Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Who has a bike is worth more than their car?

Everyone thinks I am nuts to have such a pricey bike and beat down car. To me it is totally warranted because the bike has a lot of pleasurable value in it for me. Cars are great, but I drive like a grandma and ride my bike like a downhill racer. Cars get me from point a to b but I don't get the pure pleasure of adrenaline driving one like riding an intense technical trail on my mountain bike.

My car is the best though. Totally attached to it, taken me everywhere, never let me down and still runs great.

Kelly Blue Book Value
    1998 Montero Sport 4WD 150K miles $2349.00

2013 Intense Carbine 27.5 $5500.00

Who has a bike is worth more than their car?-camping-pics-08-05-098.jpgWho has a bike is worth more than their car?-img_0035.jpg
    Last edited by aliikane; 08-03-2014 at 09:16 PM.

mtbr member

Well, I'm a utilitarian cyclist, so I guess I'm in this category. I no longer own a car, and ride everywhere I need to go, unless it's a family trip, which calls for my wife's minivan.

But, my bike is worth as much as I sold my Blazer for.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Yeah. I love my Ranger, but it's now legally old enough to drink the 30 proof Ethanol if it were a person. The truck works for what I need, and I'm putting in almost as much time piloting the bike as the truck, so I am OK with that.

Saw one guy with an even cheaper ranger, and a brand new Bronson on it a couple months back - I gave him the nice bike followed by a fistbump, and he didn't seem that pleased about being in the same situation, but I wholeheartedly meant that as a compliment.

Readin & Postin since '02
    Jul 2006
    Ha! Count me in. My road bike would be about $7K to replace, my 2000 'burb and my 2000 ML aren't worth that anymore...

mtbr member
    Lol this was me until 2 weeks ago...

Had a 02 Chevy Impala until
    the tranny decided to stop working, so I upgraded to a 13 Kia Optima...

Bike is a Trek Fuel EX8 29er $2900...
    2014 TREK FUEL EX8 29er
    2015 TREK FARLEY 6

Retro on Steroids
    Bought the used pickup for $2000. EVERYBODY's bike is worth more than that. I have half a dozen worth more.
    It don't mean a feng if it ain't got that
    shui.

My bike is a good bit older than my car. Good bike, but it's still definitely worth a lot less than the car. Both are paid off, though, so no worries. Car's a 2007 Honda Fit. No frills, dead reliable. Just what I want in a car.

About to get a new bike...might be worth close to as much as the car, but I'm sure not paying retail for any of it. Not that I care that much.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I also agree with the poster above about not paying retail for a bike. I have been biking my entire life and have never bought a new bike. All my bikes were really good used bikes off craigslist that I've repaired and replace parts that i didn't like. But had they been new i guess they would cost more than my cheapest car ~$2k.

mtbr member
    I think my bike is nearly worth more than both our cars put together! Wife wants to upgrade the car, I want a new bike....

mtbr member
    I don't care about cars, but I have a reliable one that I take to Costco every couple of weeks. My most expensive bike is worth about twice what the car is worth, but my commuter bike is worth about $100, because I lock it up downtown daily.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    I usually get a couple laughs when I mention to my riding friends how silly I think it would be to pay more for a car than I would for a bike.
    Probably 90% of the time I'm in my car, I'm irritated about something, usually traffic. It's impossible to be on a bike and not in a good mood. Which does it make sense to pay for?

mtbr member

Re: Who has a bike is worth more than their car?

Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Probably 90% of the time I'm in my car, I'm irritated about something, usually traffic. It's impossible to be on a bike and not in a good mood. Which does it make sense to pay for?
    Exactly!

For me, a vehicle is a way to get from A to B, nothing more. Mountain biking brings me happiness, so it just seems logical to invest in happiness!

On a related note, my boat is worth roughly 3 times as much as my '98 4runner

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I'm almost the other way around, until a bit over a year ago, I never bought a new car. The majority of my bikes were new. My cars are used that I've repaired and replaced parts I didn't like , until recently.
    Quote Originally Posted by xmrevo8x View Post
    I also agree with the poster above about not paying retail for a bike. I have been biking my entire life and have never bought a new bike. All my bikes were really good used bikes off craigslist that I've repaired and replace parts that i didn't like. But had they been new i guess they would cost more than my cheapest car ~$2k.

mtbr member
    My 10+ year old bikes are definitely worth less then my 8 year old car.

mtbr member
    I have a 96 Sonoma I paid $1k for, have twice that in my bike! Lol
    Sent from my Nokia Stupid Phone using Tapatalk
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I drive a salvage titled Volvo wagon worth about $2000 and a Turner 5 Spot valued at priceless. Seriously tho, the bike is definitely worth more than the car by a couple grand. The bike also makes me much much happier when riding than the car does when driving.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    If you really don't care about and don't want to spend your cash on the status symbol stuff many associate with cars then it totally makes sense that you spend more on bikes.
    I am pretty sure it is just about impossible for a bike to be worth more than a car where I live due to the huge taxes and costs the Govt puts on motor vehicle ownership and usage. A cheap new car will cost US$60,000 minimum as there is a bidding system for entitlement to own this can go up to about $80,000. Something in the so called 'luxury' end like a BMW starts at $150K

Funny thing is we have one of the best and most affordable public transport systems I've come across, but most people still take out housing loans to bid for entitlement and buy cars; the roads are always jammed. Parking is scarce and costs a fortune, they even have electronic pricing on the roads, which can cost up to $5 per road per use. It isn't really any more convenient than cycling, bus or subway. I am cool with all of this though; as I have never had a car here all the people who want them and are willing to pay for them are keeping my income tax down

Rogue Exterminator
    I think it is silly for people to waste their money on expensive cars.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    I do, but more so because my truck is an old beater, not that I spend a crazy amount on bikes.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I have some money tied up in bikes for sure, not enough to equal either one of our cars though.

Mine
    2014 Giant Propel Advanced (Custom built) - $8k
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 27.5-1 - $7k

Wife
    2013 Trek Domane - $3500
    2014 Giant Lust Advanced - $4500
    2013 Giant Anthem Advance 27.5-1

2014 Giant Propel Advance w/ Ultegra

Rogue Exterminator
    To actually answer the question, up until last year the answer was yes. Not that I a crazy amount in bikes but I had a little car that I bought for $1400. I sold that because I really needed a truck/suv to fit my lifestyle so I bought a nice used 99 4runner for $4300 that I have had for almost a year now.

I buy cars for cash. Thought about financing one and even had the loan but just couldn't justify financing a depreciating asset. In my opinion it is ridiculous to pay interest on something that depreciates in value. I could by a nicer vehicle but to me a vehicle is simply a tool and as long as that tool still does the job well, I don't need to buy a new one. Bikes however are a form of entertainment and a way to keep healthy. You can't put a price on either. However, I still don't finance them.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member

Re: Who has a bike is worth more than their car?

Quote Originally Posted by kjlued View Post
    To actually answer the question, up until last year the answer was yes. Not that I a crazy amount in bikes but I had a little car that I bought for $1400. I sold that because I really needed a truck/suv to fit my lifestyle so I bought a nice used 99 4runner for $4300 that I have had for almost a year now.
    4runners 4life! Lol I've had my '98 for about 7 years now and put 80k hard miles on it in that time and all I've had to replace is a starter. Over 200k now and still going strong. They're damn near bulletproof

I build my own.
    Always, and I ride some pretty cheap bikes too. I've never paid more than $1000 for a vehicle. Usually trucks or vans.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

mtbr member
    I just think it is great to see an expensive high end mountain bike clamped to the roof of just a beat down car. When I see that, I think "that person is a hardcore mountain biker".

I eat cats
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    4runners 4life! Lol I've had my '98 for about 7 years now and put 80k hard miles on it in that time and all I've had to replace is a starter. Over 200k now and still going strong. They're damn near bulletproof
    That's why I bought one a couple of years ago when I got rear ended and had to total my previous car. I bought it brand new and while I did finance it I put 15k down and almost have it paid off already by making double payments. Plan on driving it for many more years.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast