Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    nimble biker

why are bike shorts becoming so expensive?

sugoi short sell over 100 bucks

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Sugoi is one of the pricier brands ,you can find good shorts in 50 to 70$ range.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Well, one reason mountain bike shorts are fairly expensive is that you are essentially buying two garments: a liner and a short.

AZ
    banned
    Niche market.

Gotta pay to play
    I buy the ones at Target. Cost $10- sometimes $5.

mtbr member
    They've always been expensive. I think I paid about $100 for a pair of Castelli bibs 30 years ago,

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I paid 35 for a pair of 80 Sombrio shorts, they're great quality and they have a liner but when you compare them to some of the top quality hiking shorts from Karrimor etc it's hard to see where the extra cost is. Beware of prestige pricing...

Prestige Pricing: Definition from Answers.com

psycho cyclo addict

Everything is more expensive.... The hitch rack I paid $395 for a couple of years ago is now over $500. On the high end shorts front- I really like Endura's for technical/rocky riding. I bought one pair with a $50 off certificate I won in a bike race... can't bring myself to pay full price for them.
    【ツ】 eDub 【ツ】

mtbr member
    May 2011
    There are many roadies in my town. They tend to clump together in their housing decisions, so I find a house full or roadies and do a bib collection, getting 7 or so pairs. While the colors are crazy, I ride in fancy shorts I would never want to pay full price for. Many of the shorts are close to new. I'm due for another collection in the next year or so, will be the third time in about 7 years. Fortunately the market for used shorts is thin, so they'll usually give me the shorts for free, and I'll just tip whoever brings them by my house. I guess it's not for everyone though...fortunately, or it wouldn't be free.

mtbr member

Try Voler.

I find their shorts are reasonable and you can get a very good pair for around $60. However, these are not baggies so if you are afraid of lycra, look elsewhere. Another plus in my book is that the product is made in California in case a USA made product is something that might interest you. I still have not worn out the two pair of Voler shorts I used regularly.

dwt
    mtbr member

I ride Lycra on the road and have a collection of old, fading and worn out ones. I ride baggies off road: For me personally they don't get hung up on my saddle like Lycra does; not to mention I'm a slave to fashion.

Totally agree that new baggies with padded chamois liners are over the top expensive. My solution is to wear the worn out Lycra shorts for the chamois underneath $15 OP board shorts from Wally World.

As far as road, you need really good pads for long rides. I have scored 3 pairs of new Hincapie bibs on eBay for $65/ea this spring. Should last me a good 3-4 years. They fit and feel great.
    Old enough to know better. And old enough not to care. Best age to be.

mtbr member
    Chainlove has shorts on sale all the time. At 50%-75% off the price goes from ridiculous to reasonable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev Bubba View Post
    I find their shorts are reasonable and you can get a very good pair for around $60. However, these are not baggies so if you are afraid of lycra, look elsewhere. Another plus in my book is that the product is made in California in case a USA made product is something that might interest you. I still have not worn out the two pair of Voler shorts I used regularly.
    Second that on Voler, great company to deal with and a nice price range of lyrca to choose from.

mtbr member
    Competitive Cyclist has 21% off apparel & accessories through tomorrow 5/26 with promo code GIRO21.

(I'm not affiliated with them.)

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Adjusted for inflation I don't think they are any more expensive now than what they were when I bought my first pair 13 years ago. There might be more expensive options, but comparing apples to apples, I don't think much has changed.
    15mm is a second-best solution to a problem that was already solved.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post

sugoi short sell over 100 bucks

Not all of them, I have two pairs (lycra and baggies, and there were both close to $100 but not over.

Totally worth it, IMO. It's mostly due to the chamois, but the general construction is really good as well. I have yet to buy a pair of shorts for under $50 that I was really satisfied with on a long ride.

> /dev/null 2&>1

Re: why are bike shorts becoming so expensive?

Its because of the world chamois shortage, didn't you hear? Surveyors declared 'peak chamois production' in 2008, and since then, Chinese chamois mines have been drying up.

If geologists can't find new reserves or invent new exploration techniques, the world will be out of chamois in 2025, while demand from cyclists continues to increase. PM me to invest in my chamois hedge fund, its a sure thing!
    ------------------------------------------------
    They're justified and they're ancient and they like to roam the land

nimble biker
    I managed to pay for a nice short from MEC for $70 bucks. woohoo.

Jonesin'
    Quote Originally Posted by ddprocter View Post
    Its because of the world chamois shortage, didn't you hear? Surveyors declared 'peak chamois production' in 2008, and since then, Chinese chamois mines have been drying up.

If geologists can't find new reserves or invent new exploration techniques, the world will be out of chamois in 2025, while demand from cyclists continues to increase. PM me to invest in my chamois hedge fund, its a sure thing!
    You obviously haven't heard of the chamois recycling programs being implemented as we speak by the big bike short factories. They send employees disguised as homeless cyclists into thrift stores and buy all the shorts they can, rip out the old chamois'es and send them to the factories for re-use. Word on the street is they plan to charge more for the recycled ones.
    Never be the path of least resistance.

"You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel." -Simply Weasels

Plays with tools
    Shorts and preferably bibs are one place to not be a tight ass.

Kitty! Kitty! Kitty!

Re: why are bike shorts becoming so expensive?

I just ride with compression shorts under board shorts. Seems to work fine for me. Wont pay $70+ for a pair of shorts.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GelatiCruiser View Post
    I just ride with compression shorts under board shorts. Seems to work fine for me. Wont pay $70+ for a pair of shorts.

You very well may change your mind if you ever use a quality pair of shorts or bibs.

Bicyclochondriac.
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty $anchez View Post
    You very well may change your mind if you ever use a quality pair of shorts or bibs.
    Yep. It took me two years of regular riding before I tried a pair of real biking shorts, and I could have slapped myself for not doing it sooner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    Shorts and preferably bibs are one place to not be a tight ass.
    But you look better if your ass is tight.

Seriously though, I couldn't agree more. I learned a long time ago that when you buy quality stuff, you never miss the money after the purchase. If you buy cheap stuff, every time you use it you wish you had something better, you usually end up buying something better, and in the end usually end up spending more than if you had just bought something good to start with.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

mtbr member
    There's a difference between a 30 dollar shorts and a hundred dollar ones. If you don't mind showing off your butt crack, go for the cheaper ones as they are really thin. Only thing that pisses me off about the expensive ones is lycra is still lycra..one small snag and you might as well toss them out. They were my favorite pair too.

I just have a couple of chamois liners and wear them under my regular shorts now. They shouldn't cost so much but it's supply and demand.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast