Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Professional Crastinator
    My bike has always been worth more to me than my vehicle, no matter how much either one cost.

-F
    It's never easier - you just go faster.

T.W.O.
    There's no such thing

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I come from the same mold. Coming from a motorcycle enduro background, my motorcycles are worth more than the vehicles I haul them in and I am proud of it. Just got into MTB last week and love it. I have 3 rides and realize I need to be in much better shape cardio wise. I rode the motorcycle on Sunday and had 2 rides on the mountain bike earlier that week and rode much faster on the "iron horse".....

FBI tested, NSA approved!
    I'll take a different approach, my mountain bikes ('11 Fisher Paragon and '13 Salsa Fargo) aren't worth more (resale value) than my '06 Honda Ridgeline but I would argue that they are worth more based on they're savings potential. My drive to work it 22 miles each way (44 miles x $.56 {current mileage reimbursement from Federal Government} = $24.64). My ride to work is 17.6 miles (short course) each way (35.2 = $.06 {average annual cost of maintenance divided by miles/year over the last 31 years adjusted to 2014 dollars} = $2.11). Now it can be argued that the $22.53 I "make" every day is off-set by the extra 100 minutes I "waste" riding, but I work on salary and get home by the time my wife and son return from his after school practices (football or marching band) and I would argue that the open-heart surgery/heart attack cost is still higher so I'll stick with my first set of numbers.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    1996 Suzuki Swift with no AC, approx value $1,000. 2010 Giant Trance X2 with many upgrades, actually nothings stock- $3000, 2011 Giant Anthem X 29er -$2400, 2014 Banshee Paradox - $?.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    My next car will be 1976 or older, "pre-smog," as cheap as possible.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Sounds like me. Drive a dented '98 Camry with 160,000 miles and a $3000 bike on it.

That car's made it up some ridiculous washed-out fire roads.

mtbr member
    I don't have a car right now so... :P

mtbr member
    May 2011
    5 grand worth of car, 12 grand between the two main bikes.
    2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross
    Sram Red
    Syncros Carbon Wheelset

2014 Lapierre ProRace 729

I am employed by a bike shop.

mtbr member
    I was thinking of trading my 2004 Mazda 6 last year and was offerddy $2k for it. My Spearfish was $2,500.
    Friends don let friends ride road bikes.
    http://www.facebook.com/mikebmiller

Inspector Gadget

Who has a bike is worth more than their car?

$4500 bike hauled in my $2000 commuter car. I take my wheels off and my bike fits nicely inside with a hatch back eclipse. All 3 of my vehicles are over 10 years old and paid off.
    I hope you have a big trunk... cause I'm gonna put my bike in it!

mtbr member
    The newest car in my driveway is 26 years old and still does what i want it to do .
    the average age of my cars is 36 but the dirt bike fleet is split between 05 and 2010

T.W.O.
    Which ones

speed freak
    May 2007
    Im a rare car nut that loves biking... Ive got an old car with about 50 grand in mods in it, and Im not quite finished with it. Will make nearly 2000 horsepower in a street car when finished next summer. That said, Im looking for a new 650 b carbon SantaCruz when the car is done.
    '06 Test Bike Blue Specalized FSRxc Pro
    '95 Violet Pearl Cannondale Killer-V 900
    WTB '97 Tangerine Cannondale Killer-V 900

T.W.O.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3ftabove View Post
    Im a rare car nut that loves biking... Ive got an old car with about 50 grand in mods in it, and Im not quite finished with it. Will make nearly 2000 horsepower in a street car when finished next summer. That said, Im looking for a new 650 b carbon SantaCruz when the car is done.
    Did you say Two thousand horsepower? How the heck are you going to put that power to the tires More important question do you have a pilot license Kudos man!!

mtbr member
    We had this discussion recently... Three carbon bikes (Ibis Mojo HD, Spesh Stumpy Evo Expert carbon, Remedy 9.9 carbon) + another Spesh Stumpy Evo with a Pike... All in the bed of a '99 Tacoma beater pickup with 200k miles in it.

We also thought it was funny that we'll trust a bike rack with such high dollar bikes as well
    '14 Remedy 9 - Pike, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon
    '14 Jet9 RDO - Reverb, XT's, XO/X9, hookless carbon

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Does it count if every single bike you own is worth more than your car, because you don't own a car?

If so, yes.

I didn't intend to breach the subject of total operating expense, but it's a valid point. In my case I estimate the real cost of car ownership to be around $1.00/mile (including cost of the vehicle minus depreciation, gas, insurance....). The argument could be made that my commuting is not an efficient use of my time (relative to hourly rate of my salary). My counter argument will always be check the numbers. My Ridgeline costs around (using $.56/mile for non-fixed costs) $25 dollars to drive round trip and that takes 70 minutes each day. My bike costs (using $.06/mile) $2.00 to ride round trip and that takes 160 minutes each day. The delta is -$23.00, +90 minutes. I can look at the 90 minutes as wasted time or I could subtract 60 minutes for the workout I would replace it with and end up making $23 in 30 minutes (reasonable). In my case, my work allows 3 hours of exercise each week so I'm really all profit there and I'd just watch more TV or play more cards/games/etc... after work if I got home early anyway (we all run out of projects at some point each night). The math I use (when I'm selling my wife on something like a new Fargo) is the time spent riding minus the time I'd be driving, minus the time from work to exercise, minus the expense of a heartattack is alway less than the cost of a new bike and a few minutes of lost sleep.
    The most expensive bike in the world is still cheaper than the cheapest open heart surgery.

beater
    Worth more? Maybe not. Bikes don't hold value that well either. Paid more for the bike? Absolutely.

Who has a bike is worth more than their car?-img_3610resized.jpg
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

T.W.O.

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    Worth more? Maybe not. Bikes don't hold value that well either. Paid more for the bike? Absolutely.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3610resized.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	136.9 KB 
ID:	915137
    Now that's a mountain bike, mean and dirty. Good job.

Sent from my iPad mini using Tapatalk HD

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by mimi1885 View Post
    Now that's a mountain bike, mean and dirty. Good job.
    It doesn't often look like that, but you'll notice there's a number plate on it.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    The math I use (when I'm selling my wife on something like a new Fargo) is the time spent riding minus the time I'd be driving, minus the time from work to exercise, minus the expense of a heartattack is alway less than the cost of a new bike and a few minutes of lost sleep.
    You, sir, are a wizard.

Which ones

Usually (and I don't mean this as a critique) when someone says "I could really go for some Ti tonight" they spell it Thai. You may have an addiction.

T.W.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Forster View Post
    Usually (and I don't mean this as a critique) when someone says "I could really go for some Ti tonight" they spell it Thai. You may have an addiction.
    That's why I took the 12 steps
    Step one stop buying ti
    Step two buy more carbon
    Step three

Actually, that's half my ti collection.

That's why I took the 12 steps
    Step one stop buying ti
    Step two buy more carbon
    Step three

Actually, that's half my ti collection.

So step #4 is quit the program, step #5 is go to bike store, step #6 is relapse and buy another, then back to step #1 until the equation N+1=garage volume/bike size?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast