Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    nimble biker

why are bike shorts becoming so expensive?

sugoi short sell over 100 bucks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sugoi is one of the pricier brands ,you can find good shorts in 50 to 70$ range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, one reason mountain bike shorts are fairly expensive is that you are essentially buying two garments: a liner and a short.

AZ
    banned
    Niche market.

Gotta pay to play
    I buy the ones at Target. Cost $10- sometimes $5.

mtbr member
    They've always been expensive. I think I paid about $100 for a pair of Castelli bibs 30 years ago,

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I paid £35 for a pair of £80 Sombrio shorts, they're great quality and they have a liner but when you compare them to some of the top quality hiking shorts from Karrimor etc it's hard to see where the extra cost is. Beware of prestige pricing...

Prestige Pricing: Definition from Answers.com

psycho cyclo addict

Everything is more expensive.... The hitch rack I paid $395 for a couple of years ago is now over $500. On the high end shorts front- I really like Endura's for technical/rocky riding. I bought one pair with a $50 off certificate I won in a bike race... can't bring myself to pay full price for them.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There are many roadies in my town. They tend to clump together in their housing decisions, so I find a house full or roadies and do a bib collection, getting 7 or so pairs. While the colors are crazy, I ride in fancy shorts I would never want to pay full price for. Many of the shorts are close to new. I'm due for another collection in the next year or so, will be the third time in about 7 years. Fortunately the market for used shorts is thin, so they'll usually give me the shorts for free, and I'll just tip whoever brings them by my house. I guess it's not for everyone though...fortunately, or it wouldn't be free.

mtbr member

Try Voler.

I find their shorts are reasonable and you can get a very good pair for around $60. However, these are not baggies so if you are afraid of lycra, look elsewhere. Another plus in my book is that the product is made in California in case a USA made product is something that might interest you. I still have not worn out the two pair of Voler shorts I used regularly.

dwt
    mtbr member

I ride Lycra on the road and have a collection of old, fading and worn out ones. I ride baggies off road: For me personally they don't get hung up on my saddle like Lycra does; not to mention I'm a slave to fashion.

Totally agree that new baggies with padded chamois liners are over the top expensive. My solution is to wear the worn out Lycra shorts for the chamois underneath $15 OP board shorts from Wally World.

As far as road, you need really good pads for long rides. I have scored 3 pairs of new Hincapie bibs on eBay for $65/ea this spring. Should last me a good 3-4 years. They fit and feel great.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Chainlove has shorts on sale all the time. At 50%-75% off the price goes from ridiculous to reasonable.

El Gato Malo
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I find their shorts are reasonable and you can get a very good pair for around $60. However, these are not baggies so if you are afraid of lycra, look elsewhere. Another plus in my book is that the product is made in California in case a USA made product is something that might interest you. I still have not worn out the two pair of Voler shorts I used regularly.
    Second that on Voler, great company to deal with and a nice price range of lyrca to choose from.

mtbr member
    Competitive Cyclist has 21% off apparel & accessories through tomorrow 5/26 with promo code GIRO21.

(I'm not affiliated with them.)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Adjusted for inflation I don't think they are any more expensive now than what they were when I bought my first pair 13 years ago. There might be more expensive options, but comparing apples to apples, I don't think much has changed.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

sugoi short sell over 100 bucks

Not all of them, I have two pairs (lycra and baggies, and there were both close to $100 but not over.

Totally worth it, IMO. It's mostly due to the chamois, but the general construction is really good as well. I have yet to buy a pair of shorts for under $50 that I was really satisfied with on a long ride.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: why are bike shorts becoming so expensive?

Its because of the world chamois shortage, didn't you hear? Surveyors declared 'peak chamois production' in 2008, and since then, Chinese chamois mines have been drying up.

If geologists can't find new reserves or invent new exploration techniques, the world will be out of chamois in 2025, while demand from cyclists continues to increase. PM me to invest in my chamois hedge fund, its a sure thing!

nimble biker
    I managed to pay for a nice short from MEC for $70 bucks. woohoo.

Jonesin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Its because of the world chamois shortage, didn't you hear? Surveyors declared 'peak chamois production' in 2008, and since then, Chinese chamois mines have been drying up.

If geologists can't find new reserves or invent new exploration techniques, the world will be out of chamois in 2025, while demand from cyclists continues to increase. PM me to invest in my chamois hedge fund, its a sure thing!
    You obviously haven't heard of the chamois recycling programs being implemented as we speak by the big bike short factories. They send employees disguised as homeless cyclists into thrift stores and buy all the shorts they can, rip out the old chamois'es and send them to the factories for re-use. Word on the street is they plan to charge more for the recycled ones.
    Don't let it get you down, but there's a good chance you were an accident.
    2017 SC 5010

Plays with tools
    Shorts and preferably bibs are one place to not be a tight ass.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: why are bike shorts becoming so expensive?

I just ride with compression shorts under board shorts. Seems to work fine for me. Wont pay $70+ for a pair of shorts.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I just ride with compression shorts under board shorts. Seems to work fine for me. Wont pay $70+ for a pair of shorts.

You very well may change your mind if you ever use a quality pair of shorts or bibs.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    You very well may change your mind if you ever use a quality pair of shorts or bibs.
    Yep. It took me two years of regular riding before I tried a pair of real biking shorts, and I could have slapped myself for not doing it sooner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Shorts and preferably bibs are one place to not be a tight ass.
    But you look better if your ass is tight.

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more. I learned a long time ago that when you buy quality stuff, you never miss the money after the purchase. If you buy cheap stuff, every time you use it you wish you had something better, you usually end up buying something better, and in the end usually end up spending more than if you had just bought something good to start with.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    There's a difference between a 30 dollar shorts and a hundred dollar ones. If you don't mind showing off your butt crack, go for the cheaper ones as they are really thin. Only thing that pisses me off about the expensive ones is lycra is still lycra..one small snag and you might as well toss them out. They were my favorite pair too.

I just have a couple of chamois liners and wear them under my regular shorts now. They shouldn't cost so much but it's supply and demand.

mtbr member

Bike shorts (and clothing in general) are expensive because people get their collective panties in a bunch when textile factories in Bangladesh collapse. When the hand wringers among us demand higher wages and better working conditions for third world countries, it's going to make consumer goods, like clothing, cost a whole lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

dwt
    mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Brewtality View Post
    Bike shorts (and clothing in general) are expensive because people get their collective panties in a bunch when textile factories in Bangladesh collapse. When the hand wringers among us demand higher wages and better working conditions for third world countries, it's going to make consumer goods, like clothing, cost a whole lot more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I believe there is a forum appropriate for political rants, but it isn't this one. Nice try, though, making your righty tighty politics sound on topic.
    Last edited by dwt; 05-27-2013 at 02:50 PM.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

banned
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kapusta View Post
    Adjusted for inflation I don't think they are any more expensive now than what they were when I bought my first pair 13 years ago. There might be more expensive options, but comparing apples to apples, I don't think much has changed.

mtbr member
    I just wrap a binbag around my groin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It is inflation. Real inflation is supposed to be something like 9% a year now. Peoples wages just aren't going up with prices. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Oh, and Kucharik's has 6 panel bibs for like $45.

mtbr member
    Good chamois is good chamois.
    I'm afraid of heights so a 26'r fits me to a T.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yep. It took me two years of regular riding before I tried a pair of real biking shorts, and I could have slapped myself for not doing it sooner.
    Look, ....probably 80% of the cyclists in the entire world ride a bike to get from point A to point B, in regular clothing and on flat pedals.

Unless you're actually "racing", where even minute differences can make or break you in a race, i think it's nuts to spring for such things. The advertizer's sure can drain the dough from some folks.

The plain cotten Levi shorts i've chosen to wear (bought at the thrift stores usually),for years have worked fine for commutes up to between 25 to 50 miles.

I haven't done much over that, don't have a need or desire to at this point. Most of my commutes are between 8 to 10 miles a day,....even in the winter where i switch to Levi style pants, or the LL Bean lined with fleece jeans. (super for cold weather!)

With a pair of cotten briefs on under, and riding a well broken in Brooks B17 saddles,......i'm comfy and don't look like a cycling nerd walking into a Mall or food joint. (or hobbling in on clip on shoes)

I doubt i'll ever clip in either,....i'm 57 now and run just a 1987 era Shimano PD-M730 mountain bike wide flat pedal on 5 of my main bikes. In all that time, even running fixed gear at times, i've NEVER slipped and injured myself!

Simply put, i don't need or want all that cycling specific cr*p!

.......and can spend my dough on what i DO want and "need". (older US made titanium frames, and nicer but older componants at reasonable prices)

gobsmacked Moderator

Well. It's for more than just racers. Most of us ride bikes for longer distances and get sweatier than just our commute to work or to pick up a loaf of bread. A good pair of shorts is the only way to go unless you want to sit on a steak.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    ^ and how do you like your steak, rare?

gobsmacked Moderator

Yes, of course.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Well. It's for more than just racers. Most of us ride bikes for longer distances and get sweatier than just our commute to work or to pick up a loaf of bread. A good pair of shorts is the only way to go unless you want to sit on a steak.
    "Sit on a steak" LMAO!

Seriously,....around here where i live i regularly see clipped in and full kitted riders who i KNOW are just riding 10-20 miles a day to and from work. One guy works at a Burger King, and has to change both ways on arriving and again when leaving.

So unnecessary for that milage, but OK,....to avoid the steak in the shorts syndrome with LONG mileage involved, get all dandied up.

gobsmacked Moderator

So what? Good for the kid for riding to his job at Burger King.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So what? Good for the kid for riding to his job at Burger King.
    LOL,...the "kid" is like 45 years old and lived within 6 miles of work. But he does go out early for a 20 miler or so to get in shape.

In my mind still not enough to go through all the hassle.

gobsmacked Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by joejeweler View Post
    LOL,...the "kid" is like 45 years old.
    And....

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    And....
    I already gave you my "and" ...........

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Look, ....probably 80% of the cyclists in the entire world ride a bike to get from point A to point B, in regular clothing and on flat pedals.

Unless you're actually "racing", where even minute differences can make or break you in a race, i think it's nuts to spring for such things. The advertizer's sure can drain the dough from some folks.

The plain cotten Levi shorts i've chosen to wear (bought at the thrift stores usually),for years have worked fine for commutes up to between 25 to 50 miles.

I haven't done much over that, don't have a need or desire to at this point. Most of my commutes are between 8 to 10 miles a day,....even in the winter where i switch to Levi style pants, or the LL Bean lined with fleece jeans. (super for cold weather!)

With a pair of cotten briefs on under, and riding a well broken in Brooks B17 saddles,......i'm comfy and don't look like a cycling nerd walking into a Mall or food joint. (or hobbling in on clip on shoes)

I doubt i'll ever clip in either,....i'm 57 now and run just a 1987 era Shimano PD-M730 mountain bike wide flat pedal on 5 of my main bikes. In all that time, even running fixed gear at times, i've NEVER slipped and injured myself!

.......and can spend my dough on what i DO want and "need". (older US made titanium frames, and nicer but older componants at reasonable prices)
    Suite yourself. You won't miss what you don't know.

FWIW, I don't bother with cycling shorts for a 10 mile errand-ride either.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rangeriderdave View Post
    Sugoi is one of the pricier brands ,you can find good shorts in 50 to 70$ range.
    Sugoi makes the Neo Pro $50 and the RPM for $75. The Evolutions at $90 are probably the best bang/buck tho. I'm partial to the RS at $130 for long, hot road rides but in the dirt I'll run pretty much whatever as long as the holes aren't in the wrong places.

I've tried other brands but end up back at Sugoi. No brand loyalty, just how it is for me; YButtMV ...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Suite yourself. You won't miss what you don't know.

FWIW, I don't bother with cycling shorts for a 10 mile errand-ride either.
    You sound a little more balanced at least. Bet you still clip in though???

Seriously, i don't miss want i don't want either. For sure i have better things to spend money on than cycling specific clothing, which is overpriced considering most i've seen are made overseas.

And i don't miss not being clipped in either. The longtime owner of one of the local bikeshops had just recently begun to clip in himself, and was sort of pushing the idea on me. But he got along fine too for all of his almost 60 years without it! He'd probably still be using platforms, but how do you "sell" the public on such things when you don't use it yourself?

With how i ride and the distances involved, don't fix it if it ain't broke. More money going down into the cycling abiss pushed by the advertizers.

While pros might benefit/need these things considering the distances involved, i prefer to ride on a whim when i want to in what i'm wearing at the time and not have to dress up for the prom.

Like i said,....probably 80% of the world's riders who aren't racing ride in regular cloths and platform pedals. Been that way over 100 years.

By the way,.....here's a funny one for all you "clip joint" supporters., off the link below. Ben had a coming out, of sorts. (or shorts)

Can't happen with my securely belted on jeans or shorts. I carry my wallet ON my belt (custom made leather that snaps shut and holds credit cards and cash), as well as my cell phone on other side. Cycling shorts don't have belt loops as i recall.

Lovely Bicycle!: We All Fall Down?

BenJune 25, 2011 at 4:39 AM
    When I got my first clipless pedals, I was told that everyone falls once. Once is enough, evidently, but everyone has to fall once in order to learn.

I rode for a couple of weeks and racked up a couple of hundred kilometers and I thought I had the hang of it and that I'd gotten away with not falling. Then I slowed down at a stop sign without unclipping and thought I saw it was clear and was about to proceed when a car came into view. I hit the brakes and started teetering and went into a dramatic slow-motion struggle with my bike as I panicked and forgot how to unclip. In this struggle, I stood on my pedals and managed to hook the horn of my saddle on my cycling tights, which pulled my tights down, exposing my bare ass to the world.

Then I fell. I fell properly, apparently. I didn't stick my hand out to break my fall, which could have ended in a broken hand or arm or separated shoulder. I contacted the street with my meaty parts -- my thigh and my shoulder.

As I lay there with my shoes still clipped into my pedals and my bare left buttock in contact with the road, a helpful couple across the street shouted out, "are you okay?" I fell over myself assuring them that I was fine, and that they shouldn't come over to check on me.

Sure, it's humiliating, but it hurts less than you think. And your fall will probably be a lot less humiliating than mine was.

I've put well over 10,000 km on my bike and I've never fallen a second time. That lesson is learned.

since 4/10/2009
    You sound a little more balanced at least. Blah blah blah blah blah....
    Who cares? Sometimes I ride with chamois, sometimes not. I'm almost always more comfortable when I wear chamois. Especially when my rides go over 2 hours. Guess what, I've done a couple rides in excess of 6 hours this year. And it's even more comfortable for short rides, though my "don't bother" cutoff tends to be about 5 miles. The costs of changing shorts outweigh the benefits of the increased comfort below 5mi or so.

And guess what? I have some cheap chamois and some expensive chamois. The expensive chamois is more comfortable than the cheap chamois. Wow. Mind. Blown. Your retro grouch rants aren't going to change that, and neither will the marketing departments of any companies that make the shorts.

What irks me is that it's so hard to find a pair of baggies that fit well and are durable. Part of the problem is that so few bike shops around here carry a selection of baggies worth trying on. I might get ONE option at each shop, but frequently those options overlap between shops. And the apparel buyers seem to be clueless. I will pay for good clothes, but all too often baggies are either too loose and snag on stuff or they have a bad cut and are too tight in critical locations and restrict movement. I've been wearing the same pair of baggies for 8 years for this reason. Finding chamois that fits is easy and I have several pairs.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I don't clip in riding around town, that's for sure. I do clip in for longer road rides and mtb, though.

You make a good point about most people not riding in "cycling" clothing. However, I think that has more to do with the fact that worldwide, most people cycle simply as a way to get around (something I wish more folks did here in the US). Go to Copenhagen and you see the streets clogged with riders, all in street clothes. But then look at the folks who get more seriously into mtb or long road riding, and you will see more cycling specific stuff.

I think this goes to something I see as a little unfortunate with our biking culture here in the us, whether it be on pavement or dirt: people take it all a little too seriously. Being passionate about pushing limits and getting in shape is fine, except that it means that we tend not to just get on a bike in flip-flops, jeans and t-shirt and ride across town to do our business. Everything always needs to be "extreme", or "training", or a competition. All those things are fine, but I feel like a lot of joy gets lost thinking that you need to be really serious about the "sport" to be a "cyclist". It's like, if there is no adrenaline involved, what's the point?

One of my greatest joys on a bike is just tooling around a city (usually New York) on a comfortable bike in street clothes.

However, keep in mind this is an MTB site. And for most of us, intense riding (whether it be up, down, or both) is at least part of the passion. And when you look at a road biking site, it's the same thing. And when that is what you are doing, things like a chamois make a difference in my experience.

I've tried a Brooks saddle. My issue was more to do with it just being too big for technical riding. I can see it being great for my commuter for around-town tolling when I don't bother with a chamois. Some might be true of my longer road rides (I see loads of guys spend long days on those with no chamois), but I already have the chamois, so I don't really see the point.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    @ NateHawk

If you're going to quote someone on a forum, it's really lame to add into said quote something that was NOT said by the person being quoted.

Add your "....Bla bla bla bla bla...." if you will, but for sure don't attribute such moronic sentiments to me.

Thank you.

I don't clip in riding around town, that's for sure. I do clip in for longer road rides and mtb, though.

You make a good point about most people not riding in "cycling" clothing. However, I think that has more to do with the fact that worldwide, most people cycle simply as a way to get around (something I wish more folks did here in the US). Go to Copenhagen and you see the streets clogged with riders, all in street clothes. But then look at the folks who get more seriously into mtb or long road riding, and you will see more cycling specific stuff.

I think this goes to something I see as a little unfortunate with our biking culture here in the us, whether it be on pavement or dirt: people take it all a little too seriously. Being passionate about pushing limits and getting in shape is fine, except that it means that we tend not to just get on a bike in flip-flops, jeans and t-shirt and ride across town to do our business. Everything always needs to be "extreme", or "training", or a competition. All those things are fine, but I feel like a lot of joy gets lost thinking that you need to be really serious about the "sport" to be a "cyclist". It's like, if there is no adrenaline involved, what's the point?

One of my greatest joys on a bike is just tooling around a city (usually New York) on a comfortable bike in street clothes.

However, keep in mind this is an MTB site. And for most of us, intense riding (whether it be up, down, or both) is at least part of the passion. And when you look at a road biking site, it's the same thing. And when that is what you are doing, things like a chamois make a difference in my experience.

I've tried a Brooks saddle. My issue was more to do with it just being too big for technical riding. I can see it being great for my commuter for around-town tolling when I don't bother with a chamois. Some might be true of my longer road rides (I see loads of guys spend long days on those with no chamois), but I already have the chamois, so I don't really see the point.
    Some good points also, and i suppose as most of my riding involves mostly shooting around town, i will admit i have a more limited need than some of the other riders.

BTW,....Brooks does make much thinner/smaller saddles than the B17 i prefer. The Brooks "Swallow" and a few others are much thinner and more suitable for racing. Once you get up around 175 lbs,.....they just don't work as well for some of us. The last thing i want, though, is "fanny-floss"!

The link below shows some of that line:

BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | SADDLES | ROAD+&+MTB

since 4/10/2009
    @ NateHawk

If you're going to quote someone on a forum, it's really lame to add into said quote something that was NOT said by the person being quoted.

Add your "....Bla bla bla bla bla...." if you will, but for sure don't attribute such moronic sentiments to me.

Thank you.
    I was summarizing, because that's what it sounded like to me.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    I've looked at the narrower Brooks. Still too wide for my MTB needs. I like to run a pretty narrow saddle. Easier to move around.

Plus, I don't want to have to worry about a Brooks on my MTB. Real leather has not held up long term on my mtb saddles.

mtbr member

You think shorts are expensive try buying them for a Clyde
    Chances are .. You're full of !$@&?

gobsmacked Moderator

@ NateHawk

Thank you.

Some good points also, and i suppose as most of my riding involves mostly shooting around town, i will admit i have a more limited need than some of the other riders.

BTW,....Brooks does make much thinner/smaller saddles than the B17 i prefer. The Brooks "Swallow" and a few others are much thinner and more suitable for racing. Once you get up around 175 lbs,.....they just don't work as well for some of us. The last thing i want, though, is "fanny-floss"!

The link below shows some of that line:

BROOKS ENGLAND LTD. | SADDLES | ROAD+&+MTB
    It's so nice that you are taking the time to answer everybody. You could always just bike naked. That way you can lord it over all of us for eternity.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    It's so nice that you are taking the time to answer everybody. You could always just bike naked. That way you can lord it over all of us for eternity.

Ummm,.....i will if you will.

.....and dig me all you want,...i have broad shoulders.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I've looked at the narrower Brooks. Still too wide for my MTB needs. I like to run a pretty narrow saddle. Easier to move around.

Plus, I don't want to have to worry about a Brooks on my MTB. Real leather has not held up long term on my mtb saddles.
    Just curious why leather has not held up for you on a MTB? You must be a small framed lighter rider also.

Leather (the solid version, not thin leather over padding) is usually considered about the longest lasting material you can use. Barring getting it soaking wet regularly, or maybe going down a lot,....i don't see where a synthetic covered seat would hold up better?

As i recall, the Brooks use a solid 5mm thick piece of leather. Never had an issue with the 6 Brooks saddles i own, but i do use a cover in the rain and it's been 25 years since i went down. (my own fault doing a wheelie and coming down cross wheeled)

........just trying to figure out where your issues (besides width maybe) are coming from?

VENI VEDI BIKI
    My solution: Nice lycra and cheap board shorts. I 100% agree that nice lycra will save your a$$--literally. I have one pair of "expensive" MTB shorts. After 6 months, the a$$ tore a big hole from being rubbed by the seat too much. Going back to my cheap target short for my outers.
    Veni Vidi Biki

I came, I saw, I biked.

Killer b.
    LOL,...the "kid" is like 45 years old and lived within 6 miles of work. But he does go out early for a 20 miler or so to get in shape.

In my mind still not enough to go through all the hassle.
    Everything you've said in this thread has been spoken like a true retrogrouch. And it does very much come across as "blah blah blah.... I don't like anything new.... blah blah blah."

I ride to work most days and arrive either sweaty and wet, or wet from the rain. Maybe if I rode like you I would arrive dry, clean, and smelling of roses, I don't know. But I don't. I like having my junk cradled by chamois while on the bike, my feet securely clipped to the pedals, and having something dry to change into on arrival. You say not worth the effort. I say otherwise. And that is just for my commute. I won't even start on my mountain biking.

NateHawk: have a look at these. Made by riders for riders.

mountain bike shorts
    team them up with
    Cruiseliner DeLuxe - Shorts - Nzo Products

Picard, if Sugoi can sell a pair of shorts for over a hundred dollars it is simply because the demand is there.The investment in a high quality product that lasts, pays off over time. My father has a pair of the Dobie shorts linked above that he has ridden off-road in for nearly ten years.
    Posting on the basis that ignorance shared is ignorance doubled.

AZ
    banned

Double face palm.

Oh and bibs for the win.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Double face palm.

Oh and bibs for the win.
    At least when i post i offer SOMETHING in the post. Always amazes me when folks want to attack you for using common sense and not getting sucked into all the advertizing hype.

Folks rode bikes over 100 years just fine, without having their junk carressed in chamois or lycra,...geeze.

Only "bibs for the win" you'll need are real ones to catch the drool off the corner of your mouth.

BTW,....the REAL answer why most anything is getting so expensive (including these glorified shorts), lies right at the feet of the nitwit in the oval office.

You can't create money out of thin air and expect the dollars remaining in your pockets to be worth much. He doubled the nationional debt in his 1st term, will probably double it again before he's done.

EQUALS = == === ======> NEAR WORTHLESS $$$$

Better buy gold and silver, or stock up on the Chinese Renminbi, if you want to save for the future. The dollar is toast!

Killer b.
    At least when i post i offer SOMETHING in the post.
    You're funny.

AZ
    banned
    At least when i post i offer SOMETHING in the post. Always amazes me when folks want to attack you for using common sense and not getting sucked into all the advertizing hype.

You offer pompous, ego centric opinion, professing to know what is best for all of us. Stuff it.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    I see this thread had turned political...

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by The Understater View Post
    NateHawk: have a look at these. Made by riders for riders.

mountain bike shorts
    team them up with
    Cruiseliner DeLuxe - Shorts - Nzo Products
    Thanks for those links. Those Dobies look good. Too bad there's nowhere to try them on. The shorts I have (and like) make good use of stretchy fabric to avoid restricted movement.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You offer pompous, ego centric opinion, professing to know what is best for all of us. Stuff it.
    You offer nothing contributory with your childish gonna "palm slap" me BS comments to the thread,.....so why don't YOU stuff it. I have a great idea where too. If you need a hint PM me and i'll draw you a map.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawg View Post
    Nothing political about explaining the "why" as to the OP's question. Our money is crap now and getting worse. Thank the fools who voted for round two of the same idiocy.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Nothing political about explaining the "why" as to the OP's question. Our money is crap now and getting worse. Thank the fools who voted for round two of the same idiocy.
    OK, you've made your point. Enough now. The sun hasn't exploded yet, we haven't been hit by a giant asteroid, the walls of your home haven't collapsed, and your car's engine hasn't thrown a rod.

I didn't do it
    blah, blah, blah,.....so why don't YOU stuff it. I have a great idea where too. If you need a hint PM me and i'll draw you a map.
    No, YOU stuff it.

Killer b.
    You offer nothing contributory with your childish gonna "palm slap" me BS comments to the thread,.....so why don't YOU stuff it. I have a great idea where too. If you need a hint PM me and i'll draw you a map.

Just curious here....
    By your own admission your riding mostly consists of zooming around town, so why are you here telling a forum full of mountain bike enthusiasts that since you don't wear chamois, we don't need to either?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    OK, you've made your point. Enough now. The sun hasn't exploded yet, we haven't been hit by a giant asteroid, the walls of your home haven't collapsed, and your car's engine hasn't thrown a rod.
    Funny thing is, those same things won't happen either if you don't have a pair of those fancy cycling duds under your cheeks.

Just curious here....
    By your own admission your riding mostly consists of zooming around town, so why are you here telling a forum full of mountain bike enthusiasts that since you don't wear chamois, we don't need to either?
    That's partly true now, but it's not like i haven't ever taken to the woods. I got along fine when i was younger back in 1987 riding my RIGID Schwinn Cimarron MTB.

I still have that bike, and with all the suspension choices now offered i find it really funny you equate a "need" to wearing a chamois. I'd say it might even have been of MORE benefit back in the day.

Back then i do recall developing a callous on my assous.

What do cycling shorts have to do with this whole thing???
    Exactly the same thought i had when i read your post earlier.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Funny thing is, those same things won't happen either if you don't have a pair of those fancy cycling duds under your cheeks.
    What do cycling shorts have to do with this whole thing???

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey joejeweler..being right is not the most important thing here..if you need some information from here it might be better if you had some green chicklets. Some one with the info you need might hold back. If some want to wear girdles and thigh highs, like some here, you tell them they look and smell good. Ya gotta work it a little ya know..
    lean forward

****** to the dirt
    Just curious here....
    OI second this, most of the people here spend at least a few hours or more on their bikes, if you don't and don't care what you wear fine but don't be a pompas a$$ and tell people here that they don't need to wear bibs or biking shorts. They make the ride more comfortable and as for you saying that people were riding for 100s of years with out them well, people were riding horses for 100s of years. So does that mean we all should turn in our cars and just get horses?
    Quote Originally Posted by Optimus View Post
    There's some strange folk out there 'bouts. They have no sense of humor.
    My Blog

Killer b.

That's partly true now, but it's not like i haven't ever taken to the woods. I got along fine when i was younger back in 1987 riding my RIGID Schwinn Cimarron MTB.

I still have that bike, and with all the suspension choices now offered i find it really funny you equate a "need" to wearing a chamois. I'd say it might even have been of MORE benefit back in the day.
    so what other stuff do you hate?
    disk brakes?
    carbon fiber?
    suspension?
    dropper posts?
    people generally?

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Exactly the same thought i had when i read your post earlier.
    I was replying to your political opinion which has nothing to do with this thread which about the cost of cycling shorts.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    so what other stuff do you hate?
    disk brakes?
    carbon fiber?
    suspension?
    dropper posts?
    people generally?
    I will answer for him:

1) LIFE
    2) everything else after that...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by deke505 View Post
    OI second this, most of the people here spend at least a few hours or more on their bikes, if you don't and don't care what you wear fine but don't be a pompas a$$ and tell people here that they don't need to wear bibs or biking shorts. They make the ride more comfortable and as for you saying that people were riding for 100s of years with out them well, people were riding horses for 100s of years. So does that mean we all should turn in our cars and just get horses?
    Seriously, with all the comfort of full suspension you're going to emphasize the "need" to make your ride more comfortable? And more name calling of course.

Never said you all couldn't wear what you want either,.....just that it's not the end of the world if you don't have or can't afford the latest specialized cycling shorts or bibs.

Babies need bibs too, but my arse on a rigid frame (road or trail) for 30+ years doesn't.

Binned
    Nov 2008
    Seriously, with all the comfort of full suspension you're going to emphasize the "need" to make your ride more comfortable?
    Absolutely. I happen to be quite arthritic so I need all the comfort the industry can supply. Surely, you can't call me wrong for my reasoning?

AZ
    banned
    but my arse on a rigid frame (road or trail) for 30+ years doesn't.

Freakin newb,

I didn't do it
    Seriously, with all the comfort of full suspension you're going to emphasize the "need" to make your ride more comfortable? And more name calling of course.

Never said you all couldn't wear what you want either,.....just that it's not the end of the world if you don't have or can't afford the latest specialized cycling shorts or bibs.

Babies need bibs too, but my arse on a rigid frame (road or trail) for 30+ years doesn't.
    Uh, suspension has nothing to do with sore sit bones. And we get it, you have an ass of steel-fine. Now go put your Levis on and ride your bike and leave us alone.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Absolutely. I happen to be quite arthritic so I need all the comfort the industry can supply. Surely, you can't call me wrong for my reasoning?
    Well, can't fault you there. I ride upright because of arthritis in my neck, and the last 2 years fighting right shoulder calcified rotator cuff tendonitus. The worse pain you can imagine, but on a bike i can take my mind off it for awhile. I had a shot of cortezone last week and it helps a little.

I still have about 35 Physical therepy sessions scheduled (3 days a week) before they'll consider surgery. I swear the PT's have to be into S&M!

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Just got Ultra bibs from Performance. ~$60 on sale, very nice.

For image challenged they have some decent baggies for not too much.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    Not everybody has such a puffy gelly arse to cushion the blows.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    Not everybody has such a puffy gelly arse to cushion the blows.
    Built fjord tough baby,..... rock hard glouts!

Btw, i had to laugh when i looked up cycling bib shorts online.

Cycling shorts - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Part of the reason cited for their use was :

Quote: "Bib shorts are well-suited to tall riders and riders with protruding stomachs because regular shorts can tend to fall down in the back while riding."

Also mentioned:

"Cycling shorts (also known as bike shorts, bicycling shorts or knicks) are short, skin-tight legwear designed to improve comfort and efficiency while cycling.[1] They:

reduce wind resistance, increasing aerodynamic efficiency;

protect the skin against the repetitive friction of the legs against the bicycle seat or frame;

provide support to the male anatomy analogously to a jock strap;

draw sweat away from the skin to prevent chafing and rashes, and to cool the rider down through the process of evaporation;

compress the legs, which can help combat muscular fatigue; and reduce the weight of a rider's clothing (compared to wearing denim, gym shorts or baggy shorts).

improve comfort during long rides with extra padding in the seat area"

(end quotes)

NOW, i ask you,....WHO is likely to have a " puffy gelly arse "?

Someone who gets all padded up around the nether region,....or someone not padding his shorts?
    Last edited by joejeweler; 08-20-2013 at 08:50 PM.

mtbr member
    In short it is quitw simpily beacuse they know you need it.
    "If you have built castles in the air, that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."
    -Thoreau

mtbr member

BTW,....Brooks does make much thinner/smaller saddles than the B17 i prefer. The Brooks "Swallow"

All this talk about how hard your arse is and the swallow, maybe you should try a new forum
    I'm sick of all the Irish stereotypes, as soon as I finish this beer I"m punching someone

mtbr member
    Nov 2012

Joe the Plumber turned Joe the Jewler?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiantsfan View Post
    BTW,....Brooks does make much thinner/smaller saddles than the B17 i prefer. The Brooks "Swallow"

All this talk about how hard your arse is and the swallow, maybe you should try a new forum
    I'll leave the swallow to you, you're used to it wisea$$.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBitey View Post
    Joe the Plumber turned Joe the Jewler?
    It's spelled "Jeweler" , and it's in my name here,....and you STILL can't spell it! And i'm not jewish either, if that's what you were implying.

Unreal.........

Get back to talking about your padded shorts,...and when you get old the transition to a diaper won't feel too "mush" different.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Cheap, padded Lycra, under Cargo/Bermuda shorts works for me.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Killer b.

Unreal.........

I concur.

~Disc~Golf~
    T Jefferson for Prez!!
    Honestly... ahh I give up

Axe
    Custom User Title
    NOW, i ask you,....WHO is likely to have a " puffy gelly arse "?
    A person who does not need chamois and tight shorts (and some butt lube) to ride for hours on a proper performance saddle is likely to have a puffy gelly arse.

Hard ass needs proper support and cushion.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Just curious why leather has not held up for you on a MTB? You must be a small framed lighter rider also.

Leather (the solid version, not thin leather over padding) is usually considered about the longest lasting material you can use. Barring getting it soaking wet regularly, or maybe going down a lot,....i don't see where a synthetic covered seat would hold up better?

As i recall, the Brooks use a solid 5mm thick piece of leather. Never had an issue with the 6 Brooks saddles i own, but i do use a cover in the rain and it's been 25 years since i went down. (my own fault doing a wheelie and coming down cross wheeled)

........just trying to figure out where your issues (besides width maybe) are coming from?
    My "issue" is that I don't see any need or want for a heavy-ass saddle that costs a lot of money and I need to take extra care of and is not as comfortable or functional for mountain biking as the ones I already use.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Axe View Post
    A person who does not need chamois and tight shorts (and some butt lube) to ride for hours on a proper performance saddle is likely to have a puffy gelly arse.

Hard ass needs proper support and cushion.
    A well broken in Brooks B17 saddle (or similar) is ALL the support/padding you need. With few exceptions (odd bone structure perhaps?), that's the case for most folks.

However, i must admit i did feel a little extra comfort when i installed a used Kent Eriksen titanium seatpost a month ago. And my most used Dean Colonal Ti frame helps. But my tires are wide for road tires, but narrow for dirt. (700 x 32 front and 1.50 x 26 rear) Enough comfort in total, with good rolling speed and acceleration. (Built up into a 21 pound single speed)

Your sitbones are sore at first no matter what saddle you start with. With a good saddle that's broken in that soreness goes away quicky, and your sit bones and "meat" surrounding them toughen up.

Keep padding yourself for cushy rides and you'll never really toughen up to the same extent a rigid rider will wearing regular cloths. You simply impede the hardening process.

If you could play guitar with protective and padded gloved, your fingertips would not develope the protective callouses either. Construction workers get hardened hands for a reason,.....it protects them and allows them to work without getting blisters and such.
    Much like playing guitar where your fingers need time to callous up and protect you from discomfort, your sit bone region needs riding time without being pampered too much..

I'll add that over eating is liking the cause for most puffy gelly arse, and not the lack of unpadded shorts!

My "issue" is that I don't see any need or want for a heavy-ass saddle that costs a lot of money and I need to take extra care of and is not as comfortable or functional for mountain biking as the ones I already use.
    There are lighter titanium railed leather saddles that aren't to bad in weight, but when i see FS bikes weighing 32 pounds and my singlespeed weighs just 21.8 pounds i have to laugh at bringing up "weight". Lots of ways to remove weight.....

A good saddle seems to cost less than what some of these cycling shorts were priced at, (i bought one Brooks B17 "aged" for $97 as i recall), and i'd for sure bet the saddle will long outlive a pair of shorts!

.....and most anything on your bike needs proper care, so once a year using the proofide leather conditioner and keeping the saddle from a bad water soaking is not exactly what i consider a great deal of work.

~Disc~Golf~
    ... biking as the ones I already use.
    not to mention, 'ready to use'

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    BTW,....the REAL answer why most anything is getting so expensive (including these glorified shorts), lies right at the feet of the nitwit in the oval office.

You can't create money out of thin air and expect the dollars remaining in your pockets to be worth much. He doubled the nationional debt in his 1st term, will probably double it again before he's done.

EQUALS = == === ======> NEAR WORTHLESS $$$$

Better buy gold and silver, or stock up on the Chinese Renminbi, if you want to save for the future. The dollar is toast!
    You need to learn how the Fed controls the money supply. You are under the (sadly) common misconception that they just print money and use it to pay the bills, or just go drop bags of it on the street corner. it does not work like that.

A simple look at inflation rates over the past few years (since "quantitative easing" started) in comparison to historic averages over the past few decades blows your theory right out of the water that anything done in the past few years has caused greater inflation, because there IS no greater inflation. Inflation is actually on the (slightly) LOW side lately.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    You need to learn how the Fed controls the money supply. You are under the (sadly) common misconception that they just print money and use it to pay the bills, or just go drop bags of it on the street corner. it does not work like that.

A simple look at inflation rates over the past few years (since "quantitative easing" started) in comparison to historic averages pretty much blows your theory right out of the water that anything done in the past few years has caused greater inflation, because there IS no greater inflation. Inflation is actually on the low side lately.
    The "Fed" (Federal Reserve) has NOTHING to do with the US Federal Government, most US citizens don't even know that simple fact,...probably even you!

It is in fact a private corporation that was set up in a secret meeting on Jekyl Island decades ago. When the US Government transfered the creation of "money" to a private corporation, that actually broke Constitutional Law! Another fact most are unaware of.

Constitutional law also dictated that ONLY gold and silver were to be considered "money", but of course you just can't print gold and silver. So in steps this bogus private corporation and the money supply has never stood still.

"Real" inflation was non-existant for almost the first 200 years of this country while we were on the gold and silver standards,....that's a fact! (when gold and silver were the money in use)

Only after we bastardized the Constitution and illegally transfered the country's oversight of money creation to a private entity did real inflation begin to get out of control.

If you honestly think the inflation figures "reported" are the real world ACTUAL figures, then you are a fool. The government doesn't include food and energy price increases in the inflation figures, and have hidden some figures all together.

They simply can't afford to pay the much higher cost of living increases retired folks should be getting, OR more realistic interest rates on US treasuries, so the super low rate of inflation and low Federally influenced interest rates are the only way to get away with this farce.

Better do some research before you speak out on this subject!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    The "Fed" (Federal Reserve) has NOTHING to do with the US Federal Government, most US citizens don't even know that simple fact,...probably even you!

It is in fact a private corporation that was set up in a secret meeting on Jekyl Island decades ago. When the US Government transfered the creation of "money" to a private corporation, that actually broke Constitutional Law! Another fact most are unaware of.

Constitutional law also dictated that ONLY gold and silver were to be considered "money", but of course you just can't print gold and silver. So in steps this bogus private corporation and the money supply has never stood still.

"Real" inflation was non-existant for almost the first 200 years of this country,....that's a fact! (when gold and silver were the money in use) Only after we bastardized the Constitution and illegally transfered the country's oversight of money creation to a private entity did real inflation begin to get out of control.

If you honestly think the inflation figures "reported" are the real world ACTUAL figures, then you are a fool. The government doesn't include food and energy price increases in the inflation figures, and have hidden some figures all together.

They simply can't afford to pay the much higher cost of living increases retired folks should be getting, so the super low rate of inflation is the only way to get away with this farce.
    The sheer amount of mis-information and irrelevant arguments is so rich here I can't even begin to respond

FWIW, YOU are the one that claimed the guy in the oval office was responsible for the printing of money

But I gotta give you kudos for some Class A trolling You caught a lot of us.

Killer b.
    So much butt-hurt in this thread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    People didn't wipe their ass for 1000s of years, but I
    like toilet paper.

Axe
    Custom User Title
    A well broken in Brooks B17 saddle (or similar) is ALL the support/padding you need.
    B17 saddle sucks. It is pretty much impossible to get behind it in technical sections, it is impossible to shift weight around for extended climbing, and it is of an absolutely wrong shape for an aggressive riding position for anybody with balls of a size more that a pepper corn.. All that does not matter to you as you ride bike paths in shorts and flip flops with a puffy gelly arse of yours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    The sheer amount of mis-information and irrelevant arguments is so rich here I can't even begin to respond

But I gotta give you kudos for some Class A trolling You caught a lot of us.
    Please explain with specifics what you disagree with,....PLEASE!

Are you saying the Federal Reserve IS not a private corporation? Other than the President's "appointment" of the chairman of the Fed,.....this PRIVATE corporation is free to run the money supply creation. They get a "cut" out of every dollar produced also,....didn't know that either i bet.

So enlighten me with specifics! Name calling is what stuttering fools do when they don't have the facts to present.

Quote Originally Posted by John Kuhl View Post
    People didn't wipe their ass for 1000s of years, but I
    like toilet paper.
    Not true, people for sure wiped their ass, but it wasn't as neat or easy. Outhouses often had a separate washcloth on a labled hook that the "user" was supposed to maintain and clean. Nothing like a family member forgetting to clean theirs and using someone elses!

.........but maybe your ancesters told you different what they did!

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Please explain with specifics what you disagree with,....PLEASE!

Are you saying the Federal Reserve IS not a private corporation? Other than the President's "appointment" of the chairman of the Fed,.....this PRIVATE corporation is free to run the money supply creation. They get a "cut" out of every dollar produced also,....didn't know that either i bet.

So enlighten me with specifics!
    Not incorrect, but utterly irrelevant to any topic you were attempting to address.

FWIW, YOU are the one that laid the blame for Fed policy on the guy in the oval office. Doh!!

~Disc~Golf~

A simple look at inflation rates over the past few years (since "quantitative easing" started) in comparison to historic averages over the past few decades blows your theory right out of the water that anything done in the past few years has caused greater inflation, because there IS no greater inflation. Inflation is actually on the (slightly) LOW side lately.
    This is quite startling to many (I was in the 'estimated' group for sure)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QPKKQnijnsM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kinda relavant (actually really with every product) I mean, since we aren't on bike-shorts any more

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast