and one of a Boost trailrunner model instead. Get um on sale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Thanks for the great suggestions. Glad to know some of the cheaper options are not a waste.

For the guys who say they don't cost much, a lot of these recommendations cost more than clipless. That's the part I don't get. Bearings and a slab and pins would not seem to be more expensive than all the springy, clamping, moving parts in a clipless.

[QUOTELearn your skills on clipless and donít look back.[/QUOTE]

I wheelied onto my back last week.

locked - time out
    Nov 2016
    Thanks for the great suggestions. Glad to know some of the cheaper options are not a waste.

For the guys who say they don't cost much, a lot of these recommendations cost more than clipless. That's the part I don't get. Bearings and a slab and pins would not seem to be more expensive than all the springy, clamping, moving parts in a clipless.

Learn your skills on clipless and donít look back.
    I wheelied onto my back last week.
    There is a lot of waste generated with the billet platforms and some special engineering for them that does not exist with standard clipless.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BOOM goes the dynamite!
    Rode a set of the new Kona Wah Wah 2 nylon pedals at a demo recently. As good or better than the chesters. They're also $50.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by noapathy View Post
    Rode a set of the new Kona Wah Wah 2 nylon pedals at a demo recently. As good or better than the chesters. They're also $50.
    Wanted to get those but no shops had them. I've been impressed with the one up composite pedals, they've been perfect so far.

mtbr member
    Pedals are not that bad. the do not "cost so darned much." like anything else, there is a range, and the options that people crow about are often the fanciest, most expensive ones. there are plenty of options that are less expensive and work great.

I have some VP Vices that were $50. flat, light, grippy, strong.

The problem is shoes that last for a reasonable price. I can find decent trail runners for under $50 on sale, but it seems like only one company makes a sneaker that sticks and would last me more than five rides. I have Giro Jackets now and the soles disintegrated in short order, but I am still having a hard time coughing up $150 for Five Tens. They know they have us over a barrel with that.

5.10s like many things in mtbiking, are really necessary in certain terrains. They are ok in a broad range of conditions. And they aren't optimal in some. In hot conditions or climates at medium speeds lighter running shoes or trailrunners with good ventilation are more of what I want.
    I will have to look into Adidas' offerings, but regular sneakers just crumble into dust if you're doing anything more than pedaling on roads. I rode BMX for almost 20 years and aleways had the same problem- every skate or bmx shoe I tried lasted only a few months before the pedals wore holes in the soles.

Also, generic knockoff pedals is not a risk I would take. Saving a few bucks of "rock bros" Amazon crap is not with going to the hospital after a metal bar has shreded my calf open.
    Last edited by mack_turtle; 05-07-2018 at 08:29 AM.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member

For the guys who say they don't cost much, a lot of these recommendations cost more than clipless.
    Are you comparing apples to apples here? Prices on bike components can be all over the map. You can buy some decent flat pedals for under $30 or up to 300. They are very different things with different manufacturing costs and economies of scale, so a blanket statement like that is meaningless.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    May 2013
    There was a time I got nice aluminum flat pedals with removable pins for around $20, but for some reason the same pedals now retail for about $80 in less than 10 years. Since then I've been happy with my RF Chesters and 5ten freerider.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    There was a time I got nice aluminum flat pedals with removable pins for around $20, but for some reason the same pedals now retail for about $80 in less than 10 years. Since then I've been happy with my RF Chesters and 5ten freerider.
    can you provide some examples of pedals that cost $80 today and are the equivalent of the $20 pedal of yesteryear?

I remember these:
    Why Do Flat Pedals Cost So Darned Much-001-wp-b102__01.jpg

THICK, lousy grip, always one bent spindle, pins always breaking off or falling out, small platform, gritty bearings, etc. you can still get a pedal like this for under $20. many of the offerings today for under $50, in spite of inflation, are vastly superior.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    can you provide some examples of pedals that cost $80 today and are the equivalent of the $20 pedal of yesteryear?

I remember these:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001-WP-B102__01.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	1196911

THICK, lousy grip, always one bent spindle, pins always breaking off or falling out, small platform, gritty bearings, etc. you can still get a pedal like this for under $20. many of the offerings today for under $50, in spite of inflation, are vastly superior.
    I think they were probably some generic bmx pedal. Actually my memory sucks but definitely better than those. They had replaceable grub screws. Got them at my LBS for about $17.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Bikesexual
    Quote Originally Posted by mack_turtle View Post
    Pedals are not that bad. the do not "cost so darned much." like anything else, there is a range, and the options that people crow about are often the fanciest, most expensive ones. there are plenty of options that are less expensive and work great.

I have some VP Vices that were $50. flat, light, grippy, strong.
    These are what I'm currently using on my trail bike, solid pedals as well. I just found the Chesters to be lighter, and can take abuse as well. Your legs do get beat up with those, more than the Chesters.

I used to recommend the Vices but once these wear out, I'm moving to the Chesters for all my bikes. (right now 2 out of 4 have them) the other two have Vices.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Just to add my two cents n the Chesters. I run them on both a 2017 Trek Slash 9.8 and a 2017 Fuel EX 9.8 and really like them. Can't compare to other pedals, but here on the BC North Shore they're fine. Price was my main consideration, but no regrets.

Ph, and as for shoes, I recently started using 5.10s and I can't believe the difference they make! I've used decent all round hiking shoes (and skate shoes) in the past, and for me the 5.10s are amazing. I would not want to ride without them now! Maybe it's just me, but shoes intended for flats are hugely important....

mtbr member
    I have used both the MG-1 and MG-5 Wellgo pedals and they are just fine but not great. I currently have a pair of Chesters for the fat bike and they are good but not great. My next paycheck will have room for a pair of the One-up composites. They weigh the same and have the same thickness as the Chester but may have a better platform and have 10 pins instead of 8 for about the same price but lack in colors. They are the same design as their aluminum counterpart. I'm eager to give them a whirl. 5 star review on MTBR...

I have ridden SPDs for years, but it's hard for me to find shoes for the width of my feet. Which honestly shouldn't be that hard since I'm only a EE-EEE. Factoring in the cost of the shoe and pedal, I'm leaning more towards flats lately. Also, sneakers are better for family rides.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    I tried about half a dozen different pedals from $20 to $100 in one year. Clear winner: RaceFace Chester.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    I have used both the MG-1 and MG-5 Wellgo pedals and they are just fine but not great. I currently have a pair of Chesters for the fat bike and they are good but not great. My next paycheck will have room for a pair of the One-up composites. They weigh the same and have the same thickness as the Chester but may have a better platform and have 10 pins instead of 8 for about the same price but lack in colors. They are the same design as their aluminum counterpart. I'm eager to give them a whirl. 5 star review on MTBR...

I have ridden SPDs for years, but it's hard for me to find shoes for the width of my feet. Which honestly shouldn't be that hard since I'm only a EE-EEE. Factoring in the cost of the shoe and pedal, I'm leaning more towards flats lately. Also, sneakers are better for family rides.
    Off topic a bit here, but look into the clipless version of the Specalized 2FO. I also have wide, fat feet and they worked very well for me.

mtbr member
    OP, you're just looking in the wrong place. Flats and skate shoes are cheap as dirt, especially if you're just starting out in this world. I could have gone even cheaper but here are some solid classics. $50 total.

https://www.danscomp.com/products/46...ed_Stark).html

https://www.danscomp.com/products/72...Pro_Shoes.html
    "You can be clipped in and be boring or ride flats and have a good time." - Sam Hill

mtbr member
    Tealy- what is your experience with Vans? I had a pair of their burly skate shoes one time, lasted me a few rides. that sole is grippy but has the durability of cheese.
    Thorn in your Sidewall
    Vassago Jabberwocky

mtbr member
    I know people who go through vans in a month but I've been rocking el cheapo vans for a while and they always last me a year. Now I don't do a ton of mountain biking in them but I wear them to skate, bmx, and everything else. I run gnarly metal platform pedals on the bmx and those don't even chew through the vans. I mainly wear out the gum sole foot braking on the skateboard.

I prefer to wear 5.10s for mtb only because they have better support and toe protection. But if you're just learning mtb skills and not putting in high mileage, I think vans work fine. Not a huge fan of trail running shoes. While they do grip okay they don't wrap around the pedals well and lack sensitivity. Although, 90% of flat pedal skill is just experience and leg reaction.

I could ride flat pedals in puppy slippers and still smoke your asses.

mtbr member
    I've used Vans for about a year. The soles still look fine but the shoes were contributing to mt plantar fasciitis so I just bought some Bontrager Flatline shoes during Trek Fest. I was using Nuke Proof Neutron EVO pedals because my big feet don't like the small platform of the Chesters. I bought some of the Kona Wah Wah 2 pedals for my new Stache at bikeman. I absolutely love them.
    Change begins by doing something different.

Mudhorse
    The short answer is that they don't. If you buy a fancy brand expect to pay for it but there are lots of solid pedals available for sensible money. I like Wellgo MG1 pedals. Reasonable price but grippy, sturdy and not too thick. In fact Wellgo V8 Copy pedals are dirty cheap and perfectly good pedals.
    Wellgo B143 pedals for me - they're one of the few flat pedals that will happily take a strapless toe clip thingy and the bearings/bushings are as tough as. Mind, they are 1 g heavier than the MG1, and for some reason also £5 more expensive. CRC have 'em half price at the moment (out of stock, naturally) - I really should stock up on the things as obsolescence insurance.
    Hose me down till the water runs clear.

Cymru am byth!
    Three points of contact on a bike.. my personal opinion is splurge a little on two, saddles and pedals. Your riding experience will be vastly better with good pedals and saddle. Doesn't mean buy the most expensive, just get something that functions well and will last.
    he smelt of triflow, had a nice smile, with kind eyes... so I married him

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Grassington View Post
    CRC have 'em half price at the moment (out of stock, naturally)
    Is it just me or have Chain Reaction gone to crap? It's virtually impossible to find genuine bargains on there these days and any cheap prices that are advertised are always 'sold out'. I don't think they are better than any other on-line seller now and I virtually always find better prices on eBay, or another seller.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Is it just me or have Chain Reaction gone to crap? It's virtually impossible to find genuine bargains on there these days and any cheap prices that are advertised are always 'sold out'. I don't think they are better than any other on-line seller now and I virtually always find better prices on eBay, or another seller.
    There used to be a time when their prices reflected actual exchange rates which sometimes meant really great deals at times with the dollar was greatly valued over the pound. But since then CRC has gone to pricing their items using standard pricing. So it's really not worth shopping their unless they have a really good sale going on.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    eh, the plastic pedals are better than the aluminum ones. Lighter weight and pedal strikes do practically no damage to them and give a mild thud rather than a bone rattling crunch. My One Ups still look new after a year (except for the pins, which are metal).

The standard used to be Race Face Chesters and One Up but I think the new Kona Wah Wah II composite pedals have raised the bar for what is capable for plastic.

Never going back to aluminum, composite is better in pretty much every category

mtbr member
    Since they were bought out by Wiggle this has been my observation as well.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Since they were bought out by Wiggle this has been my observation as well.
    I think you got it the other way around. Crc bought wiggle. And they were pressured from manufactures like Shimano who felt they were undercutting their us competitors. Which they were.
    3 Bikes to rule them all
    2013 Scott Genius SL
    2017 Yeti ASRC
    2017 Octane One Zircus

Land of the 230+
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonaid View Post
    I think you got it the other way around. Crc bought wiggle.
    After the Competition Commission approved the merger in July 2016 and Wiggle bought 100% of the Chain Reactions Cycle equity from the Watson family, the Wiggle CRC group was formed.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_Reaction_Cycles

I remember thinking it must be backwards at the time.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I have used both the MG-1 and MG-5 Wellgo pedals and they are just fine but not great. I currently have a pair of Chesters for the fat bike and they are good but not great. My next paycheck will have room for a pair of the One-up composites. <<<Snippage>>>
    Check out the Giro in the "High Volume" versions. They work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by tealy View Post
    OP, you're just looking in the wrong place. Flats and skate shoes are cheap as dirt, especially if you're just starting out in this world. I could have gone even cheaper but here are some solid classics. $50 total.

https://www.danscomp.com/products/46...ed_Stark).html

https://www.danscomp.com/products/72...Pro_Shoes.html
    Will definitely check them out. Yeah, my usual shopping locations don't even seem to have a wide variety of this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by idividebyzero View Post
    eh, the plastic pedals are better than the aluminum ones. Lighter weight and pedal strikes do practically no damage to them and give a mild thud rather than a bone rattling crunch. My One Ups still look new after a year (except for the pins, which are metal).

The standard used to be Race Face Chesters and One Up but I think the new Kona Wah Wah II composite pedals have raised the bar for what is capable for plastic.

Never going back to aluminum, composite is better in pretty much every category
    Thanks. Not knowing the breed I was associating plastic with the crap "space keeper" pedals that new bikes ship with.

I'll let y'all know what I come up with. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    If you wanted metal for close to $50....these are a pretty solid set that I've been using.

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=52233

Land of the 230+
    I got jenson to match cambria's price on xpedo sprys for 59.95. Not too bad for the genuine article. Ebay and aliexpress are entirely knockoffs.

mtbr member

DMR V12 Alloy Pedals VS. DMR V12 Mag Pedals

DMR V12 Alloy Pedals VS. DMR V12 Mag Pedals

DMR V12 Mag Pedals
    Redesigned, lower profile, larger platform forged magnesium body
    Durable chrome plated CrMo axle with smooth sealed cartridge bearings
    10 replaceable traction pins per side
    Dimensions: 100x95x16mm
    Spindle: CrMo
    Size: 9/16"
    Weight: 350g.
    $70.00

DMR V12 Alloy Pedals
    Redesigned, lower profile, larger platform forged aluminum body
    Durable chrome plated CrMo axle with smooth sealed cartridge bearings
    10 replaceable traction pins per side
    Dimensions: 100x95x16mm
    Spindle: CrMo
    Size: 9/16"
    Weight: 420g.
    $63.00

I was looking at DMR V12 Pedals last Summer of 2017

the DMR 12 Pedal use 9/16in wrench and 6mm Pedal Hex

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SCxXxMTB View Post
    Raceface chesters or OneUp components composites. I highly recommend the OneUps.
    I bought Chesters last year. Maybe I have bigger feet than most (11.5 or 12), but I felt that the back half of the cage felt too short/close to the spindle, so I never felt that comfortable with them.

I replaced them with the OneUp Composites, and they are very noticeably better than the Chesters for me due to the larger platform, particularly the back cage to spindle measurement which is a lot larger. The OneUps and Chester are otherwise similar (about the same retail price, though I got mine on sale for $38, same weight to the gram on my scale), so the choice between the two are easy. I looked into switching after seeing fc say that the OneUps are much better than the Chesters, and he was right.

For a less than half price of the OneUps, I'll second the person that recommended the DMR V6 if you want something even less money than the OneUps. It's a thicker platform, but the concave shape feels great, and the skinny plastic pins bite even better than metal. It's also 29 grams lighter than the OneUp Composites or Race Face Chesters, which are already lightweight.
    Last edited by xcandrew; 05-14-2018 at 06:54 AM.

mtbr member
    I went from chesters to the crankbrothers stamp 3 what a huge difference for my size 12 feet no more jumping off the pegs and they just stick so much better you can get them for around $60

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    I have reached the same conclusions about the Chesters compared to the Kona Wah Wahs, in terms of platform size. Both are fine but I will be using the Wah Wahs, with my big feet and even bigger Sam Hill shoes. The Chesters are now reserved for my daughter, and her much tinier feet.

mtbr member
    I am now looking at the iSSi Stomp XL Flat Pedal, Black Sandblasted Anodized for my Surly LHT 26in 52cm 2008

iSSi Stomp XL Flat Pedal, Black Sandblasted Anodized

MSRP: $115.00

The Stomp XL pedals feature a truly concave body shape and proprietary pin profile, making these a leader in traction and feel. The pedals are an ideal option for those all-mountain, enduro and freeriding customers in your shop.
    Extra-large for maximum traction
    Bushing & bearing spindle configuration
    Replaceable, CroMoly steel spindles
    44 iSSi concave pedal pins (11 per side) and install tool included
    Best for shoes US size 10 and up
    Length: 120mm overall, 102mm pin-to-pin
    Width: 112.5mm (crank to outside pin), 94.5mm pin-to-pin
    Concave: 2mm, 7.2mm effective

Item Specifications
    Pedal Type: Platform
    Pedal Spindle: 9/16"
    Color: Black
    Spindle Material: Chromoly Steel
    Weight: 466
    Pedal Body Material: Aluminum
    takes a 6mm Hex pedal wrench
    iSSi unveils new Stomp XL and Flash III - Mtbr.com

Why Do Flat Pedals Cost So Darned Much-2126269014_d77c1594-ed9e-47a1-9a88-4647ff13b707.jpg
    Why Do Flat Pedals Cost So Darned Much-2126269014_4f6eefac-a4d3-4e0c-b72c-b7d17d045792.jpgWhy Do Flat Pedals Cost So Darned Much-large_134887_20180307045241.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkrmike View Post
    I have reached the same conclusions about the Chesters compared to the Kona Wah Wahs, in terms of platform size. Both are fine but I will be using the Wah Wahs, with my big feet and even bigger Sam Hill shoes. The Chesters are now reserved for my daughter, and her much tinier feet.
    This is good to know, big feet here too.

I would add that with all the good options for pedals around $50, make sure to get one of the models mentioned above that has rear loading pins. I bought some Wellgo MG1s years ago, before I knew better, and spent a long time with WD40, acetone, and finally vice grips, removing the 6mm outer pins, some of which I had smashed, and replacing them with 8mm (M4 set screws from McMaster-Carr). My time would have probably been better spening buying some Wah Wahs, but I don't like throwing out stuff I can fix.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by veloborealis View Post
    Chesters. Can't seem to break them after 1.5 years of hard riding. Hard pedal strike broke my carbon frame, but I'm still running the pedals on my new bike. Plastic takes a beating, the axles are tough, and have not lost a single pin. Bonus, I no longer cringe like I did while grinding my $100 pedals into rocks. Not bad for $50.
    Now I am wondering if pedal strikes with plastic pedals are gentler on your frame than the same pedal strikes with an alloy pedal, unless you are hitting the axle. Maybe it is a wash since platic pedals tend to be a few mm thicker at the axle...

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    As an added bonus, the Wah Wah 2s came with some extra shit from Kona and Sombrio...

Why Do Flat Pedals Cost So Darned Much-fullsizeoutput_2f.jpg

mtbr member
    that's what she said!

mtbr member
    As an added bonus, the Wah Wah 2s came with some extra shit from Kona and Sombrio...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fullsizeoutput_2f.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	132.3 KB 
ID:	1198137
    No fair! All I got with mine was some stickers. I would have loved to get the coffee cup.
    Change begins by doing something different.

mtbr member
    Just an update as far as the stamp 3s go. Coming from chesters. We rode a bunch of Wilson's creek in Pisgah this past weekend and wow what a difference in confidence these make so much more planted but still have ability to move around I felt the thin pins on the chesters really locked you in making it tricky to get your feet just right. This was really obvious if you had to stop on a steep descent and had to get going again I was able to adjust my feet as I was mounting the bike easier. My only gripe with these is they use long set screws for the pins so I'm curious how easy they will be to replace after a lot of pedal strikes and the top of the screw is bent up enough to not get an Allen wrench in there but for 60 bucks the quality is amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by huckleberry hound View Post
    No fair! All I got with mine was some stickers. I would have loved to get the coffee cup.
    ***off topic alert***

I got the stickers too!

The coffee cup was the least awesome. It's small and light. Too small and light. Looks and feels like a backpacker's espresso cup. Oh well.

I tried out the pint glasses last night. They work as advertised. Lol.

That Sombrio shirt...I now have 5 of them. Best ever. Can ride to work and then wear it straight off the bike and have people compliment me on it. Awesome in the mountains too. A nice stretchy material that is cool and comfy as hell. Those are my favourite shirts in my entire life.

***sidetrack officially over***

One ring to mash them all
    ***off topic alert***

I got the stickers too!

The coffee cup was the least awesome. It's small and light. Too small and light. Looks and feels like a backpacker's espresso cup. Oh well.

I tried out the pint glasses last night. They work as advertised. Lol.

That Sombrio shirt...I now have 5 of them. Best ever. Can ride to work and then wear it straight off the bike and have people compliment me on it. Awesome in the mountains too. A nice stretchy material that is cool and comfy as hell. Those are my favourite shirts in my entire life.

***sidetrack officially over***
    What the heck did you do to score all that?
    There are three things in the world that deserve no mercy, hypocrisy, fraud, and tyranny.
    - Frederick William Robertson

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    What the heck did you do to score all that?
    I paid for it. Lol.

mtbr member
    My Sun Ringle zuzu DH/BMX platform pedals is 10 year old on 11-2018 and I am thinking about getting a new pair of Sun Ringle zuzu DH platform Pedals on 7-2018
    and I thing it takes a 15mm wreach or 6mm Hex Pedal Tool
    https://youtu.be/odqS-6pf1a4

One ring to mash them all
    I paid for it. Lol.
    D'oh. "Added bonus" threw me off.
    There are three things in the world that deserve no mercy, hypocrisy, fraud, and tyranny.
    - Frederick William Robertson

100% PRIME ALBERTA BEEF
    Quote Originally Posted by the one ring View Post
    D'oh. "Added bonus" threw me off.
    Yeah. I took some liberties on that. Sorry about that.

mtbr member
    50$ with titanium spindle.
    so far good for my xc-like trails, havent noticed any flex (comparing to previous crankbrothers stamp l).

aaand for another 50$ full carbon saddle with PU foam/syntetic cover - really like it, stiff and comfy.

all thanks to the chinese comrades from ebay.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk