mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Who uses (and likes) their non-remote dropper post?

If so, why and what kind do you use? I know dropper post remotes are pretty cool, I'm just wondering how non-remote posts are working for people. Should I consider one or not?

mtbr member
    I hardly ever use it because it's a pain in the ass to use. It came with the bike. It seems simple enough but taking your hand off the bars and reaching between your legs to grab the lever as you enter or exit a technical section is awkward. If your approach is a fire road and your exit is a fire road then no problem. Mine is an older Crank Brothers model. It's smooth and functional but not very user friendly while actually riding the trail. I have been wondering if there is a way to turn it into a remote model. I have looked at their site and they don't make it anymore........I know why. If you really want a dropper post I would suggest spending the extra money and buy a remote model.
    "El Cajon?, that's the anus of San Diego"

mtbr member
    I've never used a non-remote, but after riding a remote controlled post for 18 months now, I can't imagine going without it. With the control right at my thumb, it is so easy to raise or lower that I do it even for short sections of trail, and can still have both hands on my bars and not slow down a bit. On some rides, I'll raise and lower a dozen times.

I would definitely go with the remote -- taking your hand off the bars, finding the lever, and holding it while you lower would be only slightly more convenient than stopping and using the QR IMO.
    '11 Specialized Enduro Expert for the trails
    '13 Felt Z4 for the road

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have one bike with a remote dropper and one with a non-remote dropper. The non-remote is an older Joplin and it works just fine for adjusting saddle height instead of adjusting it with a quick release seatpost clamp. I would not recommend it for on-the-fly use though.

T.W.O.
    I have both Maverick and joplin that's lever activated. They are good and I like them just fine. It's easy to move it from one bike to another as long as they have the same 31.6". It's less clutter on the handlebar. If you only need to raised it up on the climb and drop it on the descend it would be just fine.

That said I also have quite a few more of the remote version as well, they are definitely better on the trail as you'd move it up/down several times per ride. It also allow you to do more things at once as needed like shift-brake-drop all without your hand off the handlebar.

The lever version may be easy to operate one hand on the paved road or smooth fireroad, but not always apply to the real riding.

mtbr member
    if youre going to spend the money, get a remote. I've never used the lever ones, but I drop my post so often now that I would hate to have to reach under my seat.

keep the flow going.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I've been using a lever-actuated KS i900 for about 5 years now, and there have only been a few times where I didn't feel comfortable taking a hand off of the bar to lower or raise the seat. It is a bit awkward at times when I need to shift or brake and raise or lower my seat, but I see that as a fair trade for less bar clutter and flopping cables.

mtbr member
    i had a kind shock lev and it was great. very scary to let go of the bars at the worst possible time. but hey... if its a trail I knew well it was easy to time the up and down BUT if i was having a banger of a day it would slip my mind or cause me to slow down more then i would have liked. on new trails it was about useless.

I also have a gravity dropper .. the remote makes all the difference. Without it the seat post is useless about 80% of the time