mtbr member

whipping rear tire tips?

I've seen a few videos on youtube where bikers go on a sharp turn and whip their rear tires. does anyone have any tips on how i can do that or videos?

thanks in advance.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Can you post a video so we know what you're talking about? Are you referring to like a skid/slide? Or actually getting the rear of the bike up in the air and whipping it around?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member

Please don't

Skidding rips the heck out of the trail. Next rain, the soils gone and the rocks rule. Soon, if enough bikers ride like this, there's a "No bicycles" sign at the trail head. Just because we can do things doesn't mean that they're all good ideas.

B.Ike
    ride, don"t slide

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sounds like turning into a sharp switchback, holding on the front brake, doing a little endo and then whipping the rear wheel into alignment with the front.
    Bikes, lots'o bikes

mtbr member
    If that's the case, a good way to begin getting the feel of your rear wheel up in the air is to put a small log, rock or something else in the trail that you can use to "bounce" your rear wheel up in the air. There's a small tree down on a trail by me that's on a turn and I usually hop my front tire over it, start turning, then pop the rear end off of it, up, and around the turn. Having a hard time wording this for some reason, so I hope this helps. Holding the front brake does help, as joshhan said, however for someone just learning this motion I would suggest no brake at first. Don't wanna go OTB! Another possible helpful bit would be learing to do 180 degree endo's.
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

How much further ???
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Can you post a video so we know what you're talking about? Are you referring to like a skid/slide? Or actually getting the rear of the bike up in the air and whipping it around?
    Last edited by Douger-1; 11-14-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    I've seen a few videos on youtube where bikers go on a sharp turn and whip their rear tires. does anyone have any tips on how i can do that or videos?

thanks in advance.
    Hop a bit to get some weight off the tire, and/or some front and/or rear brake, and/or lean forward to put weight on front or lean into turn more.
    I like to ride with a bigger more aggressive rounder tire up front just for this reason. It's fun to add a bit of point and shoot steering and good for speed control sometimes.
    Last edited by theMeat; 11-14-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    "Tortured by mental illness" ~monogod

human dehumidifier
    -rep for video too small

(not really)
    I may or may not be laughing at you.

why in the hell would you autoplay a vid embed? dammit.

also, don't do the skid/slide/drift thing. all it's good for is showing off.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post

Yeah the auto play needs to be removed....

Rear wheel sliding skidding has plenty of uses....Done well and in appropriote places does not increase trail damage.

When riding down steep scree slopes the rocks are at their angle of repose. To control speed and direction one must lock the rear wheel and use the hips to move the rear end from side to side.

This mimics skiing....

Basically any descent of a scree slope will cause the rocks to move, so no additional damage occurs...

On snow and ice often whipping and skidding the rear wheel provide the required traction to change direction....or stop.

Basically no damage occurs since the trail beneath is frozen.

However skidding down a forest trail with switchbacks can easily be done with tight turns or a stoppie to lift the rear wheel around...

Skidding a switchback will result in very quick dirt removal.....unless of course the switchback is on hard rock.

How much further ???

Sorry dude. I was trying to help and just copied the embedded code from the Whistler site. You can ask me to remove it without neg repping. Thats a dick move IMO. Movie removed.

And sorry to all. Didnt know it contained code for autoplay. I will check next time.
    “Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did." Mark Twain

bikeaholic
    Aug 2004
    all it's good for is showing off.
    ... and having tons of fun. Keep hating.

mtbr member
    This thread was me envisioning people locking their rear brakes all over the trails like little
    kids on their huffys in a dirt lot.

I think the OP is asking about getting the rear to break free a bit on its own around fast/steep corners -
    like a little mini-drift. It's about weight transfer and a little oomph on the good turns.

It is the solution for every corner? No. Does it have a place in the skill inventory? Absolutely.
    Time wounds all heels...

The Original Suspect
    I think these guys show a few examples.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=0zLuqKNKOqs

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Is he not talking about putting weight on the front wheel, lifting the rear, and repositioning the rear tire to make a switch back or such easier? I have no tips, I suck at this myself, just keep practicing.

mtbr member
    Hopefully the OP is asking about the technique in this video at 6:55

http://www.petefagerlin.com/video/rockgp.wmv

I can't say that I am proficient at it, but I have pulled it off a couple of times. It is front brake control and timing. As for practice I think the first thing would be to get good control of nose wheelies.
    I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things

insert blank disk
    I think he's talking about the skill that these guys have mastered!

SEA OF ROCK on Vimeo

Calling OP, what the hell are you talking about.....please clarify.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Troll.