Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Why am I the only person that wears a Pro-tec helmet?

Why don't people use BMX style helmets? They fit a lot tighter and just feel safer than futuristic ultralight giro helmets. A top end BMX stlye helmet is also $40.

AZ
    banned
    Uhhhhmmmm, their hot with minimal ventilation?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    biking is a hot sport my man

AZ
    banned
    Biking does not have to include heat stroke and brain damage, wear what you will but please consider that there are alternatives.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by SpAgetttt View Post
    biking is a hot sport my man
    Like AZ said, there are ways to mitigate that heat. Do you also wear jeans and cotton t-shirts when you ride?
    Nothing wrong with BMX/skate lids from a safety standpoint (nor is there a safety compromise with a Giro despite what it feels like to you), but damn, they're hot.

High Gravity Haze
    Air flow is the #1 reason for me. 95 degrees and 88% humidity in Southeast TN turns a BMX helmet into a mobile brain oven plus a tight fitting helmet induces migraines for me; a true ride killer.

Purpose built mountain/road helmets=
    Lighter weight (after enough miles on one trip the weight matters in your neck muscles)
    Thicker protective foam built into the shell
    Ventilation

mtbr member
    I had a B2 for awhile, nice helmet, but the shape didn't fit my skull properly. Swapped it for a F14, much better fit.

banned
    I wear one in the winter, helps keep the head warm.

Ride Responsibly
    I am a little surprised more riders do not choose the bmx/skate lids also. The cycle lids are usually one crash and dispose, while the skate lids are able to sustain multiple crashes. Wear what you want.

agree 100% with the thermal reasons for not wearing one. a good ventilated helmet gets hot enough as it is when it's 100+F outside and on hard rides, I have to stop and take it off from time to time to cool off already. BMX lid doesn't ventilate well enough for me. neither option is any less safe than the other, so ride what you like and leave other people alone for choosing a different option.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Skateboard helmets are not rated the same as bicycle helmets, so if you're going to go with that style, make sure it's bicycle specific.

All helmets are the same (differing in crash standards, of course), they are just foam with a plastic covering. Unless it's a fashion thing, there really isn't any benefit to wear a BMX style helmet for mountain biking. In other words, a XC roadie style helmet is just as safe as a "thick foam" BMX helmet. Also, a $250 helmet will not protect you any more than a $30 helmet - the only difference being in chin retention adjustability options, weight and ventilation.

If I rode in the snow or extreme cold, I would consider a BMX style helmet.

From Buyer's Guide to Bicycle Helmets
    The ASTM standards for biking and inline skating are identical. But aggressive skating and skateboard helmets have their own ASTM standard, designed for multiple hits with lesser impact severity. Those helmets may not handle bicycle impacts. Do not use a skate helmet for bicycling unless it has a CPSC sticker certifying that it meets the CPSC bicycle helmet standard!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    I am a little surprised more riders do not choose the bmx/skate lids also. The cycle lids are usually one crash and dispose, while the skate lids are able to sustain multiple crashes. Wear what you want.
    Because most riders do not have multiple impacts to the head when mountain biking. I have probably only actually needed my helmet once, and even then no damage was done to it. So for me ventilation is more important than the ability to take multiple impacts.
    2012 On One Whippet 650b
    2012 Santa Cruz TRc 650b
    2014 On One Dirty Disco
    2010 Soma Groove
    1987 Haro RS1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec7 View Post
    Air flow is the #1 reason for me. 95 degrees and 88% humidity in Southeast TN turns a BMX helmet into a mobile brain oven plus a tight fitting helmet induces migraines for me; a true ride killer.

Purpose built mountain/road helmets=
    Lighter weight (after enough miles on one trip the weight matters in your neck muscles)
    Thicker protective foam built into the shell
    Ventilation
    +1
    Well put.
    WARNING : Do not ride your bicycle until you have read and thoroughly understood the owners manual.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith View Post
    Because most riders do not have multiple impacts to the head when mountain biking. I have probably only actually needed my helmet once, and even then no damage was done to it. So for me ventilation is more important than the ability to take multiple impacts.
    Totally agreed. Last week was the first time I actually "needed" a helmet in four years or so of regular riding. Sure, I've had plenty of spills and dabbles, but the last crash resulted in the plastic lid being lifted off the foam part of the helmet, with many dents across the shell. 'Tis the life of a helmet that was worn during a parking-lot tumble at ~15 MPH.

I looked the helmet, figured out that my head was a little woozy, and decided to replace that helmet (Bell Furio). Now I've got a Giro Atmos waiting to be ridden.

Another thing I like about road helmets that I haven't seen on BMX helmets is the retention system with a little adjustable knob in the back. Giro calls it "Pro-Loc." It makes it a lot easier to get that snug fit on my head, especially between hair cuts.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

Nickel Havr
    I have a Red HiFi that I wear... And man is it HOT! I wear it because I already had the Contour HD mounts on the helmet.

I am in the market for a better ventilated, lighter weight helmet though....
    Quote Originally Posted by William Blake
    Great things are done when men and mountains meet. This is not done by jostling in the street .

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    pro-tec Cyphon, which i wear, has plenty of vents. Cool enough. Fits my head perfectly, and lots of protection. My full-face helmet is also pro-tec, the Auger. Great helmet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I wear a skate style helmet when it is cool out. I get real weird looks on the trail because I have devil horns glued to it, Look at my profile page and you will see them

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I have this and recommend it. Cross between an XC and BMX lid.

2011 Remedy 9, for everything.
    2008 Jamis Kromo, for back yard pump track.
    2009 Hoffman BMX, to break my neck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpAgetttt View Post
    Why don't people use BMX style helmets? They fit a lot tighter and just feel safer than futuristic ultralight giro helmets. A top end BMX stlye helmet is also $40.
    I agree and often wander if im the only one wearing one
    08 giant reign x1
    09 mongoose tyax elite
    09 avanti derelikt

mtbr member
    Try the Poc Trabec. It is designed more like a skate helmet and gives superior coverage around the lower parts of the head. They are very light weight. Ventilation is the best of any helmet I have used.

Its all Shits and Giggles until somebody Giggles and Shits

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_in_AZ View Post
    I have this and recommend it. Cross between an XC and BMX lid.

That looks hot, but looks like a quality helmet (ala the POC helmets). Those 4 (?) holes don't look like they ventilate near as well as the average XC helmet.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    That looks hot, but looks like a quality helmet (ala the POC helmets). Those 4 (?) holes don't look like they ventilate near as well as the average XC helmet.
    No, you're right, not nearly as good as an xc helmet. However, I've been riding mine every day in 108-111 degree heat in Yuma and find it tolerable. And it doesn't look like anything a roadie would wear and that makes me happy.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_in_AZ View Post
    No, you're right, not nearly as good as an xc helmet. However, I've been riding mine every day in 108-111 degree heat in Yuma and find it tolerable. And it doesn't look like anything a roadie would wear and that makes me happy.
    So you'd rather suffer than appear like a road cyclist (even though you're on a bike just the same and who da phuck cares what you look like)? Masochist much?
    Last edited by whodaphuck; 08-18-2011 at 01:14 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by whodaphuck View Post
    So you'd rather suffer than appear like a road cyclist (even though you're on a mountain bike off road)? Masochist much?
    To be clear, I have nothing against 'road cyclists' I just think the typical roadie helmet looks retarded. Like a mushroom. I just wanted something different.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LWright View Post
    Really? I've have a number of crashes on mine (Giro E2) and, and other than some scratches, it's still rocking.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast