Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Why aren't titanium seatposts more popular?

Why aren't titanium seatposts more popular? They're light and strong. I don't feel comfortable using my quick release to adjust my carbon fiber seatpost while riding, but I would if I had a titanium seatpost. I just built a new bike I'm very happy with that has a cheap seatpost while I figure out if I want a Ti seatpost, carbon seatpost or dropper (which I don't think I do). I'm posting to see if there's something I don't know. Some performance reason titanium seatposts aren't more popular that I'm not yet aware of.
    2014 Horsethief, 2013 Karakoram, NB-AT3, 2006 Giant XtC

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cost. I use a Moots setback. Great post.

mtbr member
    Most folks that would spend $250+ on a seatpost would get a dropper, and many wouldn't spend that much.

Ti posts are great though. I had a Syncos back in the day. It made me feel like I was running 10 psi in my rear tire.

Edit: Is this for a full suspension bike? I was thinking hardtail. Not worth it on a dually, imo
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member

Just get a Thomson masterpiece post and do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Re: Why aren't titanium seatposts more popular?

Quote Originally Posted by Raleighguy29 View Post
    Just get a Thomson masterpiece post and do it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thomsons are the harshest riding posts I have used, slip more than most, and the Masterpiece is too short for most of my bikes.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Thomsons are the harshest riding posts I have used, slip more than most, and the Masterpiece is too short for most of my bikes.
    shiggy,

I have a carbon post on my HT I like, but this is for my trail bike. I built it with a $10 seatpost while I figured out what seatpost I want.

Considering this is for a full suspension bike with large tubeless tires, would the harshness of the Thompson still be a concern for you? As for slippage, are you saying that the slip under proper torque, or do you just have to tighten more than the average aluminum seatpost?

Definitely appreciate any feedback you'd have, good or bad, and value your experience and opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by peteer01 View Post
    shiggy,

I have a carbon post on my HT I like, but this is for my trail bike. I built it with a $10 seatpost while I figured out what seatpost I want.

Considering this is for a full suspension bike with large tubeless tires, would the harshness of the Thompson still be a concern for you? As for slippage, are you saying that the slip under proper torque, or do you just have to tighten more than the average aluminum seatpost?

Definitely appreciate any feedback you'd have, good or bad, and value your experience and opinion.
    I have had Thomson posts slip on some frames no matter what I did. Swap for a different post(s) and it never moves.

I would be OK with a "harsh" post on a fully, but there are plenty of good reasonably light posts for much less money.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I have had Thomson posts slip on some frames no matter what I did. Swap for a different post(s) and it never moves.

I would be OK with a "harsh" post on a fully, but there are plenty of good reasonably light posts for much less money.
    One of those is what I'm hoping to find. I was assuming that a titanium seatpost would be the right way to go light without the risks/limitation that come with fiber, but I'm not set on a specific material.

Are the light, quality posts you're talking about primarily aluminum alloys, titanium or carbon? Any recommendations based on a full suspension that would need a 31.6 350mm+ seatpost? (350mm would be fine, but I'm using a 400mm right now.)

I'm not opposed to spending up to $150. The Masterpiece is rated for XC riding, and this is a trail bike. I don't necessarily care about the amount flex, but I don't want to experience slippage, catastrophic failure, and if there is a failure of sorts, I'd like to be able to have it taken care of under warranty. I also don't want to have to regrease a seatpost every three months, as with my current seatposts, I want to set them and forget them. And, of course, something reasonably lightweight. I don't think I'm asking to much.

mtbr member

RE: Why aren't titanium seatposts more popular?

I used a Thomson masterpiece in my fs rail/AM bike for years with the occasional dh duty. On a fs bike i dont think there is a person on the planet that could feel 'harshness' from a seatpost alone all other things being equal. Throw on tubeless amd forget about it. Never had a slippage problem. If you experience this use a little friction paste.

Re: titanium when i was building my bike they were just too expensive for the weight and strength IMO. If money is no object then that might be a different story for you.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg View Post
    I used a Thomson masterpiece in my fs rail/AM bike for years with the occasional dh duty. On a fs bike i dont think there is a person on the planet that could feel 'harshness' from a seatpost alone all other things being equal. Throw on tubeless amd forget about it. Never had a slippage problem. If you experience this use a little friction paste.

Re: titanium when i was building my bike they were just too expensive for the weight and strength IMO. If money is no object then that might be a different story for you.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express
    I can and do feel the difference. Had a Thompson on my gravel bike and was being beaten up on fast washboard sections.
    Changed to a cheap carbon post--only the post was different--and the bike smoothed out on the same routes. This with just 13cm of exposed post. Same tires/pressures. Same wheels. Same bar/stem. Same saddle. Same rider. Same everything except the post.

The Thomson posts that slipped, slipped no matter what. Friction paste, more grease, no grease, super tight clamp, shims, different clamps. Still slipped. Always.
    Change the post. No problems. None. Period. Done.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    I can and do feel the difference. Had a Thompson on my gravel bike and was being beaten up on fast washboard sections.
    Changed to a cheap carbon post--only the post was different--and the bike smoothed out on the same routes. This with just 13cm of exposed post. Same tires/pressures. Same wheels. Same bar/stem. Same saddle. Same rider. Same everything except the post.

The Thomson posts that slipped, slipped no matter what. Friction paste, more grease, no grease, super tight clamp, shims, different clamps. Still slipped. Always.
    Change the post. No problems. None. Period. Done.
    Interesting, although a couple of things: they were during different runs and probably different lines. Also you knew of the switch so it wasn't blind, there may be a placebo going on there especially if you are looking for it. It sounds like you could very well,feel the difference but at the same time there is was still a chance that something else was going on.

I now have two Thomson masterpiece seatposts on two different bikes and neither slip at all. After many years (well, i guess only two full seasons for the second one). I guess the old YMMV definitely applies here.

Interesting, although a couple of things: they were during different runs and probably different lines. Also you knew of the switch so it wasn't blind, there may be a placebo going on there especially if you are looking for it. It sounds like you could very well,feel the difference but at the same time there is was still a chance that something else was going on.

I now have two Thomson masterpiece seatposts on two different bikes and neither slip at all. After many years (well, i guess only two full seasons for the second one). I guess the old YMMV definitely applies here.
    The ride difference was not subtle. Far from it. This was not just a short test ride but over many 5+ hour trips. The kind where you forget about what you are riding.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Re: titanium when i was building my bike they were just too expensive for the weight and strength IMO.
    I was specifically looking at Carver Bikes (Ti Seatpost).

With the right coupon code, that would be possible for less than $150. I know it's not as light as the Thompson Masterpiece, but if it were rock solid, durable, reasonably light, and would ride better than the Masterpiece, I wasn't opposed to waiting for a sale and potentially upgrading to something like that when the price is right.

mtbr member
    Never had my Thomson seat post slip, despite the heavily applied grease.

Sweat is just fat crying.
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    Yeah, same here.
    Mountain Biking Is Not A Crime stickers, free! (You pay postage. PM me for details.)

mtbr member
    I was specifically looking at Carver Bikes (Ti Seatpost).

With the right coupon code, that would be possible for less than $150. I know it's not as light as the Thompson Masterpiece, but if it were rock solid, durable, reasonably light, and would ride better than the Masterpiece, I wasn't opposed to waiting for a sale and potentially upgrading to something like that when the price is right.
    Yup, but you have to compare apples to apples. Thomson MP go for less than msrp. I recall last month it was $112 shipped to US from CRC. Sometimes they go for less,on ebay and every now and then you can find a v.good price on pinkbike. But less than $150 for a titanium post is a good price too. It comes down to what you are after. And just b/c someone else experienced an issue with a seatpost doesn't mean you will either. Or just b/c someone else didnt experience an issue it doesn't mean you wont either. With either seatpost there is enough demand to resell them if you do experience an issue or doesn't meet your expectations.

mtbr member
    I used a Thomson masterpiece in my fs rail/AM bike for years with the occasional dh duty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Finch Platte View Post
    Yeah, same here.
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    Are all three of you talking about Thomson Masterpiece seatposts? (I know Dr. Zoidberg is)

Also, do any of you adjust your seatpost mid ride with a quick release seatpost clamp?

I normally don't adjust mid ride, but if I'm on a long ride with extended up followed by extended down (or vice-versa), I'd like to be able to adjust the seatpost a bit accordingly mid ride and not worry about excessive torque or slippage.

wannabee
    I ride Thomson on all my bikes, slipping is never an issue.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Ti posts are neither cheap, nor particularly light.
    For similar money you can save 50-100 grams going with a decent carbon post, and won't suffer much in terms of comfort.
    2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross
    Sram Red
    Syncros Carbon Wheelset

2014 Lapierre ProRace 729

I am employed by a bike shop.

mtbr member

Also, do any of you adjust your seatpost mid ride with a quick release seatpost clamp?
    Not me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishExperiment View Post
    Ti posts are neither cheap, nor particularly light.
    For similar money you can save 50-100 grams going with a decent carbon post, and won't suffer much in terms of comfort.
    I agree I can save some weight going carbon instead of Ti, but I wouldn't be comfortable using a carbon seatpost with a seat clamp that I'm adjusting mid-ride. I would feel comfortable doing that with an aluminum or titanium seatpost, which is why I'd prefer to not go carbon for this particular bike.

mtbr member
    Are all three of you talking about Thomson Masterpiece seatposts? (I know Dr. Zoidberg is)

Yes on both counts

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

I've had the same Dean titanium seat post for 22 years and its on my hard tail, it's like another poster said like you rear tire has 10 psi, smooth and supple, a very good choice for a hard tail.

Ride Instigator
    There are Thomson posts and there are all those other posts...Thomson doesn't make a ti post so I have no reason to own one.

I love Pisgah
    I have 7 Thomson posts in service currently. All being Masterpiece except 1 Elite(its been in service since 02). Never ever ever had a Thomson slip. I have had an Alien carbon slip sometimes in a Giant roadie using the oem rubber sleeve. Been several yrs since that happened tho.

Strangely I've never bought a Thomson. All the Masterpieces were acquired from racing results swag, via those free Thomson product gift thingies. The Masterpiece post was a no brainer regarding the choice of "one free Thomson item". Super light. Handsome looking. Strong. No slip. Easy to use saddle clamp. Awesome post. The Elite came on a used bike way back then. Still works and looks new-ish.

The only other post I like as much or even more is the Extralite UL The Post. Slightly lighter, oem ti clamp bolts, and super well made. Alas, its crazy expensive and very hard to get. Hence why I only have one of those.

The end
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast